Speculation: Craziest trades that almost happened

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
In 2001 Toronto had a trade agreed with Tampa where they would have sent Nik Antropov and Tomas Kaberle for Vincent Lecavalier, however the Tampa owners at the time overruled Rick Dudley from going forward with the deal.

Another 2001 trade would have seen Nik Antropov and Danny Markov for Eric Lindros, however according to Pat Quinn the deal was agreed upon and he said Bobby Clarke changed his mind at the last minute.

There was also Tomas Kaberle to the Flyers for Jeff Carter and the Flyers 2008 1st round pick, which Kaberle turned down due to his no trade.

In 2006 they could have traded Kaberle and a draft pick to the Oilers for Chris Pronger, however they also wanted Alex Steen and JFJ didn't want to give him up.

Finally another 2001 trade which almost happened was them getting Rob Blake from the Kings, before he was traded to the Avalanche.

Down Goes Brown: The all-time almost-a-Maple-Leaf team - Sportsnet.ca
you forgot the other TB trade where Burke after failing to trade for #1overall (Tavares) was offered the #2 pick (Hedman) for Luke Schenn (the human eraser lol) and #7 (Kadri) but Burke refused to include Schenn.

...cant remember who/what he offered instead though, but, he liked to brag about how he 'could have' made that deal if he wanted to.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Has anyone brought up Garth Snow almost trading his whole 2012 draft in order to get the #2 and select Ryan Murray. Thankfully Columbus didn’t accept and Garth went on to using all picks on defensemen as a result. The 1st rounder turned into Mat Barzal (and Anthony Beauvillier) while the 3rd round pick was Adam Pelech.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Lindros had a physical in St. Louis, and Lindros had agreed to be traded to the Blues. Originally the offer was Turgeon for Lindros, however Bobby Clarke wanted a First round pick as well.

This came after Larry Pleau wouldnt add a 2nd first round pick in a deal for Rob Blake.
The deal was pretty much done, Conroy, Bartecko, and Reasnor plus a first round pick for Blake.
Colorado jumped in late and offered the two first round picks.

Pleau also got out bid for Selanne the same 2001 season.

Richer4444

Aug 7, 2024
06-07 trade deadline

ANA:Ryan Getzlaf++

MTL:Sheldon Souray

you forgot the other TB trade where Burke after failing to trade for #1overall (Tavares) was offered the #2 pick (Hedman) for Luke Schenn (the human eraser lol) and #7 (Kadri) but Burke refused to include Schenn.

...cant remember who/what he offered instead though, but, he liked to brag about how he 'could have' made that deal if he wanted to.
Yah no to any of those

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Has anyone brought up Garth Snow almost trading his whole 2012 draft in order to get the #2 and select Ryan Murray. Thankfully Columbus didn’t accept and Garth went on to using all picks on defensemen as a result. The 1st rounder turned into Mat Barzal (and Anthony Beauvillier) while the 3rd round pick was Adam Pelech.
You're putting a couple years together here - the 1st rounder was Griffin Reinhart, not Barzal (although in an extended way it became Barzal anyways). He was trading all those picks to move up 2 spots

• Wow
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
There were rumours in the early 90s of him and/or Brett Hull going to Montreal. I can't remember what the return was going to be, but it was being reported in the papers.

During the 1995 lockout, there were very strong rumours that the Canadiens were going to trade Mathieu Schneider and a forward - never disclosed, but Schneider was the "main" piece - to Detroit for Steve Yzerman.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You're putting a couple years together here - the 1st rounder was Griffin Reinhart, not Barzal (although in an extended way it became Barzal anyways). He was trading all those picks to move up 2 spots
I know I combined a couple of years. With that trade happening (Murray for too many picks), Garth wouldn’t have been able to acquire the pick he used to select Mat Barzal in 2015.

Reactions: FoxYou727

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
During the 1995 lockout, there were very strong rumours that the Canadiens were going to trade Mathieu Schneider and a forward - never disclosed, but Schneider was the "main" piece - to Detroit for Steve Yzerman.
Seems a bit odd that the main piece going back would be an offensive Dman in Schneider when Paul Coffey was still putting up a point-per-game on Detroit...

I could see LeClair being the forward involved, with the idea of playing him on Primeau's line...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Seems a bit odd that the main piece going back would be an offensive Dman in Schneider when Paul Coffey was still putting up a point-per-game on Detroit...

I could see LeClair being the forward involved, with the idea of playing him on Primeau's line...

Bowman wasn't much of a Paul Coffey fan.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I’m not going to read all of the comments to see if this one was posted but in 2007 there was a deal in place that would send Datsyuk off to NJD in exchange for Scott Gomez lol

I couldn’t even imagine what would’ve happened if that trade went through

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Yep, I don't who the bigger dumbass in the situation:

Garth for offering an entire draft just to move up 2 spots or Columbus for saying no

Reactions: Laus723

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Gretzky not going to the Red Wings. Could have been a beyond epic run.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
There were rumours in the early 90s of him and/or Brett Hull going to Montreal. I can't remember what the return was going to be, but it was being reported in the papers.
I just saw a thing about Kelly Chase (?) Getting traded to Montreal. The return wasn't discussed, but Chase said he was out golfing with Hull and someone else when he got the call.

Brett kept telling him he wasn't getting traded despite the fact that he had to go meet their gm at the office. Hull didn't believe him, so Chase told him he'd go talk to the GM and then come back for Hull as Chase drove there.

When Chase got there, their gm told him he was lucky as he had to call Montreal and nix the trade because Hull called him and said "if Chase is going to Montreal, I'm going to Montreal" and we can't lose Hull, so you're staying!

Maybe that was the rumour and it just got twisted a bit ?

Reactions: Reality Czech

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yep, I don't who the bigger dumbass in the situation:

Garth for offering an entire draft just to move up 2 spots or Columbus for saying no

As much as I love the NHL Draft, the expected value does tend to drop off by the back half of the first round. Maybe easier to say with hindsight with how Murray's career ended up, but if Columbus thought there was a gap between Murray and the next tier of D (Reinhart/Dumba/Rielly/Trouba), then I honestly don't blame them for staying put. 2012 was a weird draft year in that four guys went in the top 10 who missed significant time during that season (Murray/Galchenyuk/Rielly/Koekkoek).

"Draft capital" seems like the buzz word nowadays, but there can be a situation where you simply end up with too many draft picks and you don't have enough contract spots to sign everybody. I remember Tampa having 26 picks between 2014-16 which doesn't seem like a ton, but they either didn't have a contract spot / wanted to commit a three year ELC to 2015 6th round Boko Imama and they ended up trading his rights for a future 7th rounder.

I think the NFL Draft makes it seem easier to wheel and deal in the NHL Draft, but it might be easier said than done to try to repackage some of those picks to move up.

I remember when the proposed deal first was reported, a lot of people had the same reaction about why Columbus didn't take the extra picks. I asked the thread who people would have taken with the extra picks and popular responses included Matt Finn and Martin Frk. It's a little easier with a dozen years of hindsight to cherry pick certain guys.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

Not in Detroit. Not seriously, anyway.

The only serious Yzerman trade rumor we ever heard included Yzerman and Osgood for Yashin and Damian Rhodes. And this was something that Scotty Bowman pursued but Mir. I put the kibosh on immediately. Like "f*** no, we're not dealing Yzerman"

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Florida owners nixed Luongo for Thornton. Only to give away Luongo to Nucks

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I just saw a thing about Kelly Chase (?) Getting traded to Montreal. The return wasn't discussed, but Chase said he was out golfing with Hull and someone else when he got the call.

Brett kept telling him he wasn't getting traded despite the fact that he had to go meet their gm at the office. Hull didn't believe him, so Chase told him he'd go talk to the GM and then come back for Hull as Chase drove there.

When Chase got there, their gm told him he was lucky as he had to call Montreal and nix the trade because Hull called him and said "if Chase is going to Montreal, I'm going to Montreal" and we can't lose Hull, so you're staying!

Maybe that was the rumour and it just got twisted a bit ?

This was actually posted on the blues board yesterday. Its Kelly Chase telling the story. Language.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
As much as I love the NHL Draft, the expected value does tend to drop off by the back half of the first round. Maybe easier to say with hindsight with how Murray's career ended up, but if Columbus thought there was a gap between Murray and the next tier of D (Reinhart/Dumba/Rielly/Trouba), then I honestly don't blame them for staying put. 2012 was a weird draft year in that four guys went in the top 10 who missed significant time during that season (Murray/Galchenyuk/Rielly/Koekkoek).

"Draft capital" seems like the buzz word nowadays, but there can be a situation where you simply end up with too many draft picks and you don't have enough contract spots to sign everybody. I remember Tampa having 26 picks between 2014-16 which doesn't seem like a ton, but they either didn't have a contract spot / wanted to commit a three year ELC to 2015 6th round Boko Imama and they ended up trading his rights for a future 7th rounder.

I think the NFL Draft makes it seem easier to wheel and deal in the NHL Draft, but it might be easier said than done to try to repackage some of those picks to move up.

I remember when the proposed deal first was reported, a lot of people had the same reaction about why Columbus didn't take the extra picks. I asked the thread who people would have taken with the extra picks and popular responses included Matt Finn and Martin Frk. It's a little easier with a dozen years of hindsight to cherry pick certain guys.
I mean I get what you mean, still I don't think the gap between the 2nd overall and the 4th overall is an entire draft

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Probably been said but before Hall was traded to the devils for Larsson they were interested in Cody Ceci and Travis Hamonic

Hall would of been nice with Tavares but I am happier with Dobson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad