Speculation: Dakota Joshua could sign with the Leafs?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
While I was a big fan of him this year every time I saw him, I'm still leery of players who only have one good season under their belt going into a contract year. Especially a "big powerforward" like Joshua. Could be another Tanner Jeannot situation.
It's possible he could be another Jeannot but the difference here is he wouldn't cost 47 draft picks to aquire ;)

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Is it all that limted though? He potted 18 in 63 (23g pace).

If he wants a 3x3, that's very good value for anyone who gets him at that. Looking at the past year, plenty of guys at the 20-25g mark making $4-5mil.
Id think he'd be signed by the Canucks if it took 3x3. This guy is getting an overpayment this summer

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Depends on the price, I don't mind him at 2 million especially if he's replaceing Jarnkork.

But at 3-3.5 million I'm not interested.

I'd take that 3-3.5 million and another million to it and sign David Perron.

I don't want to pay 3+ million to this guy without knowing last year wasn't a fluke and there is no way to know that.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Depends on the price, I don't mind him at 2 million especially if he's replaceing Jarnkork.

But at 3-3.5 million I'm not interested.

I'd take that 3-3.5 million and another million to it and sign David Perron.

I don't want to pay 3+ million to this guy without knowing last year wasn't a fluke and there is no way to know that.
That's not realistic at all, lol. Even scoring 18 goals from the bottom 6 alone is worth more than 2 million, much less what other things he brings.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Leafs have Treliving running the show, a $3-4 mil AAV contract for Joshua is right up his alley.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah this is a guy you can't feel bad about getting a big payday, and scoring 18 goals is no small feat regardless of how it was doing or shooting percentages. But you have to wonder how much of his season was a result of synergy with Garland, who for a 3rd liner/middle six guy is pretty much an elite puck retrieval player.

Nearly all of Joshua's goals were some variation of this:

Where Garland retrieves the puck from the boards and finds Joshua in front of the net to bury it.

Reactions: gianni

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I like him and seen him alot last year. Great going to the net! Physical. Tough as nails, Can skate. Only scared some team will overpay.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's not realistic at all, lol. Even scoring 18 goals from the bottom 6 alone is worth more than 2 million, much less what other things he brings.

I understand that, point is I think It's a risky contract and if he's getting 3+ million it better work out.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
If the Leafs want to over pay for DJ let them. The Canucks overpaid for one theirs players who also had a break out year in his contract year. Oddly enough both Mik and DJ have very similar numbers in that contract year. Anything over 2mil for DJ is an overpayment. Anything over 3m and more than 3yrs DJ will be bought out by the end of year 2. Just like Mik is going to be bought out this summer.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
The BIG mystery is WHO is Dakota Joshua? Signed for a "show me" deal after bouncing through a few orgs over the past few years...gets called out in training camp by Tocchet for being out of game shape and not battling. Gets into it with known competitor Connor Garland.

Starts to turn his effort and focus and fitness into a plus and Starts adding value to his teammates.. No one that signs him will know if it's a fundamental change or a contract up for renual change...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is it safe to assume every UFA is signing with the Leafs and every player available for trade is going to the Leafs?

Yes and no....the Leafs are seemingly interested in a big shake up and have cap space to play with so...people will try to find a fit.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'd assume we'd throw an offer his way but we'd be outbid. He'll get lots of offers and someone will overpay imo.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He'd be a good target for them as he represents what they need: a big and fast meat and potato guy that takes his play to another level comes the playoffs.

They need character and grit.
This is true but they can't really afford him unless they make other moves and that back end needs attention too.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Is it safe to assume every UFA is signing with the Leafs and every player available for trade is going to the Leafs?
The nauseating part of every summer, with such a heavy Toronto media bias. But thankfully we know that nothing will ever happen differently with this franchise as long as they keep overpaying their cap% towards players who continue to make little to no difference towards playoff success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad