CXL - UPDATE 12/9 - Coyotes settle bills after unpaid taxes come to light

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
No. The city is gonna get their buts sued for breach of the lease by locking them out. The league doesn't allow the cities do basically give them the boot in the middle of the season.

Seems many people were assuming that Glendale would get sued beyond belief when they cancelled the AMF a few years ago as well.

I am sure the lease has some clauses in it about non-payment and the results, and I would be very surprised if the city moved in such a way to be beyond their rights in the lease.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm certain this has been mentioned before but I wonder if Saskatoon is a temporary option until Tempe is ready. They would still operate as the Arizona Coyotes. Playing temporary in Houston or Quebec wouldn't work I think because those markets would grow attached to the team. It would feel like it was ripped away from them. Not so much in Saskatoon as they never had a team and wouldn't be able to be viable long term until the city gets bigger anyway. It would also serve as barometer on how far off that market would be from being able to support a team.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I'm certain this has been mentioned before but I wonder if Saskatoon is a temporary option until Tempe is ready. They would still operate as the Arizona Coyotes. Playing temporary in Houston or Quebec wouldn't work I think because those markets would grow attached to the team and it would feel like it was ripped away from them. Not so much in Saskatoon as they never had a team and wouldn't be able to be viable long term until the city gets bigger. It would also serve as barometer on hiw far off that market would be from being able to support a team.

Why Saskatoon??? There are probably cities in the US closer to Phoenix that could accomplish the same thing. Though I doubt the NHL does this temporary move.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The likely thing to happen here is that Bettman more or less orders Meruelo to pay, and if he is not able to do so, the league pays the bills, and takes over the team again.

At least that gets you through this year. But, what a black eye on the league!!

At that point, who knows, but this is one line of reasoning:

Fertitta sees a distressed asset and realizes that there is no need for him to pay a large amount, because the team has no leverage.

Quebec, on the other hand, sees their only opportunity. And, offers more money.

Bettman and BOG, with bills to pay, really only has one option, and.......Bon jour...

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
The likely thing to happen here is that Bettman more or less orders Meruelo to pay, and if he is not able to do so, the league pays the bills, and takes over the team again.

At that point, who knows, but this is one line of reasoning:

Fertitta sees a distressed asset and realizes that there is no need for him to pay a large amount, because the team has no leverage.

Quebec, on the other hand, sees their only opportunity. And, offers more money.

Bettman and BOG, with bills to pay, really only has one option, and.......Bon jour...

If Muruelo doesn't pay, does the league owe him anything for the team if they take it over? I suppose it's like him throwing the keys on the table and walking away.

Reactions: Fairview

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons

Does Meruelo face some kind of breach of NHL rules for failing to deliver a playing team if he does not pay and they do get locked out?

Reactions: Fairview

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
If Muruelo doesn't pay, does the league owe him anything for the team if they take it over? I suppose it's like him throwing the keys on the table and walking away.

See, this is where I would love to put out an all points bulletin for:
kdb209
OthmarAmman
CasualFan
barneyG

and a few other posters. Those guys knew their stuff.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Then sue the darn team and the team/league will countersue.

both the city and team can be consider both guilty of breach of lease.

Or their thinking is that this is the fastest way to get paid. If they don't get paid, then the Coyotes will have to find a judge to tell Glendale they have to open the arena to them. Considering they owe tax money to state and fees to Glendale, they probably don't think a judge will do that.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
You can't just "throw the keys on the table" for a $400million asset.

Truthfully, no one knows what clauses are actually in the pruchase agreement. Considering that meruelo assumed the IcaArizona LLC, and was therefore allowed to forego the 7 year promise, it could well be that there are provisions in that agreement for exactly this kind of situation.

How would you like to be a Coyote fan, and think about these guys for owners:
LeBlanc and the original IA crew
Barroway
Now, Meruelo, who looked like a good guy, but....1.5M behind in taxes?

That would be so bad. I feel so bad for them.

Reactions: JimAnchower

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Does Meruelo face some kind of breach of NHL rules for failing to deliver a playing team if he does not pay and they do get locked out?

I don't think the city can kick a team out right in the middle of the season. The city already opt out at renewing it. So they want lock them out 4 months earily.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I mean the Coyotes have an agreement to pay rent so they'd be the ones breaching the lease

and yet the city themselves would also be in violation by saying you can't play here anymore right in the middle of the season. Again both parties can be gulity of breaching.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So the owner just doesn’t have to pay his bills?

again i said both can be guilty yotes for not paying their agreed expenses and city for kicking them out 4 months early. There are terms within the lease of what the arena owner can or can't do even if the yotes are guilty themselves of violating it. I

I mean it's like if you rent an apartment

You can 100% be booted mid lease if you don't pay

With a court order allowing the landowner to evict then yes in the middle of the lease. Its not that easy to kick someone out of a building just like that. I had a house across the street where i live at that was a rental and it took quite sometime before the homeowner could legally evict the renters out of the house.

The city has to go through the courts and show this is why we are doing this and show that they have failed to be making payments and then the team can counter argue saying the city is violating the terms of the lease themselves etc.

The thing is it worth the mess if the team is already leaving the arena at the end of the season which is in 4 months no.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
again i said both can be guilty yotes for not paying their agreed expenses and city for kicking them out 4 months earily.

Completely different than a sports franchise.
Would the City be kicking the team out if the owner paid his bills though? Seems like this owner simply needs to pay his bills and there wouldn’t become a a problem. What is the city doing wrong.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Why Saskatoon??? There are probably cities in the US closer to Phoenix that could accomplish the same thing. Though I doubt the NHL does this temporary move.

Would a smallish American city have allot of people willing to pay top dollar for a for sure temporary team with no longterm allegiance? Reason Saskatoon makes sense to me is they would be detached to the Arizona market. They would see it as an extended traveling show coming to town. People would come to see the other teams as much as going to see the Coyotes. And if the NHL has sights for this market in about 30 years or so, it can serve as mini preview on how it could look like.

Reactions: Pandemonia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad