Confirmed Buy-Out [DAL] D Ryan Suter bought out by the Stars

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
One of Nill's bigger mistakes that he had a roster that required them to lean on Suter for the last two playoffs. They plausibly would have made the final in both years with a better, different defenseman.

I mean, you've got a guy there who has otherwise been a stalwart NHL professional for 19 NHL seasons. I don't think it was a massive blunder to lean on a guy who has always been leaned on even if he is at the end of his career.

Reactions: JKG33

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean, you've got a guy there who has otherwise been a stalwart NHL professional for 19 NHL seasons. I don't think it was a massive blunder to lean on a guy who has always been leaned on even if he is at the end of his career.
That's where you have to do some actual evaluation of the player as he is, not what he was before.

There was no excuse for keeping Suter after seeing him in the 2023 playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: LT and DRAGO 18

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
There's some reasonable excuse for not moving him... NMC, keeping Pavelski around, cap limitations due to other NMCs...

I think he was alright during the regular season but Nill really needed some extra youth in the backend that he could rely on down the stretch. Unfortunately, Lundqvist didn't take enough of a step and Hakanpaa was injured. Had to make a choice this year, and he chose a 'top of the regular season' because business > playoffs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And the thing is that both Parise and Suter had contracts for next season at their $7.5mill cap hit.

And these past 3 seasons were back diving on those deals and we've been that the players who got those types of deals almost all landed on LTIR, save for Luongo who retired and Sid who is playing it out but at $3 mill next year not $1 mill like most others.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Red Wings are going to re-hire Holland as GM for one day so he can sign Suter and Parise to one day contracts to retire as Red Wings and hold the presser he thought was a slam dunk 12 years ago.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
There's some reasonable excuse for not moving him... NMC, keeping Pavelski around, cap limitations due to other NMCs...

I think he was alright during the regular season but Nill really needed some extra youth in the backend that he could rely on down the stretch. Unfortunately, Lundqvist didn't take enough of a step and Hakanpaa was injured. Had to make a choice this year, and he chose a 'top of the regular season' because business > playoffs.
I agree. Add in the uncertainty about Nils, and our shortage of draft picks. Basically, even though he was a warm body, we would have to give up other assets to get another warm body for the third pair, and at least his weaknesses were known to the team and factored into their chemistry, which is never a given, even if Tanev fit right in.

But to think, we used to rake Nill over the coals for his insistence on keeping 8 D on the roster. Well, Suter being old and Nils being ineffective would have made 8 D a luxury. Nill skimped and it hurt.

All that said, I wonder if not resting Pavs and Suter more often during the season was the biggest blunder as they both crapped out in the playoffs pretty much.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Time to retire. He's completely washed and probably has been since even before this year. I think it was talked about last offseason that he was gonna be bought out, but it didn't happen.

I couldn't believe he got a 4 year deal after the last time he was bought out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Time to retire. He's completely washed and probably has been since even before this year. I think it was talked about last offseason that he was gonna be bought out, but it didn't happen.

I couldn't believe he got a 4 year deal after the last time he was bought out.
He got like another $10 mill more than what he would have made had Minny retained half in a trade with Dallas. Parise ended up probably under what he would have made without the buyout.

Reactions: Bleedred

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Definitely a good step forward, but freeing up $$ to sign Tanev alone won't solve Dallas' D issues. They need that top pairing R shot for Miro to play his natural side, and if that means trading a top-six forward, then so be it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good, total liability, cost them heavily year ago

But what the hell are Gm’s thinking still going after him??

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
it was the correct move. it does give me satisfaction, as big as my hatred is for him.

to EDM for $750k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad