Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
29574490.jpg

/ Thread

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Crosby doesn't get enough credit for how unique his game is. Think about it. How many other NHL goal scoring leaders play the full 200' of the ice like he does? Its not Mario, Gretz, Bossy or Guy. Even good two way guys like Iggy or Howe don't cover the full ice because they're wingers or good two way centers stats are assist heavy.

Orr. Fedorov. Sakic maybe. Modano I guess.

Your point stands, though; there aren't that many and never have been.

Edit: Forgot Trotts.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Crosby does all the little things well to go along with his amazing talent. When Geno is at his best, I don't think anybody in the world (including Sid) can touch him. So if you give me one single game with both players at full tilt , I would take Geno. For an entire season, I would take Sid every time.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The better question is who is the 3rd best hockey player in the world now? 10 people have 10 different answers.

I am starting to think it is ______________F! I don't know who it is.:(

Acquizitor*

I think Malkin should leave this team for the sake of his future career AND it could be a good deal for the Pens as well. I think when playing with a better player (Crosby) Malkin underperforms, I think he might need a team where he would be the leader (not necessarily captain), and feel obligation to perform.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think Malkin should leave this team for the sake of his future career AND it could be a good deal for the Pens as well. I think when playing with a better player (Crosby) Malkin underperforms, I think he might need a team where he would be the leader (not necessarily captain), and feel obligation to perform.

No. He's a team leader now, and put up 36 pts in their playoff run while Crosby was healthy. What he needs is for everyone on the team to be healthy for a majority of the season and for the defense and Fleury to get their **** together. ALSO: WINGERZ.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
In terms of raw talent and physical tools my vote goes to Malkin. When he's revved up and on his game there's simply no one else like him in the world. That being said however, no one in the league can touch Sid in terms of hockey sense, versatility, and complete dedication to fine-tuning his game. Most players will simply focus on making the most of their best attributes. Sid on the other hand will always focus on trying to make the "weaker" aspects of his game even better. That kind of dedication makes a player so dangerous because you know there's a strong possibility that he'll only continue to get BETTER as he gets older.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Malkin because he's more fun to watch and he's Russian :laugh:

Seriously though, it's very close. Sid is the better all around player and a guy that you can put in every situation. I still think Malkin can be that guy (as has been in Russia) but he isn't consistently committed to it. Faceoffs are a good example. There is no reason that Geno should be so brutal at them sometimes and so good (the Neal faceoff) other times. Sid is more consistent there so he will be relied on more.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
If you take the more subjective elements out of the discussion, the answer is fairly clear. Consistency and production trumps all in the end. So, for my money, it's Crosby. Malkin certainly has more natural ability than Sid, but until it translates to the same kind of production(consistently), he's 1B for me.

That said, I consider them both better than every other player in the league by a decent margin.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Behave yourselves, cheeldrins!

i0X1cMkrSQhK6.gif

Burgundy is basically right but I don't care who's better. Because when one is out and the other is playing 1C, they're the best player on the planet by a pretty wide margin... so good we still have a very good chance to compete. Put in basketball terms, while Michael Jordan played for us in the 90s, today both Kobe and LeBron play for us in their prime, so who cares who's better? I expect only they should care.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The better question is who is the 3rd best hockey player in the world now? 10 people have 10 different answers.

You put Tavares with St Louis and its not that close.

Up and coming is Tarasenko. Perfect blend between a Kovy and an Elias or Bure and Mogilny. Moving ahead he's going to tear this league a new one.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
This.

I did an analysis a while ago on Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby. I took every 82-game stretch over the careers, and looked at highs and lows for points.

Crosby high/low: 137/98
Malkin high/low: 127/80
Ovechkin high/low: 134/72

So while they have similar highs, you rarely see a sustained low from Crosby. He's just unbelievably consistent at generating goals.

(Not updated since Jan 2012)
That's just mindblowing. The worst 82 game stretch of his career is 98 freakin points? In other words, Crosby's slump is other star players' career year.

As for the topic, Malkin is more aesthetically pleasing to watch and plays with more style/grace. It's very understandable why he's so many pens' fans favorite player. In pure natural talent he probably edges out Crosby as well. In terms of effectiveness, consistency, and all around game it's Crosby. We're just very lucky to have the top 2 players in the world on this team.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Orr. Fedorov. Sakic maybe. Modano I guess.

Your point stands, though; there aren't that many and never have been.

Edit: Forgot Trotts.
None of them ever led the league in goals. A case can be made for Beliveau but look at the stacked team he played on.

Acquizitor*

No. He's a team leader now, and put up 36 pts in their playoff run while Crosby was healthy. What he needs is for everyone on the team to be healthy for a majority of the season and for the defense and Fleury to get their **** together. ALSO: WINGERZ.

Malkin thrives under pressure, he also thrives when he is angry. When a better player (Sid) is ruling the game Malkin's "hardly care" attitude is sometimes visible. It's in Pen's and his own interests to be traded imo. Maybe it should have been done after last season to get the most value from the trade. "Sell high" are wise words.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I like Malkin more and I like watching Malkin play more and I feel way more insane unreasonable deep feelings for Malkin, but gun to my head only one can stay decision, Crosby stays, because he is all around the more important to the team.

Acquizitor*

I like Malkin more and I like watching Malkin play more and I feel way more insane unreasonable deep feelings for Malkin, but gun to my head only one can stay decision, Crosby stays, because he is all around the more important to the team.

Agreed, his marketing value to the Pens is also higher. Sid surely brings a lot of money from outside the ice as well, while Malkin doesn't.

I'm not a Pens fan, I'm a fan of hockey in general and while thinking realistically, without emotions attached, I think Geno should be traded, such a move would likely benefit Geno himself and the Pens.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Agreed, his marketing value to the Pens is also higher. Sid surely brings a lot of money from outside the ice as well, while Malkin doesn't.

I'm not a Pens fan, I'm a fan of hockey in general and while thinking realistically, without emotions attached, I think Geno should be traded, such a move would likely benefit Geno himself and the Pens.

Geno should absolutely not be traded. That is crazy talk. The only deal that could even be considered a reasonable deal would be Kopitar, Brown +

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town

I think Stamkos is just as valuable as Sid and Malkin. I mean hockey is about scoring goals and he is the best. He is also younger than Sid and Malkin. Most people would think im mad, but i can live with that hehe :)

How can u rank players? First of all it depends on what your team needs. Do u need a playmaker, then go for Malkin, Zetta and Sid. A sniper, then go for Stamkos. A tiger tank at full speed? Well then u got Kovy, Nash and Ovi ;)

And yeah I know Stamkos can be bad defensively, but still he is my favorite :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad