Dale Tallon appreciation thread.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean, in LA, Dave Taylor drafted the guys like Kopitar, Quick, etc. But Dean Lombardi correctly deserves the credit for developing those players and bringing in the players to further develop the young team and turning the entire franchise into a Cup team.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Great summary; I think I’ve read something along the same lines before - DT was not the one to sew together a cup team.

Another thing you say here, which may be a bit early for many Panthers fans… but is critical… Bowman traded away the right guys after the first and second cup to keep it all going. I’m pretty sure Zito will do something similar. He knows whom he wants and will talk to Mo about it. He needs to make some key changes, some not that popular, to keep the cup engine burning.
It's mind boggling how quickly the team needs to turn around and deal with the "draft??" and free agency. Let's say they want to trade Ekblad, they'd might have to do it before the draft, which is in a few days...imagine he's celebrating with the guys and suddenly "oh by the way you are traded to Winnipeg for a McGroarty" what a bummer.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It's mind boggling how quickly the team needs to turn around and deal with the "draft??" and free agency. Let's say they want to trade Ekblad, they'd might have to do it before the draft, which is in a few days...imagine he's celebrating with the guys and suddenly "oh by the way you are traded to Winnipeg for a McGroarty" what a bummer.

These guys are professionals and they know what they've signed up for. I'm thinkin that ~90% of the NHLers will never hoist the Cup and being part of a SC winning team is mostly pure luck. There's plenty of players who haven't hoisted the Cup and would've been more worthy of hoisting the Cup than Ekky.

Tallon got our 1C, 1D, and Bob. And the pieces Zito used to upgrade. What ever metaphor you want to use.

Tallon stocked the cupboards, Zito baked a big ass cake.

imo the cupboards were pretty barren with no blue chip prospects and he's still the genius who traded two top6 players to Vegas for a 4th round pick.

• Wow
Reactions: KW and 16Skippy

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean that's silly to say. He deserves tons of credit for actually listening to his scouts in the proper way. He could have been stubborn and taken the #1 overall player (Jones was ranked above Mackinnon in final central scouting rankings) and big rugged American Defenseman. I am sure some scouts wanted Jones too. He picked the right one to listen to.
Yup, you have to know when to listen to your scouts and which ones to listen to. Plus you know, actually hiring them. No GM scouts all players by himself, that's impossible while running an NHL franchise. That's why you have scouts. Dale's mantra of big and strong down the middle, is why we have Barkov.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Which is why I had the "then got replaced by guy who was better at finishing the job."
In Chigaco it was Bowman and in Florida it was eventually Zito. I have never been fully blind to the fact that Dale isn't the guy who can take you to the finish line.

But without Dale you don't get here. So Dale and Zito. Nothing wrong with a 'power couple' :).

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It would seem to suck for Ek but imagine if we’d lost game 7, it would suck even more, coz he’d definitely be traded then. I’d tell Ek to suck it up cupcake, but he might like that metaphor…

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad