Cup window closed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Seeing a private energy provider and the word profit together almost set my ass off regarding how our tax dollars are spent but I am going to refrain from opening a can of worms
Agree. The amount of money the US government spends on subsidies for oil and gas is remarkable. And then the utilities conmmision in nc basically rubber stamping anything Duke Energy proposes is another issue,

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
We don’t get paid for excess in NC, it’s net zero so any excess beyond usage at year goes to Duke Energy for free. Still, other than a $15 connection fee that everyone (even non solar) pays, I haven’t had an electric bill in over 2 years and can set the AC at whatever I want.

Plus, by using an electric fireplace I just installed, and space heaters in the winter and never had a gas bill over $55 in the winter.

Duke Energy fights rooftop solar because it eats into profits, but it would help with infrastructure if it was more pervasive.
Yeah, Duke Energy is basically just cartoon villain evil. My parents helped their church get solar, Duke literally forced them to install less than they could install and wanted to install because they only wanted to allow them as much as would offset their own use. To make sure they could keep charging everyone else as much as possible. The solar company worked with them to get that based on peak load rather than average consumption, but something like 3/4 of the roof is still entirely open.

And the f***ers had to do rolling blackouts on Christmas eve a couple of years ago because they couldn't generate enough power to keep up.

DC gives us big subsidies and makes the utility here buy power from us at the same open market rates they pay major powerplants. I don't generate the same amount of power as Calvert Cliffs or whatever (the big nuclear station nearby), but I get the same payment per KWH as they do.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It’s too bad Tesla backed off on their solar roof….that would have been a great product embraced by many.

Btw: with almost 100 degree weather this week running AC is going to be quite expensive for most folks.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It's made of plexiglass like hockey glass. I'm fine, ok? It's fine.

1718894626357.png

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It’s too bad Tesla backed off on their solar roof….that would have been a great product embraced by many.

Btw: with almost 100 degree weather this week running AC is going to be quite expensive for most folks.
The solar roofs were twice as expensive as panels, and apparently had pretty high failure rates. Sure, they looked prettier, but that ultimately wasn't enough for most people to justify the money. For mine, they even replaced the roof at cost as part of the installation for the panels. Still way cheaper than the Tesla solar roof would have been.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I might have been too negative, you all make good points for the window still being open and we have some great young pieces.

I really like Kochetkov and hope he can be our guy moving forward...unless we get Saros lol

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thankfully, I built up enough of a credit in May and June because even with Solar Panels, I'm using more than I generate on these very hot days. The panels are less efficient the hotter it gets as well.

Here's June to date for my house.

IMG_7472.jpg

Reactions: chaz4hockey

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Thankfully, I built up enough of a credit in May and June because even with Solar Panels, I'm using more than I generate on these very hot days. The panels are less efficient the hotter it gets as well.

Here's June to date for my house.

View attachment 887566
Not a pretty picture:
1719428877371.png

The fortunate ones: we left our son's home in the Cleveland area yesterday and it was a delightful 77 with below 60 dew points.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Worth re-opening for a discussion through summer signing period. Can the Canes sign enough this year to jump back into contention?

Right now based on current projected signings, I see Jersey & Rangers as clear #1 & #2 in the division. It will be Canes and Isles fighting for 3rd with perhaps Wash, Philly and Pitt all having a say.

As I've said recently, take your lumps in '24-'25, play the young kids, and get a high pick in a good '25 draft year. Target '26-'27 and beyond as the next cup run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad