Proposal: Coyotes-Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I'm just gonna throw this trade proposal out there.

To Arizona: D Mark Streit and LW/RW Matt Read (philly retains 750k on last 2 years of Read's contract.)

To Philadelphia: RD Zbynek Michalek, LD Klas Dahlbeck and Arizona's 3rd RD pick in 2018 < conditional if Streit plays over 60 games or Arizona makes the playoffs philly gets a 3rd RD pick in 2018, and if Striet plays under 60 games and the Coyotes don't make the playoffs the pick becomes a 4th RD pick in 2018.

Salary going to Arizona would be 5.25mil of Streit cap hit, Arizona would have to pay Striet 4mil as philly already paid Streit's signing bonus this season, so Arizona would still assume the full cap hit of 5.25mil of Mark Streit's cap hit, and Matt Read's cap hit after taking out 750k retained would be 2.875mil

So Arizona paying combined Streit and Read's salarys are 6.875mil (total cap hit 8.125mil) and salary philly would assume would be Z. Michalek 3.2mil and Dahlbeck 750k (total cap hit 3.95mil)

Arizona would be left with 9.525mil of cap space and philly would be left with 9.775mil of cap space

Arizona gets experienced defenseman Mark Streit that is still a serviceable defenseman that can put up about 20-25 points if he can stay healthy, also Streit can play on 2nd PP unit and can play left or right defense and is a veteran of 31 playoff games, and if he doesn't work out in Arizona he only has 1 year left on his deal.
Matt Read could slot in the Arizona line up as a 3rd or 4th line left or right winger that can put up atleast 20-25 points also Read has 24 games of playoff experience and a change of scenery could do Read some good.
Arizona loses a bit of cap space in this deal, but still walks away with 9.525mil to sign RFA Tobias Rieder and call up one of their prospects to bring the roster to 14 forwards including Read, Arizona also gives up a draft pick weather it's a 3rd or a 4th depends on if Streit plays 60 games, or Arizona makes the playoffs.
The reason why Arizona would want to make a deal like this is to make a push for a playoff spot this season with a mix of younger and older veteran players.

Philadelphia gets relief in cap space in this deal with 9.775mil to re-sign RFA's Brayden Schenn and Brandon Manning and would also allow the Flyers to bring Provorov up to make the Flyers line up this season, so that would make Z. Michalek as the 7th defenseman and the 8th defenseman would be Manning if everything goes smooth in arbitration with Manning, and if not there's Dahlbeck. If Dahlback doesn't make the roster out of camp he would have to pass through waivers to get send down to Lehigh Valley AHL. He was just a throw in this deal as a depth defenseman with only 1 year left on his deal as a RFA at the end of season.

Danger of this deal is the risk of losing players in this trade to the expansion draft although in either teams case it probably wouldn't matter after 1 season because Streit is a UFA after the season, Reid would only have 1 year left on his deal at 2.875mil, Z. Michalek is a UFA at the end of the season and Dahlbeck would be a RFA at the end of the season buried in the AHL.

It's basically a trade that try's to help both teams out in the short term, with what their needs are at this current point in time.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
It's basically a trade that try's to help both teams out in the short term, with what their needs are at this current point in time.
Coyotes are adding $3m in salary and aren't getting any better for their efforts.

I wouldn't claim Matt Read off waivers.

Coyotes give up the two most valuable assets of the 5 (Dahlbeck and the pick) ... I don't see any motivation for the Coyotes to do this, especially not to pay $3m real dollars to do this.

Easy no.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Coyotes are adding $3m in salary and aren't getting any better for their efforts.

Coyotes give up the two most valuable assets of the 5 (Dahlbeck and the pick) ... I don't see any motivation for the Coyotes to do this, especially not to pay $3m real dollars to do this.

Easy no.

What???

Matt Read is as good as Lars Ellers who just got traded for 2 2nd rounders. But let's assume because Eller is a C, Wash overpaid so Read still fetches a 2nd. Streit himself will fetch at least a 2nd at the deadline if healthy. Philly got 3rd rounders from Rinaldo, McGinn, Grossmann, and Schenn. Getting a 2nd for a healthy Streit should be easy....hell they got 2 2nds for a non-playing, blood clotted Timonen.

The OP clears cap space for no reason. The Flyers add worse players for cap space they are not going to use on anyone.

Would I be shocked if either Read or Streit were traded between now and the deadline? No. But it won't be for 2 guys that would not make our starting lineup and a 3rd rd pick. Watch and see.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

To Arizona: D Mark Streit and LW/RW Matt Read (philly retains 750k on last 2 years of Read's contract.)

To Philadelphia: RD Zbynek Michalek, LD Klas Dahlbeck and Arizona's 3rd RD pick in 2018 < conditional if Streit plays over 60 games or Arizona makes the playoffs philly gets a 3rd RD pick in 2018, and if Striet plays under 60 games and the Coyotes don't make the playoffs the pick becomes a 4th RD pick in 2018.

Salary going to Arizona would be 5.25mil of Streit cap hit, Arizona would have to pay Striet 4mil as philly already paid Streit's signing bonus this season, so Arizona would still assume the full cap hit of 5.25mil of Mark Streit's cap hit, and Matt Read's cap hit after taking out 750k retained would be 2.875mil

So Arizona paying combined Streit and Read's salarys are 6.875mil (total cap hit 8.125mil) and salary philly would assume would be Z. Michalek 3.2mil and Dahlbeck 750k (total cap hit 3.95mil)

Arizona would be left with 9.525mil of cap space and philly would be left with 9.775mil of cap space

Arizona gets experienced defenseman Mark Streit that is still a serviceable defenseman that can put up about 20-25 points if he can stay healthy, also Streit can play on 2nd PP unit and can play left or right defense and is a veteran of 31 playoff games, and if he doesn't work out in Arizona he only has 1 year left on his deal.
Matt Read could slot in the Arizona line up as a 3rd or 4th line left or right winger that can put up atleast 20-25 points also Read has 24 games of playoff experience and a change of scenery could do Read some good.
Arizona loses a bit of cap space in this deal, but still walks away with 9.525mil to sign RFA Tobias Rieder and call up one of their prospects to bring the roster to 14 forwards including Read, Arizona also gives up a draft pick weather it's a 3rd or a 4th depends on if Streit plays 60 games, or Arizona makes the playoffs.
The reason why Arizona would want to make a deal like this is to make a push for a playoff spot this season with a mix of younger and older veteran players.

Philadelphia gets relief in cap space in this deal with 9.775mil to re-sign RFA's Brayden Schenn and Brandon Manning and would also allow the Flyers to bring Provorov up to make the Flyers line up this season, so that would make Z. Michalek as the 7th defenseman and the 8th defenseman would be Manning if everything goes smooth in arbitration with Manning, and if not there's Dahlbeck. If Dahlback doesn't make the roster out of camp he would have to pass through waivers to get send down to Lehigh Valley AHL. He was just a throw in this deal as a depth defenseman with only 1 year left on his deal as a RFA at the end of season.

Danger of this deal is the risk of losing players in this trade to the expansion draft although in either teams case it probably wouldn't matter after 1 season because Streit is a UFA after the season, Reid would only have 1 year left on his deal at 2.875mil, Z. Michalek is a UFA at the end of the season and Dahlbeck would be a RFA at the end of the season buried in the AHL.

Good lord no. Why in god's name would the flyers trade a defenseman, for 2 that aren't very good ? Matt Read isn't great but he's not a scrub either. Look at what Eller brought back

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Good lord no. Why in god's name would the flyers trade a defenseman, for 2 that aren't very good ? Matt Read isn't great but he's not a scrub either. Look at what Eller brought back

Basically was just looking for a little cap space in this deal for the Flyers and maybe having Dahlbeck as depth.
If Read could return two 2nd round picks at the deadline that would be good for the Flyers, although the Flyers would probably have to retain a little bit of salary because Read makes 125k more then Eller does.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009

Easy no.

See post #4 Enough said.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Matt Read is as good as Lars Ellers who just got traded for 2 2nd rounders. But let's assume because Eller is a C, Wash overpaid so Read still fetches a 2nd. Streit himself will fetch at least a 2nd at the deadline if healthy. Philly got 3rd rounders from Rinaldo, McGinn, Grossmann, and Schenn. Getting a 2nd for a healthy Streit should be easy....hell they got 2 2nds for a non-playing, blood clotted Timonen.
I don't want Lars Eller either. Read is expensive and over 30 and underwhelming. No interest.
The OP clears cap space for no reason. The Flyers add worse players for cap space they are not going to use on anyone.

Would I be shocked if either Read or Streit were traded between now and the deadline? No. But it won't be for 2 guys that would not make our starting lineup and a 3rd rd pick. Watch and see.
Those things may both be true. What incentive do the Coyotes have to take on a 38 year old defenseman? And an expensive one at that? Call us back in March if you're out of the playoffs and the Coyotes are in it and we need defensive help. Until then, he's an expensive answer to a question the Coyotes aren't asking.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Easy no.

Today I learnt that Dahlbeck and mid pick are more valuable assets than Streit or Read. :laugh:

:handclap:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

No from the Coyotes. The Yotes are rebuilding and don't need either player.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Today I learnt that Dahlbeck and mid pick are more valuable assets than Streit or Read. :laugh:

In what strange, altered version of reality does a 38 year old Mark Streit being paid $4m to skate on the Coyotes third pair rate as "desirable?" Why would the Coyotes want that for free, let alone at the cost of a pick and a young(ish) cheap player :laugh:

Do the Flyers offer a refund if the 10 goal version of Matt Read shows up instead of the 20? Because if you can guarantee 2012 Matt Read I'm interested for $3.75m :laugh:

Value is not universal. This isn't Xbox. Matt Read doesn't have a little colored bar next to his name that is 1/2 full to show what the computer trade logic thinks of him. The upgrade from Michalek to Streit isn't worth the $3m difference in this trade, and Read is not the answer to the Coyotes lack of scoring :laugh:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I like it for the Coyotes. Z and Dahlbeck aren't needed on the team, talk of a buyout for Z.

Coyotes need another RW, Read fills that. Streit could fill in nicely for Stone on the 2nd line then go to the 3rd.

Only thing that is a bit of an issue is the Coyotes still need to resign 3 RFAs and 9.7m to do so could put them tight against the cap. (Bizarre problem for the Yotes)

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Streit's base is 2 million and the cap hit is 5.25. I wouldn't do the deal from a Flyers perspective. It clears salary but for what? The sake of doing it is not a good reason if you're not a better team.

Hold onto Streit until the TDL and injury insurance. If the way is clear for a trade send him off for future assets.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
This helps the Coyotes quite a bit. Connauton maintaining his level of play from last season on a consistent basis is not a foregone conclusion. Streit is helpful in that regard. Also the versatility of being able to fill in on the right side is very helpful given Stone's injury. Neither Michalek nor Schenn are acceptable fill-in solutions for Stone on the 2nd pair until he's healthy. Not by any stretch of the imagination. While Streit is clearly capable.

Read is exactly what the Coyotes need up front. We need a RHS RWer that can contribute 30pts and add something new to our struggling PK. Matt Read checks all the boxes.

Both players match our needs perfectly and both Dahlbeck and Michalek are redundant. Obviously the two Flyers players make way too much money for the roles we'd have them penciled into. But I guess that's why the asking price is so low.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Read is exactly what the Coyotes need up front. We need a RHS RWer that can contribute 30pts and add something new to our struggling PK. Matt Read checks all the boxes.
What does Read add to the PK? Streit's a bad / non-participant PK'er so subtracting Z means with Schenn or Streit have to do it.

I definitely see Arizona's motivation on this, but why would Philly do this? I get that clearing expensive depth players off the payroll can be appealing, but what is the plan for the extra cap space? Trade for a really expensive player?
Buried in the OP -- re-sign RFA's Brayden Schenn and Brandon Manning and would also allow the Flyers to bring Provorov up to make the Flyers line up this season.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
I definitely see Arizona's motivation on this, but why would Philly do this? I get that clearing expensive depth players off the payroll can be appealing, but what is the plan for the extra cap space? Trade for a really expensive player?

I don't think the OP had an actual plan, other than to clear cap space that isn't necessary at this point in time.

Streit is off the books at the end of this season, so I assume they will look to move him for a pick at the deadline. Read is off the books the following year, and I can see the Flyers moving him for a pick if the right deal comes along.

In short, it would be nice to have both salaries off the books for 2017-18. Streit is gone regardless of trade, and if we could move Read out early, that would be a bonus. This isn't the trade the Flyers be looking for, though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What does Read add to the PK? Streit's a bad / non-participant PK'er so subtracting Z means with Schenn or Streit have to do it.

Buried in the OP -- re-sign RFA's Brayden Schenn and Brandon Manning and would also allow the Flyers to bring Provorov up to make the Flyers line up this season.

You really need to educate yourself though despite what the OP says.

Philly can do all those moves without trading Streit or Read. The whole OP is flawed. It gives AZ superior players in exchange for crap returns and cap space the Flyers don't need. It's not like we would be using that cap space to add a top 6 UFA LW for example.

Christ, most of the Flyers fans don't even want Manning, but he is needed for expansion rules.

Also know that Streit is only owed 2 million in real money. We paid his bonus already. And Streit is 1 year removed from being a top scoring dman.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Not true the Flyers already have the cake to sign both.

The Flyers taking on two defenseman for Streit only creates more of a logjam that Hextall has to clear for youngsters knocking at the door. The Flyers become a better team with high end young players in the fold instead of depth defenseman which would include Manning and the two fellas coming over in the OPs original proposal.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

What does Read add to the PK? As far as I recall, he has been seen as a top PKF in Philly most of his career. At one point he averaged more than 3mins a game on the PK, which was enough to put him among the tops in the NHL. His role does seem to have diminished, however, as he's now firmly on the 2nd PK unit, it would seem (under2min/gp). Season before last he had 4 SHGs, though. Read seems to have hit a wall in Philly and has faded statistically and apparently across the board. A change of scenery may be exactly what he needs. He's had three head coaches already in Philly and seems to have preformed differently. It could be that Dave Tippett is the guy he needs.

As far as losing Michalek's PK minutes, I have to assume that signing Schenn has already effectively removed Michalek from the PK for the most part because if both Murphy and Stone are healthy, there is no chance in hell that both Z and Schenn skate in the same game. One will play instead of the other. Chayka referenced Schenn's PK prowess specifically and mentioned that our PK is a sore spot and needs a change. To me that signals that Schenn is in and Z is out. I could be reading too much into it. But I'd rather change things up on the PK anyway.

There's a 50% Connauton was just a flash in the pan. Having Streit there for insurance is very nice.

It's expensive, but we're nowhere near last year's budget anyway.

Alex Mills

This proposal most likely wouldn’t work for either team for several reasons.

After adding Luke Schenn, the Coyotes could look to move a defenseman soon. They don’t really have to, as they have six defensemen on one-way deals with extensions looming for Stone and Murphy. Once Pronger is placed on LTIR and McBain and Tinordi are demoted, they’ll have eight rearguards on the roster. If Dahlbeck were waived to get down to seven, it wouldn’t be surprising if he went unclaimed based on his stats and possession metrics from last season. Michalek’s numbers were similarly poor, and he makes over four times more than Dahlbeck. There’s probably a higher likelihood that the Coyotes keep Michalek, who’s left and returned twice, or consider using the second buyout window on him than find anyone willing to give up an asset for him. Especially a team like the Flyers, who would just end up with an unwanted defensive logjam like the Coyotes if a deal like this went through.

Read and Streit are two of the more popular trade candidates for the Flyers, but there are things to consider other than simply creating cap space before moving either of them.

Streit is still productive when healthy and won the team’s best defenseman award a year ago. His age and cap hit make him a target to move soon, but he has a modified NTC and the Flyers don’t have much leadership on the back end, and bringing in Michalek to take his place would be a step backwards in several aspects. The Flyers have five defensemen on one-way deals, Ghost in the last year of his ELC, Manning scheduled for arbitration and some high end prospects gearing up to make the jump, so Dahlbeck wouldn’t be a good fit either. The emergence of prospects in camp could force the Flyers to move someone out sooner, maybe by waiving Manning or trading Del Zotto or Schultz, who like Streit will all be UFAs next summer. Del Zotto’s situation could be more tenuous than Streit. With Ghost due for a big extension next year and MacDonald and Gudas under contract for another four years, it will be interesting to see if they opt to commit money and term to Del Zotto with all of the young talent in the pipeline. The Flyers have been actively trying to upgrade their top six this offseason which is much easier said than done, and short of signing Vesey it wouldn’t be surprising if Del Zotto were part of a package to try and make that happen. It seems more likely for Streit to move at the deadline if the Flyers are sellers, at which point he’d submit a list of teams and the Coyotes probably wouldn’t be among them if he wants a chance to win a Cup before he retires.

As for Read, his trade value seems to be all over the map depending on the viewpoint, but teams including the Coyotes aren’t lining up to acquire and overpay a bottom six winger. Ahead of next summer’s expansion draft, each team needs to leave a minimum of two forwards and one defenseman unprotected who are under contract for the 2017-18 season, and this is probably how Read best serves the Flyers’ needs at this point. If they tried to move him now which could be challenging, they would need to acquire another forward signed through next year or extend someone during the season to potentially expose just to meet the draft requirements, both problematic as well as the fact that whoever acquired Read might also leave him unprotected, which could be a non-starter for most. The Flyers might look at this season as one more chance for Read to find his game again. And if not, it wouldn’t be the worst thing if he was claimed in expansion. They signed him as an undrafted free agent, so they didn’t give up anything to get him in the first place. Every team will lose a player to Vegas, and if the Flyers lose Read, it’s an open roster spot with nothing sacrificed and additional cap space for next summer. And if he’s not claimed, then revisit potential trade scenarios.

These teams aren’t ideal trade partners, but it would make some sense if the Flyers asked about Murphy, whose father is the Flyers’ defensive coach. The Coyotes could use some depth up front, maybe Laughton is a potential fit there.

Last edited by a moderator:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
In short, it would be nice to have both salaries off the books for 2017-18. Streit is gone regardless of trade, and if we could move Read out early, that would be a bonus. This isn't the trade the Flyers be looking for, though.

Read is overpaid. But I'd like to add him for reasons referenced in my last post. I hate using up 4m in budget on a third line guy, but I'd hate it a lot less if assets to acquire were minimal. What's the smallest return you'd accept for him this summer?

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Read is overpaid. But I'd like to add him for reasons referenced in my last post. I hate using up 4m in budget on a third line guy, but I'd hate it a lot less if assets to acquire were minimal. What's the smallest return you'd accept for him this summer?

He's definitely overpaid unless he bounces back, no argument there.

I'm not Hextall (obviously), but I'd be angling for a 2nd rounder. Is he worth that? Considering his production per cap hit, I'd say probably not. But the Flyers aren't in an urgent position to move him, so they can draw it out hoping for the best return (such as the deadline). I'd guess if they really wanted him gone this summer, they'd take a 3rd rounder, but I assume that's unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad