D Brandt Clarke - (2021, 8th, LAK)

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Not my fault your team was horseshit…Jackson had better playoffs than Frolov LMAO

Very odd thing to say about a team that was just a couple years out from winning two Stanley Cups and got much better by trading Johnson at the deadline in 2012.

Shockingly, Johnson's defense wasn't good on any other team he played on. Maybe it had something to do with the player himself...

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Very odd thing to say about a team that was just a couple years out from winning two Stanley Cups and got much better by trading Johnson at the deadline in 2012.

Shockingly, Johnson's defense wasn't good on any other team he played on. Maybe it had something to do with the player himself...
Notorious defensive stalwart Jack Johnson you mean?
upload_2021-8-28_11-15-23.png

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I still remember thinking this right after round 1 of the draft was over; Clarke, Guenther and Eklund were steals and fell a few spots from where I thought they should be picked.
This is a homer'ish comment, as both were drafted by my team, but i think Lambos and Wallstedt were steals also relative to where they were drafted in round 1. Both have had strong starts to the season.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I still remember thinking this right after round 1 of the draft was over; Clarke, Guenther and Eklund were steals and fell a few spots from where I thought they should be picked.
The majority of people had those guys (maybe less so Clarke) going above McTavish and Johnson. Clarke was one of my favourite prospects in this years draft.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
And he actually gets around the ice fairly well. He just looks weird doing it.

NHL scouts are still dinosaurs. It's literally the scene in Moneyball where the scouts just don't like how the guy throws, despite him actually getting strikes.
Exactly. He skates well enough in the sense that he gets around the ice just fine. He just does it in a wonky way. Kid ooooooozes talent

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I mean, everyone selected ahead of those guys are doing very well too. Hard to call anyone a steal at this point. The only thing I'll say is that I think Beniers will get ranked a lot lower in a re-draft a couple of years from now.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
His skate movements are very similar to Laine and both get around just fine. Overstated skating concerns.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This is a homer'ish comment, as both were drafted by my team, but i think Lambos and Wallstedt were steals also relative to where they were drafted in round 1. Both have had strong starts to the season.

The 2021 draft is looking like a really strong draft in hindsight. Stronger than anticipated if you look at the performance of the guys picked in the top 30.

Wallstedt and Cossa are top goalies in their respective leagues.
Power, Hughes, Edvinsson, Clarke and Lambos are all doing incredible in their leagues.
Benier and Johnson are doing great at UM.
Cole Sillinger made the NHL as the #12 (really #11) overall pick and doesn't look out of place. William Eklund also didn't look out of place but was sent back to the SHL to get stronger. And Mason McTavish also looks like he'll be back in the NHL sometime this year.

While it won't be a generational draft like 2015 it's looking like they could fill out some top lines in the future NHL.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
His skate movements are very similar to Laine and both get around just fine. Overstated skating concerns.
Laine isn’t ”knock-kneed” tho, Clarke is probably the faster skater but he is naturally held back by him being ”knock-kneed” for multiple reasons.

1. Being knock kneed changes the distribution of the weight, making balance and stability extra difficult.

2. It affects the range of leg motion which has direct effect on speed, lateral movement, and agility

3. Risk of ALC injuries is much higher on knock-kneed people.

Disclaimer: I’m a big believer of Clarke, but all of these still are all valid reasons for concern

Raccoon Jesus

We were right there
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Laine isn’t ”knock-kneed” tho, Clarke is probably the faster skater but he is naturally held back by him being ”knock-kneed” for multiple reasons.

1. Being knock kneed changes the distribution of the weight, making balance and stability extra difficult.

2. It affects the range of leg motion which has direct effect on speed, lateral movement, and agility

Disclaimer: I’m a big believer of Clarke, but all of these still are all valid reasons for concern

I forget where the writeup on it was (Athletic maybe?) but they examined this and found a lot of the same plus his 'lean forward' as a result can cause defensive issues on the boards (ie if a guy makes a last second move on you, he's already 'committed' and can't respond)...but that in the end it should be easily correctable by strength training.

Ultimately I think a lot of his deception is created by this stride so I think it's a feature not a bug, but I tend to agree there are drawbacks as well--it's just silly watching people talk themselves out of his ability because his skating isn't pretty.

Reactions: Dominance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I'd love to see the study on #3.

He is a great prospect with incredible hockey sense and vision. He gets around the ice and has good edges that's all that matters. Just read someone try and spin it into a positive lol. Very Hf, absolutely not true but this is the content we get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad