Crazy rise in scoring the last three years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Price
Lundqvist
Rask
Rinne
Quick
Luongo

All of them better than Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, and Oettenger. The top 3 right now.

Fixed your list as to who would be better than Shesterkin. Vasilevskiy played in the NHL with Price and a lot on that list. He's third on that list behind Price and Lundy.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
It's combined both an increase in league wide scoring, and a higher concentration of that scoring amongst the league's top stars.
THIS. League wide scoring in general has only slightly increased. The thread should really be discussing why it has become so concentrated amongst the very best players. I mean, just look at how the OP was stated - counting 100pt players instead of team average goal rates for the time periods selected to exaggerate this "dramatic" rise in scoring.

EDIT: I would guess that PP efficiency (and ice-time for the #1 units increasing relative to previous time periods as coaches finally figure out that this leads to better PP results overall) and 3v3 OT are 2 of the main reasons the scoring is more localized to the stars.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I don't believe smaller goalie equipment has a lot to do with it. You'd have to systematically show that the same danger level chances are going in at a significantly higher percentage than before and I don't think that's true.

I think it's an on-ice culture shift toward a speedier, more skill-oriented game.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Agreed. I’m just responding to several posts on the first page, which suggest NHL players got bitten by radioactive spiders circa 2018.
What those people think workout regimens were like in the early 2010's...

iu

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I do wonder about present day goalies though. I have to recognize through 8 years of Jim Benning and losing interest in the league-wide knowledge has slowly deteriorated to the point that when the Gauthier/Drysdale trade happened I had no idea who either player was, a concept that would be shocking to me 10 years ago. But I look at rosters going into the season and I don't know it just seems like half the teams don't have what should be considered a legit starting goalie. Not just basement teams but legit playoff teams like Toronto or Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad