Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Seems obvious Savard is coming here now with this timing. So now Berube will have 2 of his 3 assistants from St Louis. Wonder if Boucher is fired and he brings Ott over.

Was this rumored at all or just guessing?
As soon as Berube was hired everyone assumed he'd be coming here to coach the PP since he was Berubes assistant in St Louis.

Reactions: Albz and Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yea, I thought Tree did a good job of not shitting on Keefe. He went out of his way to say that even though they wanted certain things in the new coach, it's not inferring they weren't getting it from Keefe.

I think Berube does have the ability to command more than Keefe though.

I like the idea that Berube might be a harder person to let down and face in the room after a country club atmosphere. Keefe just didn’t have that kind of a presence. A change was needed.

Also, Treliving comes across as very eloquent, compassionate and diligent without being performative about it. Impressing me as a workmanlike GM. No ego.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You must be a mechanic. Rather than zero in on the problem just swap out everything. Hopefully then the problem is resolved.
Hyman and Kadri were chokers here but not when they moved on.

Can you consider if the 4 here had a different coach their playoff game as well would dramatically improve. And yes the way a player is used is do to coaching and contributes to the choker tag even though its out of the player's control.
I think these guys just have not figured out how to win more than they are just chokers. I think the coach has a huge influence on the mentality going in to big games. Keefe has been selling the same thing for 5yrs and after the first couple of losses...I think the players tighten up too much because they don't trust what the coach is telling them and not believing it will even work. I want Marner traded to balance our cap a bit...but I am pretty sure that even with Marner we could probably do some damage with Berube at the helm. Coaching makes a big difference in this league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think these guys just have not figured out how to win more than they are just chokers. I think the coach has a huge influence on the mentality going in to big games. Keefe has been selling the same thing for 5yrs and after the first couple of losses...I think the players tighten up too much because they don't trust what the coach is telling them and not believing it will even work. I want Marner traded to balance our cap a bit...but I am pretty sure that even with Marner we could probably do some damage with Berube at the helm. Coaching makes a big difference in this league.

I think we need different emotional energy to help carry them through the big moments.

They’ve always had a tentative character like it’s their coronation as a team destined for greatness and they don’t want to screw it up…

Fast forward many years later, and little by little they have screwed it all up. Their reputations as big game players are all tarnished. The core is going to be changed. They let everyone in management and coaching down. Many other teams have achieved what they were supposed to but never did.

Isn’t it time now to play free? Isn’t it time to be a little angry, a lot angry and take it out on your first and second and third and fourth round opponent? Don’t you want to stick it to all of them? Stick it to us who lost faith? I think Berube can change that energy and help them change who they are. Isn’t it about time the story changed?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Savard would be a good hire. Calgary's PP started off terribly and then was 5th best in the league from February onwards. That's the opposite of what typically happens with the Leafs PP and I think we'd all agree is better. He'd be a huge upgrade over whatever the hell Guy Boucher was trying to do

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think we need different emotional energy to help carry them through the big moments.

They’ve always had a tentative character like it’s their coronation as a team destined for greatness and they don’t want to screw it up…

Fast forward many years later, and little by little they have screwed it all up. Their reputations as big game players are all tarnished. The core is going to be changed. They let everyone in management and coaching down. Many other teams have achieved what they were supposed to but never did.

Isn’t it time now to play free? Isn’t it time to be a little angry, a lot angry and take it out on your first and second and third and fourth round opponent? Don’t you want to stick it to all of them? Stick it to us who lost faith? I think Berube can change that energy and help them change who they are. Isn’t it about time the story changed?
I read a quote about coaching years ago. It went something like this: "If the guy on TV keeps telling you it's going to be sunny and it rains every time he claims it will be sunny...you start to tune into a different channel."

I honestly believe that's what happened. They didn't trust Keefe or the staff and proof positive to me is Keefe's insistence on doing the same PP setup when it was obviously not working....they looked like they were just going through the motions because the coach insisted on them playing the PP a certain way. They looked more like robots than anything....

Reactions: Confucius

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Savard would be a good hire. Calgary's PP started off terribly and then was 5th best in the league from February onwards. That's the opposite of what typically happens with the Leafs PP and I think we'd all agree is better. He'd be a huge upgrade over whatever the hell Guy Boucher was trying to do
Here's what I don't get: the Leafs had the league's 7th best power play percentage this season. The year before, it was second best in the league. The year before that, it was the best in the league. The problem, however, has been transferring that success to the playoffs, which leads me to believe that it isn't a systems issue, and it's not even a personnel issue in the sense that it's obviously the same players on the power play in the playoffs and in the regular season. In other words, the Leafs' power play is just fine - what isn't fine is that the individuals who drive that power play in the regular season cannot perform the same way in the playoffs, whether 5 on 5 or, it turns out, on the power play. Like everything else, it comes down to this specific collection of players not being able to elevate their performance, or even replicate their regular season performance, when time, space and pressure increase.

Reactions: torontoblood

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He also was the Berbube's PP coach back in st.louis and they were pretty good

Reactions: Jmo89

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Also, Treliving comes across as very eloquent, compassionate and diligent without being performative about it. Impressing me as a workmanlike GM. No ego.

I like him too, and look forward to seeing what he can do with this team once the money from JT and (hopefully) MM becomes available.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have more faith in the scientific approach, change one variable at a time to come to an accurate conclusion.

At that rate of change it would take another 5 years to figure out if it's Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly or Tavares that is the "problem."

The reality is none of them are individually the problem and all of them are collectively.

The only path forward is to draw a very small circle with a selection of those guys and build the team you truly want around them. It's time to let go of worn out ideas. These pieces aren't that precious.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

Newest Leafs assistant is on his way.

The Flames PP, which Savard ran, was dreadful last year, although I'm sure that's partly personnel-based. Savard didn't manage to make it any better though. The boost to Calgary's late-season PP came almost entirely from Kuzmenko.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
This is why I don't want to get rid of Shanahan.

Yes, he has no results yet but if hot and sought after names become available you can guarantee Shanahan is going all in to bring them in (Yes, the GM signs the coach but you know Shanahan is sitting with Tre all day through these major changes).

Love him or hate him, even Dubas was the most sought after young exec when we signed him.

This is exciting times for our management / coaching roles. I genuinely believe in this new setup from GM all the way down to coach.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Thought this was pretty funny. Before some get upset and think I'm attacking Marner those 2 became the best of buds by the end of the movie.

Priceless, but he won’t have to deal with Berube, he’ll be gone before the season starts………..

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Priceless, but he won’t have to deal with Berube, he’ll be gone before the season starts………..
You keep getting my hopes up:
1716472612478.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad