Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] D Esa Lindell signs extension with the Stars (5 years, $5.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They could still raise the cap as needed and just adjust whatever percentage the max per player is.....what is it now, around 15%?

CBA literally dictates that 5% is the max allowable raise, unless the league and PA agree to more.

Max per player is 20%.

The problem is you give every team an extra $15M in cap space and it makes that year's UFA bidding absurd. Then you get to the next UFA year and they only get $3M more in cap, but every free agent wants the same deals last years UFAs got. It would be chaos to inflate the cap that quickly and then slam a lid on it.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Seems about right. Guys like Chiarot and Zadorov got almost as much, so he probably could have a gotten a bit more in free agency, but it’s not really worth the gamble

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean this is exactly the Adam Larsson extension. Lindell is a year younger so he got one more year of term. Heck, it’s pretty much the Pesce deal as well. These are all virtually the same contracts. They are all around 5.25/5.50 AAV and all run to about age 35.

Analytics and fancy graphs hate guys like Larsson and Lindell because they don’t generate much offense but if you got a defenseman like this, you appreciate it…and if you don’t, you are always searching for one.

Funny thing is fancy graphs guys like Esa now too . Ever since Klingberg left Esas fancy graphs numbers massively improved.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's not bad. I'd say Lindell is a solid Top-3D who should at least continue to be a solid Top-4D through at least half of this contract, if not more. Not a dynamic catalyst, but having a steady complementary partner to pair up with whoever, isn't a bad thing to have. Not at $5.25M. That's pretty baseline "value" for that sort of player these days.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
This seems like a good signing that the fans who watch him most seem to be pretty good with; a top four known commodity that is not too old signing for just over five million. Seems like market value to me.

I read an interesting article in the Athletic today that highlighted Dallas having some cap decisions and gymnastics to do in a couple of years. They called out Lindell as a player they would want to keep at a good number. Rising cap and all that might make this a good signing if he doesn't get old and less effective for too many years at the end of it. He is 31 when this deal kicks in.

They specifically called out the cost of getting Johnson, Hartley and Oettinger on their next deals. These guys that may all warrant big dollars and that's a nice problem to have but some big names are on bridges that will end or UFA.

How do Stars fans feel this fits into near to mid term salary cap structure?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
This is actually pretty good. Like yes he plays physical and will be declining but Stars will still get a solid 3 years out of this deal and the money is perfectly fine.
Agree. Stars will get 3 solid seasons from him and then his lower salary in the last two (cap hit same) will make him a more attractive trade asset.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Fair/ maybe Slight overpayment. What we are seeing here is that players in these low tax states are finally taking a stand and saying it’s us who get the tax benefit, not the team. The cap hit needs to be comparable to the others around the league.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
By the time this deal kicks in, the cap will be 88 million. This deal will be 5.9% of Dallas' cap space.

The flat cap from the last few years has really broken some brains on this site. That's a perfectly fine deal for an important player for Dallas.

Nikita Zadorov got 5 mil per season. Brenden Dillon got 4 mil per. I don't want to hear that this is some bad contract lol

Why are you saying by the time this deal kicks in the cap will be 88? Isn't it already 88?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
My gut instinct was that this is a good deal.
Lindell has been a top-4 defenseman on a contending team for five years straight and he's only 30.
For illustration, please compare this to the 8 x $7m Vlasic deal signed in 2018. That's a bad contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad