D Landon Dupont - Edge School U15 Prep, CSSHL U15 (2027 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
2A tonight. Beauty pass on Bear's goal last week:

At 4:33 in that video there’s a highlight of him with the tomahawk stride to switch direction backward to forward; it’s an insanely hard footwork sequence to pull off and I’ve only ever seen Makar do it in the NHL (lots of forwards, notably Crosby, do it, but not to change backward to forwards, rather to face the play). That level of skill is insane for a 15 year old and if that’s the base footwork he’s dealing with at 15, the sky is the limit

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
At 4:33 in that video there’s a highlight of him with the tomahawk stride to switch direction backward to forward; it’s an insanely hard footwork sequence to pull off and I’ve only ever seen Makar do it in the NHL (lots of forwards, notably Crosby, do it, but not to change backward to forwards, rather to face the play). That level of skill is insane for a 15 year old and if that’s the base footwork he’s dealing with at 15, the sky is the limit
I thought it was an awesome video and at 15 he looks like he has a huge number of the physical tools already. That said, I don't think the transition you're describing is that uncommon... I am a scrub beer leaguer and I use a similar transition often when going from defense to attack in the NZ or when cycling from the blue line in the OZ. He's handling the puck at speed skating backwards on his backhand, and he opens the hips to step through onto his forehand. Pretty standard.

Again, this is not to say I'm any good. Just that his skating looks incredible, but not to me because of that specific footwork sequence. Just one of many plays from the video where he looked like a great skater and skilled player.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
After a couple of games, I'm pretty impressed. He has a lot to learn, but the potential is sky high:

Pros:

His skating is elite. Both forwards and backwards. Sometimes, he'll use his skating to get out of tricky spots.
Passing is very good, always head up and often spots the open man. One timer is OK, haven't really seen his shot, he did deke on a breakaway but just missed:

Cons:

Doesn't really play defensively at all. But that's easy to teach.

He is overly aggressive on the offensive end. Often positions himself at the top of the circles which is way too deep for a D-man.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Is the defense something that was a problem for him prior to the WHL?
Meh 15 years old and defense is a really hard position to play especially against older competition. But doesn't mean that it won't hurt his development if his confidence gets shaky early on

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Is the defense something that was a problem for him prior to the WHL?
I think some would say yes, but he's been the most talented player on every team he's been on, so it's hard to blame him too much when he can regularly transition the puck out of his own end by himself. I think he has the tools to be a high end defender, because of his agile skating and high IQ. He's not thin, either, so I don't think strength will be an issue for him.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Meh 15 years old and defense is a really hard position to play especially against older competition. But doesn't mean that it won't hurt his development if his confidence gets shaky early on
You can’t just poo-poo a main part of the game. It’s important to know if he’s never been any good at defense or whether he’s struggling because of his age and the jump to a better league.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You can’t just poo-poo a main part of the game. It’s important to know if he’s never been any good at defense or whether he’s struggling because of his age and the jump to a better league.
At this point it doesn't really matter as his skillset simply makes him the #1 guy for the 27 draft right now as he has the skillset to become a capable defender but his offense is off the charts because of that skating and his size isn't going to hold him back.

Reactions: Bubbles

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Its always been a question mark because he never had to actually play defense before. His dad was his coach and there were never any repercussions. The skillset offensively is undeniable, I think we will learn a lot about his defensive play as the year progresses.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At this point it doesn't really matter as his skillset simply makes him the #1 guy for the 27 draft right now as he has the skillset to become a capable defender but his offense is off the charts because of that skating and his size isn't going to hold him back.
How can you say that? A one way defenseman is without a doubt before the overwhelming majority of the draft has entered junior around the world a guaranteed 1OA?

And I’m not even suggesting that’s what his game amounts to, but you are arguing for that.

Look at Parekh. One way, some of the best draft eligible defenseman stats in the CHL ever, and barely made the top 10. In fact, there has not been a one-way offensive defenseman below 6’0 that went in the top five as far back as I’ve been following the NHL draft.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
How can you say that? A one way defenseman is without a doubt before the overwhelming majority of the draft has entered junior around the world a guaranteed 1OA?

And I’m not even suggesting that’s what his game amounts to, but you are arguing for that.

Look at Parekh. One way, some of the best draft eligible defenseman stats in the CHL ever, and barely made the top 10. In fact, there has not been a one-way offensive defenseman below 6’0 that went in the top five as far back as I’ve been following the NHL draft.
To be fair I’ve yet to watch Dupont live, but it would be pretty hard to be less defensively responsible than Parekh, who is one of the worst arbiters of risk/reward I’ve seen from a high end défense prospect in, well, forever. Just based on the shift complications of his first few games in Everett, Dupont looks like he has a much better sense of positioning than Parekh, as well as someone who defends the middle of the ice out on transition, whereas Parekh has a bad habit of defending from the wall out

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's 15 and excelling in the WHL that makes him the frontrunner and he hasn't had to play defense but with his body and skating yes he is the front runner for me for the 27 draft right now.

I think that he is miles ahead of Parekh at the same age and is an elite skater and gives me Makar vibes...time will tell but what he is doing right now is special.

All one has to do is watch this shift by shift to see how good he is already at 15.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Cale Makar but Dupont isn't bad defensively, at least wasn't last year when I watched him in AAA. Yet to see Everett play this year

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Watch his WSI games from last summer. Think they're all online. Very careless, or "non-interested" defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad