Cup window closed

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
I haven't been on in a while, so it might have already been discussed, but...

Where do you all stand as far as our window to win is concerned?

It's hard for me to stay positive after this past run, so hopefully some of you have a better outlook.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think it's close to closed. Sports can be weird and maybe that will prove to be wrong but we have a great core. A lot will change this offseason but I suspect we are still going to perform at a high level.

I think the doom and gloom from some will prove misplaced. People bemoan that we haven't been good enough and now we have an opportunity to change and shape the next iteration of this team while retaining a very good core. I think it's a good thing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not hardly. We might take a step back for a year but look at some of the pieces we have coming up the pipeline. Nikishin, Nadeau, Morrow, Blake, FUS. Add that to a core where the oldest guy is friggin Slavin and this team should stay good for a while as long as they don't do something completely idiotic like trade Necas for a weak return.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
We’re in a reshuffle. Best to wait and see what that looks like before judging. We may take a step back, but hopefully it’s so we take two steps forward in the near future.
This. They probably won’t be a betting favorite for the Cup this season, but being less of a favorite in 2025 than 2024 doesn’t mean the window is closed.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I would not be surprised if we take a step back for a year while we’re still in the last year of Burns, Andersen and Kuznetsov deals and Nikishin won’t be over until next summer. Kotkaniemi and Necas resolutions + potential high end addition up top, don’t forgot a likely bottom six reshuffle is coming with Martinook and Noesen likely pricing themselves out.

I just don’t see any situation where our defense is nearly as good as it’s been in the past five years. Nikishin’s arrival and a solid rookie year for Morrow coupled with a solid replacement for Burns next summer could see a quick turnaround in that department.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No but as currently constructed it isn't good enough as we've seen.

It isn't good enough, or it hasn't?

Actual question as it seems very few factor in the variability inherent in the outcome of a hockey game. If this same Canes team played the same Rags team in 100 series, I wonder how many the Canes would win? Last year the Panthers swept the Canes, but again, if they played 100 series I wonder how many the Canes would win? Probably not a majority, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a fair number.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It isn't good enough, or it hasn't?

Actual question as it seems very few factor in the variability inherent in the outcome of a hockey game. If this same Canes team played the same Rags team in 100 series, I wonder how many the Canes would win? Last year the Panthers swept the Canes, but again, if they played 100 series I wonder how many the Canes would win? Probably not a majority, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a fair number.

Well, it would appear a turnover in roster is going to happen so "isn't" applies.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
When the church lost power and internet on Sunday morning - Imgflip

• Love
Reactions: A Star is Burns

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The shallowness of the division helps in the short-term. The Islanders are stuck in the mid. Not fooled by Washington. Pittsburgh's gliding down the mountain; the bottom is yet to come. Columbus still has building to do. Philadelphia is a step behind.

If Nikishin is legit, it could have the same effect as Kuznetsov had for the mid-10s Caps.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Well, it would appear a turnover in roster is going to happen so "isn't" applies.

If I'm interpreting you correctly that seems to imply that the turnover is mostly driven by a decision to change up the roster to a great extent because the Borg doesn't think it can legitimately win a Cup. I don't necessarily agree with that, I suspect the major turnover we're about to see is due in large part to cap and UFA issues.

Last edited:

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
If I had to predict our short to mid term success, based on limited knowledge of our starting roster, I would guess (but not bet) on next year being a transition year where we still make the playoffs. Then I think we're right back to be labeled "contenders" for 3 to 4 years after that. We have a lot of flexibility after next year and will be a trendy landing spot for UFAs - and we know how to find and sign undervalued assets

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
This. They probably won’t be a betting favorite for the Cup this season, but being less of a favorite in 2025 than 2024 doesn’t mean the window is closed.
Hey, remember how the Capitals cup window closed and then they won the cup the next year?

My electricity is free because of solar panels. Rest of them world has to fend for themselves.
It's great, ain't it? I get paid $400 a month or so for power in summer, I can run the a/c as I damn well please.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's great, ain't it? I get paid $400 a month or so for power in summer, I can run the a/c as I damn well please.
We don’t get paid for excess in NC, it’s net zero so any excess beyond usage at year goes to Duke Energy for free. Still, other than a $15 connection fee that everyone (even non solar) pays, I haven’t had an electric bill in over 2 years and can set the AC at whatever I want.

Plus, by using an electric fireplace I just installed, and space heaters in the winter and never had a gas bill over $55 in the winter.

Duke Energy fights rooftop solar because it eats into profits, but it would help with infrastructure if it was more pervasive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad