Craig’s List: James "Anze Kopitar 2" Hagens the early favourite for No. 1 in 2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I guess he had a good firsr few games with the Giants but I really dislike the way he played at Hlinka, hothead penalties, tunnel vision, low hockey IQ. Good motor though

Also Pavel can chime in as he watches the USHL a lot more than I do but 32 seems WAYYYY too high for Morin
One thing noticeable is the NTDP isn’t represented very well here, again. Outside of Hagens, Hensler and Tretheway, two of them have graduated from the program already, this isn’t a good indication for the program going forward. Last year was a bad draft for them as well. I know Mooney, Fondrk, Potter are all solid players and could go first round, but what’s going on the USA hockey? Only 4 first rounders last year.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One thing noticeable is the NTDP isn’t represented very well here, again. Outside of Hagens, Hensler and Tretheway, two of them have graduated from the program already, this isn’t a good indication for the program going forward. Last year was a bad draft for them as well. I know Mooney, Fondrk, Potter are all solid players and could go first round, but what’s going on the USA hockey? Only 4 first rounders last year.
Moore is also NTDP from that list. Personally, I wouldn't put stock in a Craig Button list to make a point. It looks pretty shoddily made.

But overall, the 2006's weren't a strong year for the NTDP. The 2007's are probably a little better, but probably not when it comes to extremely high picks. Hurts that Potter left a year early, but if we're counting players like Hagens and Hensler that are NTDP products that are going to be drafted out of college, he should count too.

Maybe a more skilled Hischier? Or a left handed, better skating Wyatt Johnston?
Someone mentioned it, and I know every small center gets compared to him, but Brayden Point seems the closest comparison.

Not that those two comparisons are bad. I think Point is a little more accurate.

Reactions: Leviathan899

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Moore is also NTDP from that list. Personally, I wouldn't put stock in a Craig Button list to make a point. It looks pretty shoddily made.

But overall, the 2006's weren't a strong year for the NTDP. The 2007's are probably a little better, but probably not when it comes to extremely high picks. Hurts that Potter left a year early, but if we're counting players like Hagens and Hensler that are NTDP products that are going to be drafted out of college, he should count too.

Someone mentioned it, and I know every small center gets compared to him, but Brayden Point seems the closest comparison.

Not that those two comparisons are bad. I think Point is a little more accurate.
Yeah fair enough, I missed Moore there. He’s a good player, remember watching him a lot with the Miss Senators with Misa and Spence. Where did Potter go? I never realized he left the program.

Gazewithin

Aug 22, 2024
no Wozniak?
Quoting this just to say this so hopefully people who don't follow swedish hockey outside of stats and international events get it, but I don't think there is any reason to spend a 1st rounder on him. Sure, he has and is going to be productive at the junior level, but he does not have the playdriving, the skillset or motor, and maybe surprisingly to some considering his size, any signs of powerful boardplay or physicality. He is competent when it comes to finishing, both scoring and assistwise, but not more than that. Not a very projectable player at this point, and it's very noticeable when comparing the steps his peers have taken. He is baaarely a top10 swedish 07 forward for me.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Honestly reading through the entire Ihs Wozniak thread on this forum is pretty enlightening. He got very early notice because he fills up the stats sheet (or at least usually has up until this season so far)…but it seems more than a few Swedish prospect watchers had reservations about his game and style and ability to play at pace from the get go.

Clearly skilled and great size but has lots of the red flags of a draft year dropper, including a “vanilla” statistical start in J20 and not eye popping stats with the U18 team like a few of his peers. His status on EP as a “Top 2025 prospect” is feeling a bit dated and I think his status on Bob’s first blush list at #18 may feel generous in a few months.

I’m not expert on him, clearly…but that’s my read digesting all the info at the moment. I suspect Button’s list will not be the last to drop him from that first round type grade.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Maybe a more skilled Hischier? Or a left handed, better skating Wyatt Johnston?
I like the Hischier comparison myself good skater, playmaking/vision, high iq, and defensive ability. Hagens might be more skilled but nico if I recall was also touted as a dynamic offensive force but didn't quote live up to that as much as he exceeded his defensive expectations and is a 70-80 point selke caliber matchup type center who I believe is a 1c player

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Gretzky was talking about Kopitar and him being one of the best players in the league at having a player on his hip regardless of speed. Essentially a player can be draped over him and he doesn’t care

Does Hagens do that?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Worth noting this is another list that pretty much sticks with the consensus top 5/7. He’s got McQueen ahead of Ryabkin which doesn’t look impossible given McQueen’s start and Ryabkin being over in Russia. But I think almost everybody…Bob, Button, etc is starting with:

Tier 1
- Hagens

Tier 2A
- Frondell
- Martone
- Schaefer

Tier 2B
- Ryabkin
- McQueen
- Misa

With a bit of free for all after that. Hensler, Spence, Eklund and the Q boys (Guite and Desnoyers) perhaps starting at the head of that next tier.

Button is definitely showing love to the “little guys” with Schmidt and Benak but I gotta think if you are gonna downplay size at forward, Mooney has to be right up there with them too.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Hagens = Kopitar??? Button, what is you doin' hun? There could not be a sillier comp out there; I'd buy that Hagens plays like Shoresy before I would that doozy.

Point is the best one I've seen so far. I can't believe Craig gets paid for this stuff.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it's a fair question. The USNTDP is showing some warts. That said, talent is talent so if it isn't pooling there where is it?

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Hagens = Kopitar??? Button, what is you doin' hun? There could not be a sillier comp out there;
You say that but in the spring his comparison for James Hagens was….. Nazem Kadri….. (audible confusion)
IMG_8398.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad