Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] D Thomas Harley re-signs with the Stars (2 years, $4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Long term I don't think he signs for a dollar less than 10 million AAV unless he gives a discount

Seems nuts to me to think a guy with only one full NHL season could even be in that ballpark. Maybe you're right tho and I just don't know the price of butter anymore. Lots of young guys I wouldn't call elite have been signing those mega deals.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Every year fans have panic attacks about RFAs not signing, and every year we see what we’re seeing this week.

It’s the RFAs only way to protest, and hope other contracts get signed over the summer, to justify their asking price. Until they have arbitration rights, this is pretty normal. The team and player usually have a good idea what it’s gonna be, and just say, “ok, we’ll talk in September.” Then you’ll usually see the team hold certain cap space aside. Like Detroit held this $16+ million all summer. They knew it was spent. It’s why Edmonton deserved what happened btw. They spent Broberg and Holloway’s cap space like a drunken sailor.

Harley was the one Dman the Broberg deal looked like it might help, but at the end of the day, he came in, right around where people thought, on a bridge. He wasn’t ready for a long deal yet. He still plays a lot of protected minutes, but that likely changes this year. So If everything goes to plan, they’ll end up having to pay him in 24 months.

Dallas is one of the team’s I’m not on top of, but with the deals they have coming, as well as having the ability to do some things, they have to try ridding themselves of Seguin’s contract. Even retaining a nice chunk will help. Their just at that point, every dollar is gonna end up harder to find. Even if Benn leaves or takes a $4-$5 million cut after this year, Seguin’s money sure would help.

Why did St.Louis go after Broberg over Harley?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Because Dallas would’ve matched it in a heartbeat.. a heartbeat 7 days later to let St Louis think they might have a chance, but the decisions to match, would’ve been made immediately in the mind of Dallas management.

Reactions: LT and piqued

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Dallas had ~4.7 million in cap space, so they would have been in a better position to match. The other part of the equation was whether Harley would have signed a hypothetical offer sheet. Before Montreal signed Sebastian Aho to one, they apparently approached Brayden Point first (and Point declined). Back in the day, Brian Gionta mentioned that he turned down overtures about an offer sheet when the Devils had cap issues in the summer of 2006. I think there was a rumor that Columbus floated the idea of an offer sheet when Mitch Marner was RFA, but it didn't seem like Marner wanted to sign but his camp was happy to use the possibility as leverage.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
15 goals in the regular season and 0 in the playoffs. Only had 4 assists in 19 games but was a +8. He's a net positive player but Dallas needs him to pinch in a bit more on offense this season if they make the playoffs. Miro can't carry it all but Harley looks to be a good #2 Dman behind him and shouldn't get 8 years on his next deal. Stars got a really good player in him it seems.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Because Dallas would’ve matched it in a heartbeat.. a heartbeat 7 days later to let St Louis think they might have a chance, but the decisions to match, would’ve been made immediately in the mind of Dallas management.

I don't buy that.

1. Even if the same offer is made. Dallas matches you force them to a 4.5 cap hit over the 4 mill. You hurt a division rival. it just makes sense regardless. If we're talking about hurting your own mother... 500k is better than nothing.
2. When I said why not offer, you kind of assumed the same offer. Harley's stats and body of work I think easily justify an offer that results in a 1st round compensation. Putting him at 6.7ish mill. That would have severely strained Dallas.

I would rather lose a 1st and get Harley over a 2nd for Broberg. Perhaps that's just me.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Dallas had ~4.7 million in cap space, so they would have been in a better position to match. The other part of the equation was whether Harley would have signed a hypothetical offer sheet. Before Montreal signed Sebastian Aho to one, they apparently approached Brayden Point first (and Point declined). Back in the day, Brian Gionta mentioned that he turned down overtures about an offer sheet when the Devils had cap issues in the summer of 2006. I think there was a rumor that Columbus floated the idea of an offer sheet when Mitch Marner was RFA, but it didn't seem like Marner wanted to sign but his camp was happy to use the possibility as leverage.

I think Harley would easily have been worth the 1st at 6.7 like I replied above. Even still 4.5 forces a higher cap hit on Dallas. A division rival.

I agree Harley probably didn't want to leave Dallas for St Louis. Better position to win and tax free.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Seems nuts to me to think a guy with only one full NHL season could even be in that ballpark. Maybe you're right tho and I just don't know the price of butter anymore. Lots of young guys I wouldn't call elite have been signing those mega deals.

Very sound in his own end while putting up 47 points in his first season in which he played more than 34 games, also is 6'4" and these types go for a premium as-is. Think this deal is likely the Stars trying the maximize this core they got, and him betting on himself to at the very least repeat this type of season.

I'd say he was the 3rd best player on the Stars this past season only behind Heiskanen and Robertson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad