Proposal: DAL-TOR-CHI

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's less about the retention spot itself and more what the retention spot allows you to do. Toronto is far from the only team that will look to offload cap this summer and Bedard is a big enough lightning rod for free agents looking to sign a 1 year deal to regain some trade value. Take DeBrusk or Arvidsson for example. I could easily see one of them signing a 1 year deal in Toronto to raise their production next to Bedard and Hall, then move at the deadline to a contender.

I think you just chose the wrong team here for the retainer. I could absolutely see a team like Calgary (if like Mangiapane were to be included in the trade or something) or Anaheim willingly use one of their 3 slots to retain on Marner for the year.

It's definitely hard to say for sure where Marner would willingly waive and you may be right with those destinations. I would also include places like New York and LA as potential landing spots.
All of that is completely fair. I could see the same deal with CGY where Markstrom goes to TOR instead of Murphy. Calgary could then still sell to their fans that they got a 1st without retention for Markstrom.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Well that becomes a problem. You can't expect Oettinger and Johnston to take those team deals and then turn around and pay Marner 11M. Unless Johnston is extended this summer I don't see any way he gets less than 9M on his next deal. I am fully aware of what money comes off the books but they still need to fill out the rest of roster.
Oettinger and Johnston are objectively lesser players than Marner. On the same team it would make sense for both to be paid in line with Heiskanen and Hintz. I'd expect Robertson and Marner to be paid more than them.
Harley will get a relevant raise this summer and then they need to at least replace one of Lindell/Suter with an NHL level defenseman as maybe only Bichsel is NHL ready from their D prospects.
In 2025 they could have all of Harley, Bischel, Heiskanen, Lundkvist and ~10M to fill the last 2 spots.
Also if they decide to bring Pavelski back he will probably have a performance bonus again making the overages pretty moot.
From everything I've seen they aren't bringing Pavelski back - if they do I doubt they use bonuses like they did this season because it wouldn't make sense.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Disclaimer: this is only applicable if Dallas loses and wants to add an impact player.

To CHI: 50% of Marner’s salary (5.45M), DAL 2024 1st, Faksa, Liljegren
To DAL: Marner (50% retained)
To TOR: Murphy, Stankoven

Dallas can afford to re-sign Marner, Dallas is also a popular location amongst players so I’m assuming Marner would waive.
Dallas is getting crushed in that deal while Toronto is making out like bandits.

This would be more fair
To CHI: 50% of Marner’s salary (5.45M), TOR 2024 1st, Faksa, Liljegren

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Dallas is getting crushed in that deal while Toronto is making out like bandits.

This would be more fair
To CHI: 50% of Marner’s salary (5.45M), TOR 2024 1st, Faksa, Liljegren
Stankoven and Murphy for marner is a brutal return for the leafs... A mediocre defenceman and an undersized winger for a 90+ point player?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Does the cost of retention depend on the AAV or actual dollars owed? IIRC, Marner is owed a hefty signing bonus and his actual salary for next season is around 800k. Suppose Leafs pay the signing bonus, does it really cost a 1st round pick to retain 50% if the salary is 800k? Especially to a team that needs help reaching the cap floor.
Blackhawks are a rich team. They care more about the return

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Stankoven and Murphy for marner is a brutal return for the leafs... A mediocre defenceman and an undersized winger for a 90+ point player?
A 90 point player that in this scenario the leafs are trying to unload.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Does the cost of retention depend on the AAV or actual dollars owed? IIRC, Marner is owed a hefty signing bonus and his actual salary for next season is around 800k. Suppose Leafs pay the signing bonus, does it really cost a 1st round pick to retain 50% if the salary is 800k? Especially to a team that needs help reaching the cap floor.
Both.

If the trade happe ns once the signing bonus is paid, Dallas would need to pay him 193.75K in real $.

But his cap hit would be 2,72575M.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Disclaimer: this is only applicable if Dallas loses and wants to add an impact player.

To CHI: 50% of Marner’s salary (5.45M), DAL 2024 1st, Faksa, Liljegren

Dallas can afford to re-sign Marner, Dallas is also a popular location amongst players so I’m assuming Marner would waive.
A full season of retained salary at that amt would cost 6 1st round picks. If this was deadline it would be different

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Dallas passes on Marner. They’re committed to Seguin and his contract- they can’t take on the risk.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Doesn't mean they're going to trade him for peanuts
What leaf fans don’t seem to realize is acquiring Marner resets the internal salary structure of the acquiring team. Other than 6 teams, Marner becomes the highest paid player on the new team and he requires a new contract. Unless Marner is far and away the teams best player his contract is a huge problem.

Reactions: MajorWeber

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
What leaf fans don’t seem to realize is acquiring Marner resets the internal salary structure of the acquiring team. Other than 6 teams, Marner becomes the highest paid player on the new team and he requires a new contract. Unless Marner is far and away the teams best player his contract is a huge problem.
Everyone is well aware of the cap hit, that's why teams would have to send cap back the other way. What's attractive about his contract is that he's only owed league minimum after July 1. I'm sure a lot of teams would be looking at that too.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Everyone is well aware of the cap hit, that's why teams would have to send cap back the other way. What's attractive about his contract is that he's only owed league minimum after July 1. I'm sure a lot of teams would be looking at that too.
I think you are missing my point. For example if Anaheim acquires Marner and extends him at 11.5M then that sets the internal salary scale. As soon as one of their young players either out produces or comes close to Marner’s production, then you wind up with a problem. Same thing happened in Toronto, if Dubas hadn’t signed Tavares for 11M then Matthews and Marner wouldn’t have gotten their numbers.

Reactions: TBF1972

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What you don't realize is that if a team wants Marner, they will have to pay for him.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
A full season of retained salary at that amt would cost 6 1st round picks. If this was deadline it would be different
Yes - it's well documented that the cost of retention for one season is 1 1st round pick per million dollars against the cap.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I looked at Dallas team play yesterday and I don’t know where Marner would fit. Dallas core play with passion, block shots, take hits to make plays etc.. I certainly wouldn’t want him to poison my core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad