Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] D Ilya Lyubushkin signs with the Stars (2 years, $3.25M)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
That price seems high. He plays hard and is physical but doesn't bring much offense. His puck skills aren't anything to write home about. Good luck in Dallas.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Jim Nill has blown this FA big time. Atrocious deals. We are going to get reamed in defence and there will be no offensive support from these signings. Bad, bad day for us.

Reactions: DieselPig

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Man, I'll give it some time because most of the moves they make the past couple years have worked out really well but on paper I feel like Dallas has had the worst day. Don't like either of those deals on the back end

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What is Nill doing today?
I know. Did Nill suddenly age like Joe Biden? What is he doing?

Like, was he so enamoured with Hakanpaa he had to go out and sign his doppelganger for more than double? And then toss another $3.8M per year at Dumba?

That $8M 3rd pair....yeah, that'll do it Nill.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Dallas needed to improve its defensive abilities and its GM did it. Yeah, Lyubushkin is overpaid, but what options did Dallas have? Did the market offer any good cheap young top4 RDs? No, it didn't. Dallas bought what the market offered and for the price the market offered, it's what capitalism is all about after all...

Oh, and it's just 2 years.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think Hakanpaa/Colin Miller+Roy/Pesce would have been MUCH better way to spend 7 mill than this. I get avoiding the term but this just seems very bad

Reactions: BigTomBomber

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Uncharacteristic of him. Always thought he was a top 5 GM over the last decade.
How so? His UFA acquisitions have always been mostly underwhelming to average, with a couple of pretty good acquisitions, and rarely of the top-tier talent in his prime- variety. Gonchar, Oduya, Hemsky, Pavelski, Steel, Smith, Duchene, Marchment, Suter, Hakanpaa, Perry, etc., is right along the lines of Dumba and Lyubushkin.

(Note: I am not discounting the fact that Pavelski and Duchene have been great- the former, especially. It's just that they were not the players at whom you'd throw a 7-year deal when they were available to sign with the Stars.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad