Curt Schilling vs Justin Verlander

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Regular season I would want Verlander
Playoffs give me Schilling

I would rather build around prime Pedro Martinez then either

97-03 Pedro was flat out dominant

crazy to think that pedro's dominance came during the height of the steroid era. show's just how good he was

for example, he finished the 2000 season with a 1.74 ERA. who was 2nd in the AL in ERA? roger clemens who finished with a 3.70 era(!)

Reactions: rfournier103

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Pedro's 7 year stretch is something we may not see again, especially in the era of pitch/inning limits. Dude was must-watch tv in an era or 'chics dig the longball'.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
schilling is arguably the greatest power pitcher of all time who has been unfairly kept out of the hall of fame because of personal grudges held by those who are in charge of voting.

not to sell verlander short but he's seen a resurgence due in part to going to the right team and, to his credit, embracing analytics. his strikeout numbers are on schilling's path, his counting stats are similar to schilling's, and he's a great power pitcher and possibly the best of his era.

schilling is still better.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
schilling is arguably the greatest power pitcher of all time who has been unfairly kept out of the hall of fame because of personal grudges held by those who are in charge of voting.

not to sell verlander short but he's seen a resurgence due in part to going to the right team and, to his credit, embracing analytics. his strikeout numbers are on schilling's path, his counting stats are similar to schilling's, and he's a great power pitcher and possibly the best of his era.

schilling is still better.
I don't see many arguing that, but if I were starting a franchise with one of these two, I'm choosing the guy I can tolerate to be around.

Plus, I'd force some Kate Upton appearances into his contract ;)

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
yeah verlander's an a-hole too but he's far less of one than schilling is

I just don’t see how either had any relevance on their pitching resume. We’re talking about performance here and even if we were making it some sort of humanitarian award, neither is actually mother Teresa so it’s a moot point really

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I just don’t see how either had any relevance on their pitching resume. We’re talking about performance here and even if we were making it some sort of humanitarian award, neither is actually mother Teresa so it’s a moot point really
pretty simple

i wouldn't want a POS person on my team

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
pretty simple

i wouldn't want a POS person on my team

Ok cool, I get it, you’re deciding who you choose for your franchise so character plays a part in that but isn’t it more interesting to debate their merits on the mound?

Like no one is gonna take OJ or Aaron Hernandez on their team based on their off field stuff. That’s a given. But why don’t we talk about who was the better pitcher since it’s obvious Schilling is a scum bag

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’ll never understand why character is so important to people here. If someone was REALLY a bad guy, the police would lock him up, right?

I don’t care about the personality, beliefs, opinions, or other such nonsense when it comes to my favorite teams and the players I pay with my time and money to entertain me. The first, last, and only thing I care about is winning. Period. As long as they are not committing serious crimes, I couldn’t care less.

I think it’s fantastic when athletes and entertainers turn out to be great human beings, but remember that they are in their positions because they’re great athletes, actors, and musicians - not because they’re up for humanitarian of the year.

Maybe I’m insensitive, but I really only care about winning when it comes to my teams. If someone is a criminal, that’s one thing. Otherwise, who cares?

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I’ll never understand why character is so important to people here. If someone was REALLY a bad guy, the police would lock him up, right?

I don’t care about the personality, beliefs, opinions, or other such nonsense when it comes to my favorite teams and the players I pay with my time and money to entertain me. The first, last, and only thing I care about is winning. Period. As long as they are not committing serious crimes, I couldn’t care less.

I think it’s fantastic when athletes and entertainers turn out to be great human beings, but remember that they are in their positions because they’re great athletes, actors, and musicians - not because they’re up for humanitarian of the year.

Maybe I’m insensitive, but I really only care about winning when it comes to my teams. If someone is a criminal, that’s one thing. Otherwise, who cares?
But I'm not answering like a fan. I'm answering like a gm/owner. A guy with as divisive of opinions as Schilling has the high potential to cause a rift in the locker room, which can spill out onto the field. Verlander, on the other hand, is just an ass, which you can tolerate if he's elite.

If the question was 'which one had a better career' the answer would be Schilling at this time.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Ok cool, I get it, you’re deciding who you choose for your franchise so character plays a part in that but isn’t it more interesting to debate their merits on the mound?

Like no one is gonna take OJ or Aaron Hernandez on their team based on their off field stuff. That’s a given. But why don’t we talk about who was the better pitcher since it’s obvious Schilling is a scum bag
right now i'd take schilling but verlander's right there with him and still going strong at however old he is

when its all said and done the choice will be verlander

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Did Schilling have a reputation as a bad teammate?

People speak poorly about Albert Belle as a person, but apparently his teammates really liked him

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Did Schilling have a reputation as a bad teammate?

In his entire time in Boston I know that I never heard a single peep about anyone not getting along with him in the clubhouse.

The same can’t be said for some of the other guys on the Red Sox at that time.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
yeah verlander's an a-hole too but he's far less of one than schilling is
Isn't Schilling a cancer survivor? Regardless how big of an a-hole someone is I gotta respect them for fighting that terrible illness off

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Honestly, I think Verlander will end up as the greater player. He's going to win a second Cy Young this year to go along with an MVP, triple crown winner, World Series, title, ALCS MVP, 5x strikeout leader, 2x ERA leader, 4x IP leader, 5x WHIP leader, and threw three no-hitters. That's already a much better resume than Schilling and Verlander's career is still going on while Schilling's been retired for ages

Also, if we look at cy young and MVP finishes:
Cy Young:
Verlander: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5, 7
Schilling: 2, 2, 2, 4
MVP:
Verlander: 1, 8, 10, 15 (prob another top 10 this year)
Schilling: 10, 10, 11, 14

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Honestly, I think Verlander will end up as the greater player. He's going to win a second Cy Young this year to go along with an MVP, triple crown winner, World Series, title, ALCS MVP, 5x strikeout leader, 2x ERA leader, 4x IP leader, 5x WHIP leader, and threw three no-hitters. That's already a much better resume than Schilling and Verlander's career is still going on while Schilling's been retired for ages

Also, if we look at cy young and MVP finishes:
Cy Young: MVP:
Verlander: 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5, 7 Verlander: 1, 8, 10, 15 (prob another top 10 this year)
Schilling: 2, 2, 2, 4 Schilling: 10, 10, 11, 14

Voters were far more careless with their votes back then, relying heavily on wins, rather than performance

Just look at Schilling's '98 season: Lead the league with 268 innings, 15 complete games!, and strikeouts with 300, yet didn't even finish in the top 7 in Cy Young voting

It also doesn't help that he was up against Maddux and then Johnson for much of his career

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, Schilling never getting a CY says more about the voters than him.

Btw, after google searching him for his br stats, there's about 3 tweets from yesterday showing why he's an intolerable human being off the mound.

Last edited:

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
almost anyone's tweets over the last few days show them as awful human beings. it's the nature of that f***ing website. it boils everyone down to their petty core.

verlander is probably going to pass schilling in counting stats like strikeouts and possibly see an uptick in related rate stats due to the three true outcome nature of baseball anymore. schilling is still otherworldly in a lot of things verlander isn't. just for example:

schilling has pitched in some 300 more innings than verlander and still has 136 fewer walks. that's insane. he has a 4.38 k/bb ratio in over 3,000 innings. there is no reason for him to not be in the hall of fame.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $245.00