Coyotes 3, Oilers 4 (SO)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'd say he's been decent for what's expected of him.

At the start of the year he was good on the cycle when we had a closer to complete line up to ice with him. it's not like he's been given any adventageoua line mates.

I know he's no better than a 4th liner but the hate around here is undeserved

I think few are hating on Gazdic; however, the Oilers are a much better team when playing Gazdic is an option and not a necessity. Like all 4th line players, he should be battling constantly for a chance to be one of the 18 skaters McLellan decides to play next game.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think few are hating on Gazdic; however, the Oilers are a much better team when playing Gazdic is an option and not a necessity. Like all 4th line players, he should be battling constantly for a chance to be one of the 18 skaters McLellan decides to play next game.

I think he's a great fit in that spot.

Basically a guy who gives 100% in practice, is a good teammate and usually sits in the pressbox.

Unfortunately injuries forced him into a bigger role than that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Unfortunately I missed the third+OT/SO. But I was able to catch the OT/SO afterwards.

If there is one thing the Oilers have done really well this year, it's their play 3v3. The time and space really allows the skill players on the team the opportunity to shine. We get to see some really high end moves from a lot of these players. A lot of fun to watch imo.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Keep RNH and Eberle and trade for Byfuglien and sign him to a 6 or 7 year deal.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell (if he takes ~$3 million on a 1 or 2 year deal)
Kassian-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks
Khaira

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Reinhart

If Purcell walks then put Kassian in his place, move Pouliot to McDavid's LW and then move Khaira to RNH's LW.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hunt is brutal. I would rather have Fayne in the lineup.

We REALLY need to find a good puckmover and powerplay option in the offseason.

Sekera-All around guy
Nurse-Klefbom
Davidson/Reinhart-PP Guy
Reinhart/Davidson spare

Should be our setup for next year.

PP guy better not be Jultz haha

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

Sekera-All around guy
Nurse-Klefbom
Davidson/Reinhart-PP Guy
Reinhart/Davidson spare

We need Buf bad, maybe I am a homer because I have loved this guy for a long time, but man would I be pumped if he was on the Oil.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Sekera-All around guy
Nurse-Klefbom
Davidson/Reinhart-PP Guy
Reinhart/Davidson spare

Actually Schultz moves the puck really well on the PP, its just that play never ends up going towards the net. We need someone that can actually shoot the puck with force and meaning.

Unless a really good deal comes our way, I would not panic and trade someone like RNH to get a mediocre 2-3 dman. We are stuck in a hard spot with a bunch of really good young dmen and we might have to wait for them to come around.

We are stuck with Sekera now, do we really want to trade one of Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart or Davidson, considering their potential, current value, cap hits and age? We might have to ride it through.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

Kassian-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Khaira

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Reinhart

If Purcell walks then put Kassian in his place, move Pouliot to McDavid's LW and then move Khaira to RNH's LW.

I haven't done anything numbers wise, this is just me assuming, but I don't think that would work at all. Buf is gonna get 6+, and long term. There is just no way they have Ebs and Hopkins on the third line making 12 million dollars, one of them is gonzo this offseason I'd almost bet money on it.

Like I said, I haven't looked anything up, but I would assume we would have the most expensive third line in hockey at 16 million

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I haven't done anything numbers wise, this is just me assuming, but I don't think that would work at all. Buf is gonna get 6+, and long term. There is just no way they have Ebs and Hopkins on the third line making 12 million dollars, one of them is gonzo this offseason I'd almost bet money on it.

Like I said, I haven't looked anything up, but I would assume we would have the most expensive third line in hockey at 16 million

Maybe Ebs or Pouliot moves up with McDavid or we see the Hall-RNH-Draisaitl line reunited. Lots of possibilities. I'm still not convinced that Yak is a long term fit here TBH.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
You can't have a talent like Mcdavid and not win a cup eventually. It won't be this year but it will happen at least once by the time Mcdavid is 30.

Now with the current roster, but yes, I do believe PC will start shuffling and that the team will look significantly different next season and moving forward. A cup in 12 years seems doable. :laugh:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
tangibles relate to skill/talent. Intangibles relate to a guys level of effort, passion for the game, willingness to to do whatever it takes - i.e. learn all parts of the game, do what is asked of you, ect.

Ex. Draisaitl went down to the AHL now back up he does everything you ask of. Do you realize besides 30+ some games last year he hasn't played even a complete year year yet - now compare that to RNH/Eberle. He looks like he cares more, plays harder, and genuinely is proud to be an Oiler

This isn't taking out all the losing the Oilers experienced but you make 6+ million shut up about losing, your paid to do a job do it.

Eberle was a PPG player. Is it a bad thing that he is performing at that level recently?

Thanks for proving that a non fan will say pretty much anything to push his agenda. We'll agree that you're wrong because there is nothing anyone could possibly say to prove your emotions wrong.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Ex. Draisaitl went down to the AHL now back up he does everything you ask of. Do you realize besides 30+ some games last year he hasn't played even a complete year year yet - now compare that to RNH/Eberle. He looks like he cares more, plays harder, and genuinely is proud to be an Oiler

this entire paragraph is supposition. you're making asumptions on what these players feel and believe based on your own outside perspective, which has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever. all this paragraph shows me is that you do not like these players on a personal level and will say whatever is needed to get your point across. by making these baseless assumptions about their attitudes and attacking their character, you've completely invalidated any argument you have about the way these players actually play the game.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We need Buf bad, maybe I am a homer because I have loved this guy for a long time, but man would I be pumped if he was on the Oil.

I think we would all like Good playing big Buff . The only concern is who do you get ? Maybe after he signs a big contract you end up with Big Fat Buff .

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
this entire paragraph is supposition. you're making asumptions on what these players feel and believe based on your own outside perspective, which has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever. all this paragraph shows me is that you do not like these players on a personal level and will say whatever is needed to get your point across. by making these baseless assumptions about their attitudes and attacking their character, you've completely invalidated any argument you have about the way these players actually play the game.

:clap:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
A five page PGT after a win? L - OH - ****ing - L. Some people just like to complain apparently. Funny that most of the usual suspects running RNH and Eberle into the ground took today off.

I was relatively pleased with the game tonight aside from a poor pinch from Davidson and some scrambly zone play. Also too often it looks like our forwards don't know how to manufacture offense off of the cycle; the get it in, control it, win battles on the board, but it doesn't look like there's any clear plan for what to do.

That said, can't critique a win overly. Talbot was solid, Hall, Drai, RNH, Ebs, and Sekera were our best players. I thought our new look fourth line was effective.

I usually critique both RNH and Eberle whenever I can [and really, pretty much any player; I ain't blind like the "usual suspects" with their favorites] but just don't have the time to chime in even on games where they are brutal. Some people just have a life outside of HF;)

That said, they weren't bad at all this game. I'm not sure why everyone kept praising Pouliot though-I didn't think he played that well and the penalties pissed me off more than anything. I guess him getting into people's faces is a change.

If Eberle and RNH play as hard as they do consistently, I'd have no problem keeping them around given McDavid and Draisaitl are still on ELCs. The only thing I wish both would change up is how they approach corners during puck races. The slowing down frustrates the hell out of me especially when they are ahead of the opposition defence. I didn't see much of that against Arizona but there were quite a few instances against Anaheim [PGT that I didn't bother chiming in on] where both slowed down giving away possession.

If they fix that, both them and the team would be better off.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Kassian-McDavid-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Khaira

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Reinhart

I like it. If Purcell walks, and i'd let him unless he comes back for cheap on a one year maybe two year deal, then i'd still try and sign another winger at least. I'm not sure about Kassian on the LW though, does anyone know if he's played there before? It would give McDavid the option of two one timers from his two wingers both of whom can shoot.

Also a bit OT but your boy Laleggia looks to be off to a great start BBO, he's got 13 points and is +11 in 28 games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A five page PGT after a win? L - OH - ****ing - L. Some people just like to complain apparently. Funny that most of the usual suspects running RNH and Eberle into the ground took today off.

I was relatively pleased with the game tonight aside from a poor pinch from Davidson and some scrambly zone play. Also too often it looks like our forwards don't know how to manufacture offense off of the cycle; the get it in, control it, win battles on the board, but it doesn't look like there's any clear plan for what to do.

That said, can't critique a win overly. Talbot was solid, Hall, Drai, RNH, Ebs, and Sekera were our best players. I thought our new look fourth line was effective.

Personally I didn't even bother watching the game. I recorded it, then just watched the OT and shootout feeling their was no reason to watch any of the rest of it. I'm basically burned out of Oilers hockey after yet another string of hapless performances and losses.

Given the choice between getting out on a beautiful blue sky day and showshoeing in the woods and watching the Oilers the decision was easy. You would have to pay me to watch the Edmonton Oilers play an afternoon game at this point.

lol at the timing posts coming out now in a game where Nuge apparently played well.

Its no surprise Nuge can play well and be aggressive in challenging D. Indeed a large part of the frustration is how few games in a year he decides to do that.

No surprise Eberle can score. Just prior to yesterdays game some surprise that he had been limited to 8 goals.

The reality is McDavid went down and this org, this fanbase, needed other guys to dig deep. Hall and Drai have done that throughout. Can't be said about the 2nd line can it?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Personally I didn't even bother watching the game. I recorded it, then just watched the OT and shootout feeling their was no reason to watch any of the rest of it. I'm basically burned out of Oilers hockey after yet another string of hapless performances and losses.

Given the choice between getting out on a beautiful blue sky day and showshoeing in the woods and watching the Oilers the decision was easy. You would have to pay me to watch the Edmonton Oilers play an afternoon game at this point.

lol at the timing posts coming out now in a game where Nuge apparently played well.

Its no surprise Nuge can play well and be aggressive in challenging D. Indeed a large part of the frustration is how few games in a year he decides to do that.

No surprise Eberle can score. Just prior to yesterdays game some surprise that he had been limited to 8 goals.

The reality is McDavid went down and this org, this fanbase, needed other guys to dig deep. Hall and Drai have done that throughout. Can't be said about the 2nd line can it?

Sums up how I've felt. Calling out posters and saying it's only agenda is just plain stupid. If they suck, which for a good portion of the year, they have, it warrants criticism.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Actually Schultz moves the puck really well on the PP, its just that play never ends up going towards the net. We need someone that can actually shoot the puck with force and meaning.

Unless a really good deal comes our way, I would not panic and trade someone like RNH to get a mediocre 2-3 dman. We are stuck in a hard spot with a bunch of really good young dmen and we might have to wait for them to come around.

We are stuck with Sekera now, do we really want to trade one of Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart or Davidson, considering their potential, current value, cap hits and age? We might have to ride it through.

Sekera has been great. Exactly as advertised, #2/3 guy.

Schultz is dead weight especially on the PP. Hunt so far has been ok this year but we know he can't handle the nhl defensively.

Having another 2/3 guy with a useful and heavy PP righty shot would certainly improve this team a ton. Not perfect but a step in the right direction.

If we have to trade one of our good lefties or a rnh or Ebs I think we need to. I think trading rnh would be extremely rough but we need to improve our right side drastically somehow.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sums up how I've felt. Calling out posters and saying it's only agenda is just plain stupid. If they suck, which for a good portion of the year, they have, it warrants criticism.

Thanks. I think the degree to which people here call out other posters is a form of negativity honed by years of frustration watching this Oilers club. Its unfortunate that that aspect prevails and another reason why so few posters still post here.

By being a poster here one gets;

1) The aggravation incumbent in being an Oilers fan.

2) The compounded aggravation experienced by everyone else that is similarly impacted. :laugh:

Spock would say that continued participation and watching games is illogical behavior;)

I'm just playing around, I'm an Oilers addict, this being well established.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad