CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
The FCC ruling is about Comcast using the loophole to deny CSN Philly to other carriers. There are customers of Comcast who are also customers of other providers. Some of those Comcast customers get to watch their favorite teams home town CSN, while other Comcast customers cannot do that - CSN uses the 'loophole' to deny them CSN Philly.

The FCC ruled that Comcast can no longer use this 'loophole' to deny CSN Philly.

Jest, I don't have a complaint about Comcast, I have both Comcast cable for my locals, and DTV for everything else, including the Flyers.

I'm just happy that Flyers fans nationwide will now be able to get CSN
Philly nationwide .... just like Sharks fans, Caps fans etc etc can their team's CSN nationwide

[and yes, that group includes Comcast customers, regardless of your assertion otherwise]

the only dumb thing here, is your assertion that customers of Comcast can't also have another TV provider, and are not adversely affected by Comcast using this loophole against them

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Holy ****, this thread sucks. It's amazing some people spend so much time bickering on a message board over such trivial crap. Enough dick waving.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
The FCC ruling is about Comcast using the loophole to deny CSN Philly to other carriers. There are customers of Comcast who are also customers of other providers. Some of those Comcast customers get to watch their favorite teams home town CSN, while other Comcast customers cannot do that - CSN uses the 'loophole' to deny them CSN Philly.

The FCC ruled that Comcast can no longer use this 'loophole' to deny CSN Philly.

Jest, I don't have a complaint about Comcast, I have both Comcast cable for my locals, and DTV for everything else, including the Flyers.

I'm just happy that Flyers fans nationwide will now be able to get CSN
Philly nationwide .... just like Sharks fans, Caps fans etc etc can their team's CSN nationwide

[and yes, that group includes Comcast customers, regardless of your assertion otherwise]

the only dumb thing here, is your assertion that customers of Comcast can't also have another TV provider, and are not adversely affected by Comcast using this loophole against them

The FCC ruling has nothing to do with customer service, and everything to do with corporate competition.

And, bernie, you keep making up arguments that were never made to make yourself seem like less of a moron.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
no, Jest, the dumbest thing on this board is the way you [and dave now, too] are coming up with ways to try and prove that Comcast Customers Nationwide who happen to be Sharks fans [and who can get their home teams local CSN on another provider] are being treated the same as Comcast Customers Nationwide who happen to be Flyers fans [and who cannot get their home teams local CSN on another provider]

nope.

Sharks fans who are Comcast customers in Chicago can get CSN Bay Area via other providers
Flyers fans who are Comcast customers in Chicago cannot get CSN Philly via other providers

one group of Comcast customers cab get their home team's area CSN, the other group cannot

i don't see you producing any numbers to disprove my claim.

regardless, you two, if u want to pretend Comcast treats every one of their customers equally, go ahead.

the FCC disagreed, and has now closed the loophole by which comcast has gotten away with it since the '90s

Comcast will now be forced to treat us all equally, regardless of which team we root for - we'll ALL get access to our home team's CSN:handclap:

Bernie - do all CSN Regionals carry all regional sports teams like CSN-P does? No. Therefore, CSN-Bay is a different product than CSN-New England, different from CSN-P, and different than every other CSN.

You're comparing apples to pears. They're similar, they're both fruit, but different.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
The FCC ruling has nothing to do with customer service, and everything to do with corporate competition.

hahaha ..... says who ?? way to state a theory as a 'fact' ..... lol

OK, my turn: the FCC ruling only came about because the Comcast customers nationwide who have been getting the shaft [ie: Flyers fans [many of who are also Comcast customers] who can't watch their team's home town CSN Philly on satellite like Shark's fans can get CSN Bay Area] complained to the FCC about this unfair treatment.

i'm not 'inventing' any arguments -- i quoted you directly in context

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
You're comparing apples to pears. They're similar, they're both fruit, but different.

wrong.

they are ALL Comcast channels, and who gets those channels is controlled by Comcast.

Comcast prevents Flyers fans nationwide from getting CSN Philly, while allowing Sharks fans nationwide to get CSN Bay Area.

many of those fans are also Comcast's own customers.

a 100% direct / accurate / legitimate comparison.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
hahaha ..... says who ?? way to state a theory as a 'fact' ..... lol

OK, my turn: the FCC ruling only came about because the Comcast customers nationwide who have been getting the shaft [ie: Flyers fans [many of who are also Comcast customers] who can't watch their team's home town CSN Philly on satellite like Shark's fans can get CSN Bay Area] complained to the FCC about this unfair treatment.

i'm not 'inventing' any arguments -- i quoted you directly in context

No, it came about because DirecTV and others lobbied the **** out of the FCC.

And, yes, you are inventing arguments because in your heart of hearts you realize how dumb yours is.

I guarantee you that you will not find anything talking about "Comcast customers" in the decision. It is DirecTV customers that they are talking about.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
wrong.

they are ALL Comcast channels, and who gets those channels is controlled by Comcast.

Comcast prevents Flyers fans nationwide from getting CSN Philly, while allowing Sharks fans nationwide to get CSN Bay Area.

By this logic, all BMW cars are the same.

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
Holy ****, this thread sucks. It's amazing some people spend so much time bickering on a message board over such trivial crap. Enough dick waving.

Regarding the thread topic..this is actually kind of a big deal to those of us who aren't living in Philly. Having CSN-Philly would be huge for us.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Regarding the thread topic..this is actually kind of a big deal to those of us who aren't living in Philly. Having CSN-Philly would be huge for us.

It's a huge deal for consumers. Bernie just has a completely messed up scenario for what is going on... Which has involved him admitting that he is committing fraud.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
wrong.

You need to once and for all explain the bolded sentence - how you can possibly say "many of those fans are also Comcast's own customers" because you are legitimately the only person I "know" who has two cable services.

Secondly, Comcast customers nationwide have access only to their local, regional Comcast SportsNet station. That is the baseline. DirecTV customers have an "added perk" in having the option of purchasing additional CSN stations. You look a the situation of "having the option to receive an added privilege" as "getting screwed."

You know, I've purchased merchandise from networks like ABC and CBS. That makes me a customer of ABC and CBS in my opinion. And I am a fan of ABC and CBS programming. Am I getting screwed by ABC and CBS because they are preventing me from watching, let's say, the Minneapolis local news broadcasts? Or the local morning shows from Seattle?

Bernie, you would begin to have something resembling a valid point if Comcast SportsNet's product was "creating fans of sports teams." But Comcast SportsNet's product is sports-related programming for which they fairly, competitively, and successfuly bid on (note: if you disagree with this sentence, then you need to reconcile why DTV's association with the NFL Sunday ticket isn't unfair). The teams are responsible for creating fans, not the television network that carries those teams.

You also have not reconciled Jester's point about how each CSN is different in that they each have separate programming available. He said it best just above by claiming that - per your logic (which you again repeat in the quoted text above), all BMW cars are the same.

If you go to a car wash, you're expected to get a different value for the basic wash (CSN's which have only 1 or 2 major local sports teams, like Boston) and the Deluxe package (CSN's with all major local sports teams). All CSNs are NOT the same.

But this is digressing from the main point of the argument here. The crux of the matter is that if you are a consumer of Product A and Product B, the benefits you receive from one product have absolutely no bearing on the benefits you receive from the other.

Because DirecTV has certain CSN channels available for purchasing, that does not mean Comcast is screwing you because they have not (yet) made all channels available for purchasing and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that you are a Comcast customer as well. They are separate.

When someone pays their Comcast bill, they are doing so for the products Comcast delivers to their home directly - not for the services that Comcast sells to another service provider who in turn delivers Comcast-originated services to their home.

And finally, nobody here is arguing over whether the FCC is right or wrong in their ruling. I have my own qualms with the FCC's reach of power, but that's not for this discussion. Quite frankly, I don't really care about this ruling, as it has zero effect on me. DirecTV loses me as a potential customer every time I'm at the bar and it rains and the TV signal goes out every 2 minutes.

Swiper the Fox

Mar 4, 2011
well, for someone living in canada
and getting NHL Center Ice package , it sure would be nice to
get the HD CSN Philly feed for games
listening to the 'other teams' broadcasters playing against philly is just wrong

and hopefully,NHLCI gets their acti together and starts getting HD feed for MSG and MSG+ because ALL games from MSG were in Standard def which sucks

:)

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
By this logic, all BMW cars are the same.

in that they are all sold by BMW, yes .... in case you didn't know:
BMW won't deny a BMW owner who is also a Ford owner the ability to buy another BMW, while permitting a BMW owner who is also a Chevy owner the ability to buy another BMW.

You need to once and for all explain the bolded sentence - how you can possibly say "many of those fans are also Comcast's own customers" because you are legitimately the only person I "know" who has two cable services.

DirecTV is a Satellite TV Service
Comcast is a Cable TV Service

you think i'm the only Comcast Cable customer who also gets NFL Sunday Ticket on DTV ?? and therefore is a customer of both companies ??

seriously ??

is it REALLY that hard to fathom that a consumer could be a customer of both TV providers ??

there are probably hundreds of thousands of the 2 MILLION DTV NFL Sunday ticket subscribers who are also Comcast Customers nationwide.

those who are Sharks fans, get access to CSN Bay Area through DTV [since comcast wont give access themselves on cable]

those who are Flyers fans, cannot get access to CSN Philly through DTV [even though comcast wont give access themselves on cable]

clearly Comcast will not allow all of their customers access to their favorite team's CSN

how you can deny that is beyond me.

regardless of whether you see it my way, the FCC is removing this loophole by which Comcast keeps CSN Philly off the Dishes, and that's all i really care about [even though it wont affect me a bit, just good to see Comcast cant get away with this any longer]

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
in that they are all sold by BMW, yes .... in case you didn't know:
BMW won't deny a BMW owner who is also a Ford owner the ability to buy another BMW, while permitting a BMW owner who is also a Chevy owner the ability to buy another BMW.

Does Comcast deny you the right to purchase DirecTV?

BMW isn't going to service your Ford just because you own a BMW.

might2mash

Post-apocalyptic
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend
you think i'm the only Comcast Cable customer who also gets NFL Sunday Ticket on DTV ?? and therefore is a customer of both companies ??

seriously ??

is it REALLY that hard to fathom that a consumer could be a customer of both TV providers ??
Yes, actually. I've never heard of anyone else doing that.

If you watch all your sports by DTV, why do you have Comcast? For the local channels? Like the channels that are free over-the-air?

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews

If you watch all your sports by DTV, why do you have Comcast? For the local channels? Like the channels that are free over-the-air?

I doubt he's the only one, but he's grossly overestimating the number of people doing it. Not to mention, he admits to fraudulent behavior in the process.

Sports bars are probably the only customers that have both services with any regularity.

I do look forward to Comcast going medieval in the next bidding process for NFL ST. Bernie's head might explode.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Does Comcast deny you the right to purchase DirecTV?

has ZERO to do with anything in this thread.

what Comcast denies are:Flyers Fans [including Comcast customers] nationwide from getting their favorite team's CSN [Philly] via other outlets, while permitting Sharks Fans [including Comcast customers] nationwide to get their favorite team's CSN [Bay Area] via other outlets.

and that is the reason the FCC is closing this loophole, to prevent the above from happening.

bury you head in the sand, talk about BMWs all you want, but those are the facts.:sarcasm:

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009

i have Comcast for Philly Locals on Cable & Internet. DTV for NFL / NHL / MLB and entertainment channels.

you really think i'm the only Comcast Cable customer who also gets NFL Sunday Ticket on DTV ?? and therefore is a customer of both companies ??

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
has ZERO to do with anything in this thread.

what Comcast denies are:Flyers Fans [including Comcast customers] nationwide from getting their favorite team's CSN [Philly] via other outlets, while permitting Sharks Fans [including Comcast customers] nationwide to get their favorite team's CSN [Bay Area] via other outlets.

and that is the reason the FCC is closing this loophole, to prevent the above from happening.

bury you head in the sand, talk about BMWs all you want, but those are the facts.:sarcasm:

It has everything to do with your idiotic reasoning. And the FCC has everything to do with CORPORATE competition, and nothing to do with consumers.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
i have Comcast for Philly Locals on Cable & Internet. DTV for NFL / NHL / MLB and entertainment channels.

you really think i'm the only Comcast Cable customer who also gets NFL Sunday Ticket on DTV ?? and therefore is a customer of both companies ??

In fairness to him, you are probably the only one dumb enough to think that makes you some kind of special Comcast customer.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
It has everything to do with your idiotic reasoning. And the FCC has everything to do with CORPORATE competition, and nothing to do with consumers.

idiotic reasoning = comparing TV providers to car companies. obviously you do that to cloud the issue with irrelevant comparisons

you can have your OPINION on what the FCC 'has everything to do with' ..... it is not a fact, merely your opinion.

my opinion is that the FCC doesn't want Comcast to be able to deny CSN Philly to the DISH companies.

actually, that IS a fact ;)

In fairness to him, you are probably the only one dumb enough to think that makes you some kind of special Comcast customer.

in fairness to you, i think that calling another forum member a derogatory name is in violation of the forum rules.

seeing as you have no real arguments, and have now acknowledged that a consumer can indeed be customers of both DTV / Comcast, i understand why you are resorting to name calling.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
Cablevision lost a big one on Friday as the U.S. Court of Appeals in D.C. said the FCC has a right to close that terrestrial loophole used by some cable ops to keep their sports channels off satellite and telco TV. Watch for cheers (and a whole lot of door knocking) from AT&T, Verizon, DIRECTV and DISH. (The latter promptly put its 2¢ in, issuing a "win for consumers" statement.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad