D Colin Ralph - Shattucks St. Mary’s, USHS Prep (2024, 48th, STL)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not much in terms of info - other than he'll be in USHL this year before heading to college.

But Hockey Prospects show on Sirius was discussing him in the 37-40 overall range (FWIW).

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Prep player in the second round. This seems like the type of pick that @Hockeyville USA warns you against.
Especially since he's a late birthday with no real significant sample size in the USHL. There are good HS/HS-Prep bets to make, but I'm almost always more comfortable making them in the 3rd round after all the players I really like on my board are off the board. And with Ralph, I don't believe he had any international experience where you could see him against more quality competition, which we got to see with Will Zellers, who was a better HS-Prep bet to make IMHO.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Seems like a high upside/low floor type of player. Watched him in a scrimmage at the Blues prospect camp and he didn’t look out of place, even scored a lucky goal that deflected off a defending player. Good size obviously, moved around well too. Honestly, tho he looked really raw.

Only so much you can take from a summer scrimmage like that but I’m a little apprehensive about this pick from a Blues standpoint. Hoping he can make some big strides this year in the USHL or St. Cloud State.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Especially since he's a late birthday with no real significant sample size in the USHL. There are good HS/HS-Prep bets to make, but I'm almost always more comfortable making them in the 3rd round after all the players I really like on my board are off the board. And with Ralph, I don't believe he had any international experience where you could see him against more quality competition, which we got to see with Will Zellers, who was a better HS-Prep bet to make IMHO.

After Sam Kurker and Max Gardiner, I've been really hesitant on the Blues taking high schoolers without USHL experience. I don't see Ralph making it; he's just too raw at too old an age playing against completely inferior competition. Still, the Blues saw something in him, so while I don't think he'll make it, I'm not going to root against him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's certainly a high risk medium reward pick given how far away this kid is, but if he can figure it out, the size and skating combo on D is a very valuable combination
I get this idea but also I'd prefer players who challenge themselves this high in the draft.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I get this idea but also I'd prefer players who challenge themselves this high in the draft.
Shattucks coach is notorious for convincing and keeping players that extra year (see Aidan Park) not necessarily the kid not wanting to challenge himself.

But I feel u

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad