D Brandt Clarke - (2021, 8th, LAK)

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
To me he's kind of like the Matthew Boldy of defensive prospects. Above average to very good at nearly everything (IQ, size, skating, puck skills, etc.), and an obvious impact NHL player.

How anybody didn't recognize that this kid has "it" is beyond me.
Skating was actually seen as an issue in regards to Boldy, but I see your point. They are both very well rounded prospects

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To me he's kind of like the Matthew Boldy of defensive prospects. Above average to very good at nearly everything (IQ, size, skating, puck skills, etc.), and an obvious impact NHL player.

How anybody didn't recognize that this kid has "it" is beyond me.
I think a lot of people knew he had it…. That’s why he was a top 10 pick.

Not sure he’s done enough to take him over the people that went ahead of him(most looking pretty good as of right now).

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I haven’t seen any issues with Clarke getting around the ice. I’m thinking all of the people knocking his skating were team Canada reps.

The literal only time it's even been remotely an issue is when Jack Eichel caught him to prevent an uncontested OT breakaway and even then Eichel already had a few strides in when Clarke was at a near dead stop...the rest of the time his skating isn't just 'not bad', it's straight up good, imo. But at the very least it's not a problem...when was the last time a Kings dman created an OT breakaway knocking the puck off a forwards stick :laugh:

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
the poster who brought up the skating issue was referring to Boldy. See post #677.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
The literal only time it's even been remotely an issue is when Jack Eichel caught him to prevent an uncontested OT breakaway and even then Eichel already had a few strides in when Clarke was at a near dead stop...the rest of the time his skating isn't just 'not bad', it's straight up good, imo. But at the very least it's not a problem...when was the last time a Kings dman created an OT breakaway knocking the puck off a forwards stick :laugh:
I would like to say that his skating is good enough. It's not gonna be a problem. Skating is not the one thing that's going to make him stand out on the rink anyway. It's just fine.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Another strong game from Brandt last night. Definitely getting 9 games and honestly should stick all season. He already looks like one of the best defenseman on the team.
One of my favorite prospects in the league. Do Kings fan mostly think he can keep up his stellar play over an 82 game season? Also: is he one of those players who is only either CHL or NHL, no AHL option?

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He grew up watching Karlsson and there is so much Karlsson in his game it is fun to see.

His skating obviously isn't as great but like Karlsson he has such high intelligence that he knows how to use his good skating to be effective.

Sorta reminds me of Marner as well. High IQ, high skill, high creativity.

Also one of my fave prospects in the league.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think his skating is just a bit unorthodox…. But not really a problem with it…. If it works it works
Lundell is another recent draftee who's stock was hurt by his supposedly terrible skating. Everytime I watched him he looked ok to me. :huh:

Great skating is always desirable, but IMO, a Dman can get away with a lot if he is smart, and skilled. He doesn't have to be the next Paul Coffey.

Gretzky was another guy with an awkward, hunched over skating form. Wasn't even very fast....just fast enough.

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would be a shame if he gets sent down cuz they decide to pamper Sean " can't defend to save his life " Durzi

Doubt that will happen, it's looking like

Doughty - Anderson
Walker - Roy
Edler - Clarke
Durzi

Moverare to waivers, Bjornfot/Spence both in AHL as well.

Durzi is old enough that he's not wasting development time as a 7 and I'm sure they'll rotate at least Walker/Edler/Clarke/Durzi due to age/injury status (Walker and Edler big injuries last year).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Would be a shame if he gets sent down cuz they decide to pamper Sean " can't defend to save his life " Durzi
No kidding. Durzi was awful on defense last night. On one goal against, I counted 3 turnovers by him. He did have 3 points, but what are those worth when you're also a -3? I'll take the kid with 1 point and a +2 over the one with 3 points and a -3.

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe not a huge surprise to anyone following but it appears Clarke has made the opening night roster.

We'll probably hear some more today and I'm sure he's going to be closely evaluated the first 9 games but he was a no-brainer despite the Kings' best efforts to restrain youth deployment. He's sure f***ing earned it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad