D Stian Solberg - Vålerenga, Norway (2024 Draft)

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
But having played in Norway and not at a higher level of competition I'd be hesitant to use a first-round pick on him.

Still he has played both WJC and WC this season, which I think is enough to prove his quality.

Might be to norwegians going in the first round this year, unbelivable.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm assuming this video is meant to promote Solberg as a prospect but I'm not sure it does.

In the majority of these hits he is taking himself out of the play and simply making runs without regard to the tactical part of the game.

Another thing about this video is that a significant number of the hits are simply catching players when they are unaware, bordering on dirty. Doesn't take a lot of courage to make such plays; usually putting your team at a disadvantage by receiving penalties.

There are certainly qualities of his game that make him a quality prospect - size, skating ability and willingness to engage.

But having played in Norway and not at a higher level of competition I'd be hesitant to use a first-round pick on him.
This is a tough read

Reactions: Joka12 and dr1234

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Just fine, thanks. Comfortably retired, and living the great life. :thumbu:

You must be a Leaf fan. I’ve been on their board, and know the manner in which they fans overrate and overhype their players....never ceases to amaze me.
Please show me where I've done anything resembling what leaf fans supposedly do in any of our interactions ? You tried to throw a jab at me when all I said was the Leafs would be very happy to have this prospect at 23rd overall. You're pettiness doesn't align with you're claim of "living the good life ".

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I like Solberg. He is solid in his own end and even has some skill with the puck as well. Decent shot too.

I feel like he should be a solid second pairing guy who kills penalties, maybe stunts for second power play if injuries happen.

My estimation is range from 15-20 in this draft.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Visited the Leafs in TO. Cites Drew Doughty/ Mo Seider as guys he emulates. Says Tavares was the hardest guy he faced at Worlds (strong, good skater). Talked to 30 teams at the combine. Canadiens asked him some weird question about a submarine (sounds like the trolley problem); "that was some crazy shit."

And a good draft profile of him.
He thinks Tavares is a good skater? 🤔

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Grab bag:

Rumors from Combine via The Athletic blog is that 6 (!!!) team's scouts said Solberg was an interview standout at the draft, and that "maybe he goes before one of the big 6." Still sounds like an outside shot at that.

Kind of an awkward interview here from TSN.

Visited the Leafs in TO. Cites Drew Doughty/ Mo Seider as guys he emulates. Says Tavares was the hardest guy he faced at Worlds (strong, good skater). Talked to 30 teams at the combine. Canadiens asked him some weird question about a submarine (sounds like the trolley problem); "that was some crazy shit."

And a good draft profile of him.
Uh oh, thinks Tavares is a good skater

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Could be using the word strong as in strong on his skates, tough to knock off the puck etc (which he is, dude plays like a grinder). It doesnt automatically mean hes saying hes an amazing skater overall lmao.

Reactions: Blueston

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Could be using the word strong as in strong on his skates, tough to knock off the puck etc (which he is, dude plays like a grinder). It doesnt automatically mean hes saying hes an amazing skater overall lmao.
It was worded
Strong , good skater
Not strong skater

Likely meant strong on the puck, which he is good at.
And Good skater, which he isn’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad