D Brandt Clarke - (2021, 8th, LAK)

Mato94

Apr 11, 2020
Bratislava, Slovakia
Did I miss the announcement that the OHL season is starting up again? Very curious to see how he'll look back in Barrie after playing against competition that is much older than him for the past few months.
The club says they've been asked by Hockey Canada to release him, since he should play at the U18 World Championship. That's the official explanation for now. More info coming up tomorrow, I guess.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Why so little talk about this guy?
Anybody that's watched him play considers him a top 15 player (some may say top 10, or even top 5), so why so little discussion?

Am I crazy in thinking that this kid could be a real impact player if he puts on some muscle and continues to work on his defensive play?
Vancouver's looking for a RH partner for Q. Hughes, could Clarke improve his D-game to be that guy?

Really doesn't sound that different than Cale Makar did in his draft year... good hands, good shot, smart player on both ends of the ice, and just needs to fill out a little bit.

Kinda reminds me of Victor Soderstrom, very good offensively and better defensively than most people give him credit for. Similar size too.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Anybody that's watched him play considers him a top 15 player (some may say top 10, or even top 5), so why so little discussion?

Am I crazy in thinking that this kid could be a real impact player if he puts on some muscle and continues to work on his defensive play?
Vancouver's looking for a RH partner for Q. Hughes, could Clarke improve his D-game to be that guy?

Really doesn't sound that different than Cale Makar did in his draft year... good hands, good shot, smart player on both ends of the ice, and just needs to fill out a little bit.

Kinda reminds me of Victor Soderstrom, very good offensively and better defensively than most people give him credit for. Similar size too.
I would take him first without hesitation, myself. I see a bigger, even more talented Drysdale. His defense is very underrated, which I guess is understandable given how talented he is with the puck.

I will add that while I see where people are coming from when they criticize his skating style, I have always felt Clarke’s biggest strength was his skating.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

pretty much every publication has him as a top 5 pick.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

I wouldn't pair him with Hughes, as you won't get the most out of either player. Although they are different players, both like to push the play and take chances offensively. I'd rather see Hughes with a prime-Hamhuis/Vlasic/Hjalmarsson/Tanev-type who can be a stabilizing presence. Parayko would be the modern dream.

Now, having two defenseman on the Canucks who can drive play from the backend like Hughes and Clarke would be a luxury any team would like. But they both need the right partner (Hughes more so than Clarke).

Yeah, I meant why so little discussion here?
He seems like the kind of prospect who's page should be updated daily!
If it means other teams overlook him and he falls to the Canucks, I'm plenty okay with that.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yeah, I meant why so little discussion here?
He seems like the kind of prospect who's page should be updated daily!

“OnHockey” & “HockeyTV” had a ton of blackouts in extraliiga for the games. Just a ton of blackouts in general.

It's like somebody above me mentioned. It’s a smaller league, and has been extremely to view.

Last edited:

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I wouldn't pair him with Hughes, as you won't get the most out of either player. Although they are different players, both like to push the play and take chances offensively. I'd rather see Hughes with a prime-Hamhuis/Vlasic/Hjalmarsson/Tanev-type who can be a stabilizing presence. Parayko would be the mode

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I wouldn't pair him with Hughes, as you won't get the most out of either player. Although they are different players, both like to push the play and take chances offensively. I'd rather see Hughes with a prime-Hamhuis/Vlasic/Hjalmarsson/Tanev-type who can be a stabilizing presence. Parayko would be the modern dream.

Now, having two defenseman on the Canucks who can drive play from the backend like Hughes and Clarke would be a luxury any team would like. But they both need the right partner (Hughes more so than Clarke).

If it means other teams overlook him and he falls to the Canucks, I'm plenty okay with that.
maybe Canucks don't need other teams to overlook him now?
If Im a betting man, I would still value Power over Clarke. The lack of games makes me favor Power's undeniable physical tools over Clarke's finesse. Power in Michigan is more impressive than Clarke in Slovakia. I cannot see Clarke drop lower than 4th right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad