D Alfons Freij - Växjö Lakers HC J18, J18 Nationell (2024, 37th, WPG)

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
If anyone is familiar with Will Scouch and Scouching Report, he has Alfons ranked 5. He seems to absolutely love the player.

I think the general consensus is that scouts don’t see much but fans who watch him seem to like his game a lot.
hoping the Avs grab him at 24

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If anyone is familiar with Will Scouch and Scouching Report, he has Alfons ranked 5. He seems to absolutely love the player.

I think the general consensus is that scouts don’t see much but fans who watch him seem to like his game a lot.
Wasn't it #12? ah old report, my mistake

Last edited:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I love this kid and for me it's all about who I think he'll become 3 years from now. He has an incredible tool combo of plus skating and quick processing that could flourish with further development over the next few years and he's already a driving force as a transition defenseman.

He's off to Allsvenskan to play for Bjorkloven so we'll get to see how he handles the transition to pro hockey.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I think he can get himself into trouble overhandling it deep in his own end rather than simplifying, but on the otherhand it shows an ability to make plays too so you don't want it totally out of his game. And there's no doubt he can make plays in the offensive zone.

Thing I like the most besides the skating is that his head is always up, I don't think he knows what colour the puck is. Definitely a transition/playmaker type, I'm sure he'll make some mistakes but has the potential to play 1st PP & defensively slot in on your 2nd pair. Good tools with him.

Nov 9, 2022
I feel like Freij is slept on among the prospect talking heads. When everything shakes out, there is potential for him to be one of or the best dman taken in this draft. Needs some work but the tools are there. If he can get his edges better and like poster said above, simplify his game, he'll be a lethal asset. I think he moves into the mid-20s potentially.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Curiosity has me about this player, as he wasn't on my radar at all.

Was he selected too high, did he slide, or was he selected about where he was expected? Seems his ranking was all over the place.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Was he selected too high, did he slide, or was he selected about where he was expected? Seems his ranking was all over the place.

If he wasn't on your radar at all you weren't paying attention to J20 in Sweden where Freij and Sahlin-Wallenius were playing for the same Vaxjo J20 squad and finished with an aggregate draft ranking of 36th(Freij) and 37th(Sahlin-Wallenius). Crazy that a pair of the best transitional D in class were on one team but it happened and both of those guys should have been on your teams radar. I had Freij well ahead of Sahlin-Wallenius and he fell almost on the money for his draft aggregate of 36th while Sahlin-Wallenius went 53rd. Winnipeg made a fantastic pick here in my opinion and I say that as a fan of a division rival. He went right in the range you would expect one of the best remaining defenders to go imo.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Probably about right. Some public lists had him very high, but most of the reports about what had a chance to transpire had him as some sort of second rounder. Outside chance for a little higher or lower.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad