Value of: Current Top 10 Teams: Rank who you feel needs physical/mobile/D zone Defensemen more

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not saying all these teams makes moves as buyers but usually, the top teams are the ones are are more aggressive at shoring up their roster for a deep playoff run. Of course some of those top 10 teams will change on Mar 21 so if you want to alter your top 10, feel free

Rank who you feel needs to add trusted defenseman who are minute eaters and physical D zone guys. If you are not aware of all the D pairings, go to dailyfaceoff.com.

The narrative here is legit cup contenders who could reach the final 4 but when you look at the year/year final 4, most if not all those teams are strong at the back end.

Possible available physical D zone defenseman on the market: Giordano, Chiarot, Braun, Manson, Risto. Add Manson/Lindholm if the Ducks and Stars sell. Guys like Klingberg/Leddy don't really factor in as physical types IMO.

We could also play the match game. List your 10 teams in need and who you think they get

1) Leafs
2) Blues
3) Panthers
4) Pens
5) Canes
6) Rangers
7) Bruins
8) Caps
10) Avs
* Wild card as always... Tampa. Don't really need to but they did last year with Savard.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Not sure how to rank these teams.

The Blues are simply in the market for a left side defenseman and have been since they tried for Suter in the offseason. I wouldn't know how to rank this status "against" other stati.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure how to rank these teams.

The Blues are simply in the market for a left side defenseman and have been since they tried for Suter in the offseason. I wouldn't know how to rank this status "against" other stati.

I admit, I took a while to rank mine. Forget about if the team makes a move or not (futures protection set aside and the LD/RD need). Who do we feel needs more additions if they were to reach the final 4?

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
That's tough to rank. You'd have to be in the know to achieve any accuracy.
But just for fun.........

Carolina
Florida
Colorado
St. Louis
Tampa
Pittsburgh
Toronto
Boston
Washington
NYR

Reactions: Fisticuffer

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I admit, I took a while to rank mine. Forget about if the team makes a move or not (futures protection set aside and the LD/RD need). Who do we feel needs more additions if they were to reach the final 4?
Rank the teams on who needs defense the most under the specific hypothetical where the team is rolling? I don't see any way to salvage the ranking part of this because it's both not workable and against each other is not meaningful. You're also asking partisan fans to rank their own perceived needs of other teams.

What you should change it to is asking how much each of these contender teams perceive their own need for adding a top-four playoff minutes defenseman. But just in isolation, not "against" each other, that is too conceptually unwieldy. Maybe on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being needs most? Blues would be a 5 on needing an all situations left side defenseman. They are probably a 2 or 3 on that scale for needing another 4th line forward depending on Sundqvist's status, and that's it.

Reactions: Stubu

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

That is hard. I am not familiar enough with the other teams to state what they need - so I will leave that up to their fanbases. Right now, I feel the Blues are missing 1 piece to be considered a true contender for the cup. If they fill the LHD with a number 2-3 dman, then see no reason as to why they wouldn't be considered a Stanely Cup Contender on paper. Lots of depth at forward, solid goal tending, just missing that 1 LHD.

So I guess, based on the question of who needs a dman more - I would guess this.... This is based on looking at the defensive pairings listed on the site you provided. I added Edmonton because..... I think Calgary is a top 10 team with the way they are playing. Minni seems to be dropping back so....

Edmonton
Boston
Toronto
Pittsburg
Washington
St. Louis
Carolina
Florida
NYR
Colorado
Tampa

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is hard. I am not familiar enough with the other teams to state what they need - so I will leave that up to their fanbases. Right now, I feel the Blues are missing 1 piece to be considered a true contender for the cup. If they fill the LHD with a number 2-3 dman, then see no reason as to why they wouldn't be considered a Stanely Cup Contender on paper. Lots of depth at forward, solid goal tending, just missing that 1 LHD.

So I guess, based on the question of who needs a dman more - I would guess this.... This is based on looking at the defensive pairings listed on the site you provided. I added Edmonton because..... I think Calgary is a top 10 team with the way they are playing. Minni seems to be dropping back so....

Edmonton
Boston
Toronto
Pittsburg
Washington
St. Louis
Carolina
Florida
NYR
Colorado
Tampa

It's difficult to do for sure. I'm more interested in seeing the variance or what posters come up with. Are we all over the place or close. :dunno:.

All I know is that when I look at the yearly final 4, those teams are solid on D. And when I say D, I mean D zone coverage and ability to make things difficult for the other teams coach in the match up game

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers will add one of these on the right side at deadline... Hoping for Manson but bracing for Subban

Reactions: TFHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rank the teams on who needs defense the most under the specific hypothetical where the team is rolling? I don't see any way to salvage the ranking part of this because it's both not workable and against each other is not meaningful. You're also asking partisan fans to rank their own perceived needs of other teams.

What you should change it to is asking how much each of these contender teams perceive their own need for adding a top-four playoff minutes defenseman. But just in isolation, not "against" each other, that is too conceptually unwieldy. Maybe on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being needs most? Blues would be a 5 on needing an all situations left side defenseman. They are probably a 2 or 3 on that scale for needing another 4th line forward depending on Sundqvist's status, and that's it.

Nah, I rather set the final 4 bar and how past teams look that reached the final 4. If you feel your team can go on a playoff run, you need to realize that the deeper you go, those physical/mobile types are more value than some realize who focus on points.

Teams like the Leafs, Avs, Oilers have struggled in that area. Teams who are loaded with offense but loose to teams who tighten up with D.

The part where teams want to add but add for low prices will cause post wars IMO. I rather set that aside and see who we all feel needs improvements (regardless of the cost to get them)

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Nah, I rather set the final 4 bar and how past teams look that reached the final 4. If you feel your team can go on a playoff run, you need to realize that the deeper you go, those physical/mobile types are more value than some realize who focus on points.

Teams like the Leafs, Avs, Oilers have struggled in that area. Teams who are loaded with offense but loose to teams who tighten up with D.
I don't disagree with you about the importance of defense for each team that reached the final four but I don't think you can articulate what you are asking to be ranked. In the headline you even have different defensive styles. And we are supposed to rank the teams relative to each other how much they should want a top 4 defenseman who's a physical type? Or one that jumps up in the play/helps in transition? Under the hypothetical that they have just won two rounds with the team they have now? The Blues need only defense and only 1 player, The Leafs need defense and more. Edmonton needs about 6 pieces including 2 major defensemen to be a seriously taken team. So they all need defense but how do we differentiate who needs defense "more?" What does "more" mean when some teams are not one piece away?

I sort of get what you are seeking to capture but it's too multidimensional and too ill defined what those dimensions are. The dimension of "under the circumstances where the team HAS ALREADY reached the final 4" implies that Toronto got past Florida and Tampa ... there's no control element.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oilers will add one of these on the right side at deadline... Hoping for Manson but bracing for Subban

Who can fit Subban in at 50%? Prorated $4.5M cap hit? I'm not sure but can the Oilers? I guess you can try to send a contract back? Not saying you should but the Devils are going to have a hard time getting value for Subban due to cap space challenges. This sort of applies to Giordano as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Braun a physical defenseman?
I give him major props for his willingness to take a hit to make a play but he's not gong to out muscle anyone

Take him off the physical list then. Add him to the Klingberg/Leddy list but the lower end.

So we are talking about Giordano, Chiarot, Risto, and then Manson? Lindholm as well but he's more of a all around type that provides value in many areas. He should return a lot if the Ducks fall out of the playoff picture and sell.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Back off, he's coming to Toronto.

Ducks schedule from now till Mar 21. 2 pts out right now I believe.

SuSKb4o.jpg

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Panthers need a mobile, physical mofo on D, no idea who fits that bill, but imo that’s what Zito is looking for.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Who can fit Subban in at 50%? Prorated $4.5M cap hit? I'm not sure but can the Oilers? I guess you can try to send a contract back? Not saying you should but the Devils are going to have a hard time getting value for Subban due to cap space challenges. This sort of applies to Giordano as well.
A third team (ex Buf) can take on half of the half for a 4-5th rnd. PK is cheap in real dollars too, less than $1M

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If term isn't an issue, Hamonic or Poolman can be had as rugged depth (Schenn too, but expect to pay more for him).

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Take him off the physical list then. Add him to the Klingberg/Leddy list but the lower end.

So we are talking about Giordano, Chiarot, Risto, and then Manson? Lindholm as well but he's more of a all around type that provides value in many areas. He should return a lot if the Ducks fall out of the playoff picture and sell.
Does Ristolainen really count as a trusted defenseman like you say in your OP? He's physical indeed, but his D-zone play outside the sandpaper act is something awful. I'd think a team considering him might be rather hoping for O-zone contribution, if not just simply the grit (in whichever zone).

BTW, is his name somehow difficult to write? Just noticed it's the only one you keep abbreviating, haha.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think the Capitals are in the market for a D. I'm not sure they are even buyers but if they are to acquire someone it's likely a cheapish goalie and/or depth forward.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does Ristolainen really count as a trusted defenseman like you say in your OP? He's physical indeed, but his D-zone play outside the sandpaper act is something awful. I'd think a team considering him might be rather hoping for O-zone contribution, if not just simply the grit (in whichever zone).

BTW, is his name somehow difficult to write? Just noticed it's the only one you keep abbreviating, haha.

Each one of those physical types are not the same and I do see your point. Just trying to gauge the market and I included him for discussion purposes. He is a min eater and plays physical (hits/60 is very high). But reliable with good IQ? Not really.

Reactions: Stubu

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Leafs needs:
A. RHD/Goalie (D must be physical D 1st)
B. 2nd line winger

As per Dubas, our 1st is on the table for a player with term (although I think that changes if Lindholm is the target)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad