Speculation: D.J. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Then we get Garrioch's questions which are often getting DJ to repeat what he's already said
We need to get new blood in there. Like they’re there they have their job. It’s not to piss off the org. Every team team every sport has those guys.

but who are the guys that are going to get DJ riled up.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Gord Wilson interviews with DJ are too much for me. He sends up lobs and and then answers the question for him.
“ dj gotta ask what did you think of the defence is it fair to say that they just weren’t good enough tonight?”
DJ “yeah”

I don’t blame gord. His job is PR whether people like it or not.

Hahahaha So true. They give him the obvious answer before he even answer.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Look, I don't give a rat's ass about Gord or Bruce but have you guys ever listened to post-game interviews? Have you ever heard anything of substance? It's all tired cliches.

Totally made up example that you've probably heard 1000 times before:
"Hey DJ, tough loss tonight, what went wrong?"
"Well, we had a couple of tough bounces at the beginning of the game and then we couldn't get going after that. I thought the guys continued playing hard but we made some mistakes and came up short."

What are you expecting these guys to say???
"We were f***ed from the drop of the puck, Murray and the D shit the bed off the hop and the rest of the guys looked f***ing braindead for most of the game. Stutzle gave the puck up so much I'm wondering if both his hands were shattered piles of bones. The defensemen are inept morons who can't skate, pass or defend and the rest of the guys were so invisible I couldn't tell which f***ing guys were on the ice half the time. Just a pathetic shitshow top to bottom with our smooth brained GM at the helm of this sinking turd."

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Look, I don't give a rat's ass about Gord or Bruce but have you guys ever listened to post-game interviews? Have you ever heard anything of substance? It's all tired cliches.

Totally made up example that you've probably heard 1000 times before:
"Hey DJ, tough loss tonight, what went wrong?"
"Well, we had a couple of tough bounces at the beginning of the game and then we couldn't get going after that. I thought the guys continued playing hard but we made some mistakes and came up short."

What are you expecting these guys to say???
"We were f***ed from the drop of the puck, Murray and the D shit the bed off the hop and the rest of the guys looked f***ing braindead for most of the game. Stutzle gave the puck up so much I'm wondering if both his hands were shattered piles of bones. The defensemen are inept morons who can't skate, pass or defend and the rest of the guys were so invisible I couldn't tell which f***ing guys were on the ice half the time. Just a pathetic shitshow top to bottom with our smooth brained GM at the helm of this sinking turd."

I'm pretty sure Darryl Sutter has given answers like that at least once.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Had my doubts about this coaching staff since they are in place. We are not horrible offensively (particularly last year considering the lack of skill) but defensively, we're putrid this year. I don't see any adjustments, the line combinations seem not optimal for success at all, and it doesn't change even if it's obvious that it's not working or not working anymore (ex : Paul-White-Dadonov)

Anyway, still think/feel we're not going anywhere with this coaching staff. Think we're actually spinning wheels (or worse actually as we regressed quite a bit this year despite adding more talent)

We only have 3 wins at home. Too small a sample size to be significant? Or is DJ too easy to outcoach when he doesn't have last change?

You mean on the road...

Reactions: saskriders

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Gord Wilson interviews with DJ are too much for me. He sends up lobs and and then answers the question for him.
“ dj gotta ask what did you think of the defence is it fair to say that they just weren’t good enough tonight?”
DJ “yeah”

haha ya I have noticed this as well. Its so pointless. Most of these guys answer the questions for the coaches and players

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
DJ “yeah”

"Coach, not the result you were looking for tonight?"

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We only have 3 wins at home. Too small a sample size to be significant? Or is DJ too easy to outcoach when he doesn't have last change?
There should be ZERO line matching. We are shit. You’re trying to find out what these dudes can do. And the player he WaaNTS to match up suck. Play the dudes. Everywhere. What’s the worse that can happen ? We lose by 4? 5? 6? Been there done that.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hahahaha So true. They give him the obvious answer before he even answer.
It's terrible. I have noticed this is every presser so far this year. Simmer used to be the only one that did this, and he has become much better while BooBoo and Gordo have gotten worse.

Reactions: Viletho

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I used to be unhappy that DJ used the collapse 5 players to the net defensive strategy, but the more I look at it, given our generally small centers and small or immobile defensemen, it makes sense not to try to match up 3 on 3 down low with skilled, bigger forwards in the North division. We really need a bunch of better defensemen and centers (hopefully Stutzle is one) to be able to defend more like other teams, so when FYOUS starts next season, I assume we will be adding several new pieces.
I give DJ credit, even though it can mean getting hemmed in for longer periods of time.

This is where a 6'6" centre would have come in handy, but Pinto is also a centre with good size & skill that could end up with one of those two top six centre spots. I expect that Sanderson & Kleven will improve the defence as well once they arrive in a yr or two. I also expect that at some future point one of Paul or Kastelic end up at centre on the bottom six & give Ottawa much more size at centre.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There should be ZERO line matching. We are shit. You’re trying to find out what these dudes can do. And the player he WaaNTS to match up suck. Play the dudes. Everywhere. What’s the worse that can happen ? We lose by 4? 5? 6? Been there done that.
Umm you do know the coach is trying to win games while developing young players, don’t you ?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Had my doubts about this coaching staff since they are in place. We are not horrible offensively (particularly last year considering the lack of skill) but defensively, we're putrid this year. I don't see any adjustments, the line combinations seem not optimal for success at all, and it doesn't change even if it's obvious that it's not working or not working anymore (ex : Paul-White-Dadonov)

Anyway, still think/feel we're not going anywhere with this coaching staff. Think we're actually spinning wheels (or worse actually as we regressed quite a bit this year despite adding more talent)

You mean on the road...
That could be the problem. Our PK is much more aggressive, our Dzone coverage has also changed since the western road trip. In game line adjustments are made every game. The team is definitely progressing.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Umm you do know the coach is trying to win games while developing young players, don’t you ?
Getting clobbered for a month straight was trying to win? What’s the worst that can happen? We lose On the road or something?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
None of that was on goaltending of course.

Goaltending was awful, for sure.

But the amount of high-quality, point blank chances we gave up due to an inability to clear the zone and players having no idea, or no ability, to be where they needed to be was equally as bad.

That is to say, we didn't play well, or even slightly below average, only to be done in by goaltending.

We were awful, and goaltending didn't help.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

Goalie didn't help the skaters, the skaters didnt help the goalie. The whole situation was broken. I can't put all the blame on one or the other. Chicken and the egg type shit.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Goaltending was awful, for sure.

But the amount of high-quality, point blank chances we gave up due to an inability to clear the zone and players having no idea, or no ability, to be where they needed to be was equally as bad.

That is to say, we didn't play well, or even slightly below average, only to be done in by goaltending.

We were awful, and goaltending didn't help.
Hard to judge a team when the goaltending was that bad. Really they played bad in 2 out of 3 against Winnipeg, 2 out of 3 against Vancouver and 2 against Edmonton. Really in the 1-8-1 start we played badly in 6. Terrible goals is really deflating. It’s no coincidence the team has looked much better since the goaltending has become somewhat respectable.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jan to Feb 15, xGA at 5v5 was 2.6/60 3rd worst in the league

Feb 16 to present, its 2.12/60 14th best.

Goaltending sucked but they didn't get any help.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Jan to Feb 15, xGA at 5v5 was 2.6/60 3rd worst in the league

Feb 16 to present, its 2.12/60 14th best.

Goaltending sucked but they didn't get any help.
Bad early goals deflate a team especially when it happens often. The team was quite bad in 6 of the 10 games as I have previously said but they never got that goaltending performance in games 4-10 that could have emboldened them. I mean the Hogberg performances were literally some of the worst I have ever seen.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
haha ya I have noticed this as well. Its so pointless. Most of these guys answer the questions for the coaches and players

DJ Smith and Guy Boucher are both very honest - And it’s refreshing. No real spin from either guy just the truth and that goes a long way

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bad early goals deflate a team especially when it happens often. The team was quite bad in 6 of the 10 games as I have previously said but they never got that goaltending performance in games 4-10 that could have emboldened them. I mean the Hogberg performances were literally some of the worst I have ever seen.
At the same time, the chances we were giving up makes it hard for a goalie to find their footingand can kill their confidence. You can't put all the blame on one or the other, besides, its not like the team was playing solid two way hockey up until that deflating goal.

Reactions: Yak

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Our four centers are tierney anisimov white and Norris. Norris is currently on our best line with tkatchuk and bath. I think overthinking line matching. Given what we have at our disposal. Is a mistake.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
DJ is not suited to coach this young team. He needs to be fired and make sure he takes his Big hard to play Vets along with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad