D Sawyer Mynio - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2023, 89th, VAN)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Had a very good season this year as a 17 year old. Playing on a very strong Seattle Thunderbirds team getting regular playing time. Finished the season with 31 points in 68 games.

From what I heard, he was a main guy that lots of teams wanted when Seattle was making trades to load up for this season but Seattle refused to involve him in any deals.

He has been ranked in some rankings to be potentially a mid to late draft pick in the 2023 draft... I honestly think a team may draft him somewhat early in the mid rounds.

He will be one of my choices as a player next season when fans are shocked he wasn't a higher pick... Look for him to be a main guy on the Blueline in Seattle next year putting up 60+ points

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Seattle’s D and goal tending should be our strengths next year

It will be interesting if Seattle sells off some assets to recoup some of the draft capital they used to acquire players for this season. As a Hawks fan I know Dach and Allan will be gone but most likely the Hawks send Korchinski back to Seattle - so I'll be curious to see what Seattle does with him.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It will be interesting if Seattle sells off some assets to recoup some of the draft capital they used to acquire players for this season. As a Hawks fan I know Dach and Allan will be gone but most likely the Hawks send Korchinski back to Seattle - so I'll be curious to see what Seattle does with him.
I don't think he will play junior next year.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I don't think he will play junior next year.

He's not eligible for AHL so it's either JRs or NHL. I wouldn't be shocked if Korchinski sticks with the Hawks out of training camp but I put the odds of that happening at less than 50/50.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He's not eligible for AHL so it's either JRs or NHL. I wouldn't be shocked if Korchinski sticks with the Hawks out of training camp but I put the odds of that happening at less than 50/50.
I don't think he has that much to learn at the WHL level. Two playoff runs. Two PPG+ seasons. I think its 80% he is in the NHL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Korchinski will definately be back in junior and I will bet everything I own he's traded away for a huge pick package to recoup all their 1sts they traded away. Seattle will be a good team next year but definately not good enough to win a title.

I really like Korchinski but he is forsure not NHL ready at all. It is VERY hard for a 19 year old to step in as a dman in the NHL... Especially on a Hawks team that won't be very good. IMO he still needs to get alot stronger to step into the NHL.

Give him some preseason games and maybe a couple regular season games possibly but then they will send him back and Seattle will eventually move him to a top team for a huge draft pick package similar to Zellweger to Kamloops.

Once Korchinski is gone, the torch will be passed to Mynio as their PP quarterback and high point man on defense

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Korchinski will definately be back in junior and I will bet everything I own he's traded away for a huge pick package to recoup all their 1sts they traded away. Seattle will be a good team next year but definately not good enough to win a title.

I really like Korchinski but he is forsure not NHL ready at all. It is VERY hard for a 19 year old to step in as a dman in the NHL... Especially on a Hawks team that won't be very good. IMO he still needs to get alot stronger to step into the NHL.

Give him some preseason games and maybe a couple regular season games possibly but then they will send him back and Seattle will eventually move him to a top team for a huge draft pick package similar to Zellweger to Kamloops.

Once Korchinski is gone, the torch will be passed to Mynio as their PP quarterback and high point man on defense

Pretty much exactly what I think, although I'll add that in addition to Korchinski needing to get stronger before going to the NHL - I think he also needs to work on his shot which isn't nearly good enough to be a top offensive d-man in the NHL. Having said that - I think an argument can be made that he often times deferred to his high scoring team mates rather than taking the shot himself but his shot was not very effective. After watching the Kamloops/Seattle series it was very apparent the difference between Zellweger's and Korchinski's shots.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Pretty much exactly what I think, although I'll add that in addition to Korchinski needing to get stronger before going to the NHL - I think he also needs to work on his shot which isn't nearly good enough to be a top offensive d-man in the NHL. Having said that - I think an argument can be made that he often times deferred to his high scoring team mates rather than taking the shot himself but his shot was not very effective. After watching the Kamloops/Seattle series it was very apparent the difference between Zellweger's and Korchinski's shots.
Yup Korchinski has some work to do to succeed in the NHL forsure. I know many people just look at his stats and see that he has dominated and assume he's NHL ready but it's definately not the case... I 100% agree he needs to work on his shot... He's a good offensive minded guy but just watching him you can see he does have a lack of strength in his game.

Anyways though back to Mynio... He has had a perfect guy to mentor him in the WHL having Korchinski on the team with him. I truly feel Mynio will have a season next year that puts his name on the map... People will definately get familiar with him next year

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

with bedard, I’d give Korch his 9 game stint and then send him back, wouldn’t want to waste a year off his ELC

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I like Mynio, he might be worth a late round pick.

But I think Pickford will run the PP next year. His offensive upside is much higher than Mynio's.

I like Mynio more because I think he has better defensive capabilities.

I don't think he has that much to learn at the WHL level. Two playoff runs. Two PPG+ seasons. I think its 80% he is in the NHL.

No way Chicago burns a year off of Korch ELC, Korch needs to get a NHL shot, he absolutely does not have that right now, the amount of times he passed up a clear shooting opportunity in the recent series with Kamloops was beyond frustrating. Hanzel, Pickford and Mynio all have better shots.

I’m still annoyed. Korch played a bit like Barzal, no willingness to take that shot.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I like Mynio more because I think he has better defensive capabilities.

No way Chicago burns a year off of Korch ELC, Korch needs to get a NHL shot, he absolutely does not have that right now, the amount of times he passed up a clear shooting opportunity in the recent series with Kamloops was beyond frustrating. Hanzel, Pickford and Mynio all have better shots.

I’m still annoyed. Korch played a bit like Barzal, no willingness to take that shot.
Off topic but you're PFP is actually NAFO? LMAO

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Mynio has 16 points in 12 games and is 2nd in WHL Dman in scoring. He also leads his team, while his defensive game is his main focus. I believe most of his points have come 5on5 as well. He's a darkhorse good D prospect. I actually consider him the 2nd best Dman picked after the 1st round in the 2023 draft so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad