OT: Covid-19 (Part 34) It's beginning to look a lot like... (Mod warning #439)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

We have 2 variant going on now.
The UK variant and the one from South Africa.

From what I've red.
Both spread faster, but the UK version has 17 mutations while the one from South Africa has 22 mutations and it has been said that the one from Africa is more dangerous to younger people than the previous strain and.....there's some concern now about the vaccine.

South African Covid-19 variant may be 'more effective at spreading' | Coronavirus | The Guardian
Covid mutant strain 501.V2 found in South Africa is ‘more severe among young adults' | World | News | Express.co.uk

That variant has been found in the UK....so it's possible one region is dealing with the South African variant.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I wonder what the handguns were for. Maybe to shoot down the variant strain in case it might show up at the parties.

Everytime I read the term “Super Spreader” I think of this guy

NECA-Super-Shredder-TMNT-II-027.jpg

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You'll think I'm making this up, but she showed us a routine on the poll... wearing 8-inch heels. She talked my female friend and the other lady into trying some moves too. So I'm sitting there watching a lizard stripper and two other women contort their bodies in a group pole dance as a warmup to the anti-vax plandemic seance.

I barely believe this shit myself, but it really happened. :laugh:
Before I forget, were there any NHL players there, and did any of them flirt with your friend?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We have 2 variant going on now.
The UK variant and the one from South Africa.

From what I've red.
Both spread faster, but the UK version has 17 mutations while the one from South Africa has 22 mutations and it has been said that the one from Africa is more dangerous to younger people than the previous strain and.....there's some concern now about the vaccine.

South African Covid-19 variant may be 'more effective at spreading' | Coronavirus | The Guardian
Covid mutant strain 501.V2 found in South Africa is ‘more severe among young adults' | World | News | Express.co.uk

That variant has been found in the UK....so it's possible one region is dealing with the South African variant.

It's possible. The nurse saying it was full of children was wrong though as mentionned in the article.

Reactions: Milhouse40

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Giving everyone half the vaccine may not be better than giving half the full one.
I'm just saying, I rather have even 20-25% protection (if given the chance) than none at all. At 50% protection which is what 1 of the 2 vaccines should do, I like those odds way better.

We're in the middle of a crisis, and it's only going to get a lot worse/uglier.

If anything, the government (the same one that's issuing $1000 per traveler - wow, great deal) should be putting tons of money to ensure we all get the vaccine ASAP. How could countries like Israel be vaccinating over 100k people per day, and Canada not be able to vaccinate anywhere near as close. If Quebec was issuing 100k vaccines per day, then wow.. But we're not.

Last edited:

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
They had an interview with a snowbird in Florida on one of the news network, think it was CBC. The guy already got his call to get the vaccine next week. There's at least that, most of the snowbirds will be vaccinated when they come back to Canada.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm just saying, I rather have even 20-25% protection (if given the chance) than none at all. At 50% protection which is what 1 of the 2 vaccines should do, I like those odds way better.

If anything, the government (the same one that's issuing $1000 per traveler - wow, great deal) should be putting tons of money to ensure we all get the vaccine ASAP. How could countries like Israel be vaccinating over 100k people per day, and Canada not be able to vaccinate anywhere near as close. If Quebec was issuing 100k vaccines per day, then wow.. But we're not.

What's better for the population though? Half at 90% or full at 50%?

There is also a possibility that you don't get to 90% after 2 doses if you wait too much.

There is a reason why many are reticent to that idea.

We all want the vaccine as soon as possible, but it should be a "us" situation, not a "you".

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

We don't have 100k doses total to give, let alone 100k per day. We'll reach that kind of pace when we have the doses to do so.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Funny, I was typing that and thinking, "I'll bet money Ozy is going to comment on this..."

I liked your whole post a lot.

My take on information overload is that our brains will adapt over time, over generations.

It reminds me of the ideal grouping theory, the Dunbar number. It states that we have a cognitive limit to the number of personal relationships we can have, which is around 150. But one has to wonder if that number wasn't less further back into our evolution when we were much smaller groups and whether this very recent and very novel paradigm of hyper-hyper sociolization, billions of people interacting at a finger's lenght, will lead us to adapt a higher limit, over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Where would that be? I know all the Canadian province who decided to stop stashing half their doses did so under the assumption the supply would be delivered on time for the 2nd dose, they never said anything about delaying it.

Quebec city area or in french (région de la capitale-nationale).

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Quebec city area or in french (région de la capitale-nationale).

"Le Québec doit par ailleurs recevoir de nouvelles commandes prochainement. Le nombre de doses sera confirmé au cours des prochains jours, dès l’obtention de celles-ci, a fait savoir Mélanie Otis, du CIUSSS de la Capitale-Nationale.

Ces nouvelles livraisons devraient permettre d'avoir suffisamment de doses pour assurer à la fois la campagne de vaccination bonifiée et l'administration de la seconde dose aux personnes ayant déjà été vaccinées.
Cette deuxième dose demeure importante et elle permet surtout d’assurer une protection à long terme. Le CIUSSS assure qu'elle sera administrée dans les délais prescrits par la santé publique afin d’assurer une couverture vaccinale maximale.
"

So overall the plan didn't change and they don't seems to expect a [long] delay for people who need the 2nd shot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hoping he will recover. But you can't help but wonder if this will do him in. He just turned 87 in November.

He’s already suffered through a heart attack, a stroke and cancer. The man has sure been resilient.

Since he’s a celebrity, wouldn’t surprise me if he had access to the same kind of exclusive cocktails that Trump received.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016

There is also a possibility that you don't get to 90% after 2 doses if you wait too much.

We all want the vaccine as soon as possible, but it should be a "us" situation, not a "you".
I understand all that, I truly do. But the fact that this government keeps shitting the bed, and with the soon-to-be astronomical rise in cases (thanks to Holiday gatherings, trips down south, etc), we need to do everything to (try to) protect as many people as possible. I'd much rather be 50% protected and ensure that everyone else gets 50% protected, than think of me alone to get 90% and half the population have to struggle through these grueling times. Both odds suck, but if we can manage to at least protect as many people 50%, it's better than nothing. Those who are "protected 50%" from what I've been told (it could absolutely be false, I just heard from a friend-of-a-friend), if exposed to the virus, shouldn't have very severe symptoms (just like those with 90% are sure to have no severe symptoms, only mild). That alone, again if true, is good enough.

Quebec desperately needs an Israel situation, where they vaccinate 100k per day. Unfortunately, we're way behind that - and very soon it'll unfortunately be do-or-die for many people.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

It's a short term solution.
After 7 days the efficacy of the vaccine Goes up to 82%.

It's a good approach for UK who has reached critical point. They need protection for the next few months. In 6 months we'd be in summer and will have access to vaccine for majority of population.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's a short term solution.
After 7 days the efficacy of the vaccine Goes up to 82%.

It's a good approach for UK who has reached critical point. They need protection for the next few months. In 6 months we'd be in summer and will have access to vaccine for majority of population.

I heard one of their experts say that there is up to a 3 month window within which to administer the second vaccine. This would give them an opportunity to administer more first doses.

Last edited:
Reactions: llamateizer

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I understand all that, I truly do. But the fact that this government keeps shitting the bed, and with the soon-to-be astronomical rise in cases (thanks to Holiday gatherings, trips down south, etc), we need to do everything to (try to) protect as many people as possible. I'd much rather be 50% protected and ensure that everyone else gets 50% protected, than think of me alone to get 90% and half the population have to struggle through these grueling times. Both odds suck, but if we can manage to at least protect as many people 50%, it's better than nothing. Those who are "protected 50%" from what I've been told (it could absolutely be false, I just heard from a friend-of-a-friend), if exposed to the virus, shouldn't have very severe symptoms (just like those with 90% are sure to have no severe symptoms, only mild). That alone, again if true, is good enough.

Quebec desperately needs an Israel situation, where they vaccinate 100k per day. Unfortunately, we're way behind that - and very soon it'll unfortunately be do-or-die for many people.

If you have half the population protected, it lowers the chance the unprotected get it as well through herd immunity.

The data on the one dose efficacy is also limited, so I wouldn't bet my house on it.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Quebec has received a tad over HALF that number.

Reactions: Runner77

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
If you have half the population protected, it lowers the chance the unprotected get it as well through herd immunity.

The data on the one dose efficacy is also limited, so I wouldn't bet my house on it.
I read that the vaccination won't stop people from getting COVID though - again, I don't know what's true and what's not true. That said, I'll take your word, considering you know a lot about everything COVID related.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I read that the vaccination won't stop people from getting COVID though - again, I don't know what's true and what's not true. That said, I'll take your word, considering you know a lot about everything COVID related.

There isn't sufficient evidence to be sure the vaccine blocks asymptomatic cases, but that doesn't mean it doesn't.

Doing the one-dose for everyone before doing the 2nd one is a gamble.

There are benefits — and risks — to a single-dose COVID vaccine strategy, experts say | Ottawa Citizen
Pfizer Backs Two-Dose Shot Schedule as U.K. Spaces Out Shots
Could Moderna be authorized as a one-shot vaccine? Here’s what we know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad