Couturier head shots Dach. Couturier drops the gloves with Xhekaj. Seeler comes in as a 3rd fighter. Xhekaj gets the penalty...?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Xhekaj is going to continue to get harsh treatment from the refs due to his reputation.

It's unfair but it's going to happen.

If it were anyone else, you think the same result would have occurred?

If I were Hughes, I'd give the league a phone call after this one.

Reactions: Essenege

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Couturier dropped the gloves first. We don't know what was said on the ice but Couturier was shaking his head, he probably didn't want to fight. Maybe refs took that into account. Seeler should have still gotten a penalty here.
Can’t let someone get away with charging in like that. I can’t believe it wasn’t called

And if the refs wanted to send Xman a message, give him a double for whatever so his team is still shorthanded

omgimdiene

Oct 16, 2024
3rd man is a ref’s decision. It is not automatic, sorry. It’s explicit in the rule book. If a fight actually happened then I think it would have been 3rd man in, but no punches were thrown. The refs are fine. They made their call the way they saw fit and as the nhl allows. Move along.

Reactions: TKB

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Not saying Couturier should get an instigator, just that if he drops his gloves first after the two of them chatting I don't see how Xhekaj could be called for instigator here. I don't have an issue with anything Couturier did here, I just don't see how Seeler doesn't get a penalty.
Yeah you could certainly call Seeler, but I don't know but seems like officials are being to encouraged to take 1 instead of offsetting penalties to discourage the scrums.

From a traditional sense I would take Seely to offset, but if my supervisor/evaluator wants me to be taking one, its a different story, including the possibility of just Seeler.

Watching another game so didn't look to close and was just trying to answer why Xhekaj might go by himself. Also I have no idea whet else has gone on this game which matters as well.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
3rd man is a ref’s decision. It is not automatic, sorry. It’s explicit in the rule book. If a fight actually happened then I think it would have been 3rd man in, but no punches were thrown. The refs are fine. They made their call the way they saw fit and as the nhl allows. Move along.
The call was bullshit. Move along. All that matters is the Couturier dropped his gloves first. Either he gets the extra penalty or call nothing or offsetting penalties.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Dropping the gloves first isn't necessarily an instigator. Everyone in the building knows Couturier doesn't want the fight. Calling it this way saves himl from getting the automatic 10 to go along with a 2 for instigating and 5 for fighting.

And absolutely we don't know what is said on the ice and the communication from the official who is right there. Just from this clip I can see why it would be called this way.
It doesn't matter what else happened. The one who drops the gloves first IS the instigator
even if he was suckered into dropping them first. And if Couturier didn't want to fight DON'T drop the gloves.

I wish
Spend 3 mins reading any Montreal thread and you’ll know that’s not true
Most Habs posters are knowledgeable.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It doesn't matter what else happened. The one who drops the gloves first IS the instigator
even if he was suckered into dropping them first. And if Couturier didn't want to fight DON'T drop the gloves.

What does that have to do with being biased

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
even if he was suckered into dropping them first.
And if Couturier didn't want to fight DON'T drop the gloves.

That's not true. The rule lays out a number of criteria the official can use to determine if an instigator is called. Dropping the gloves is one of the criteria, but so is distance traveled, first punch thrown, verbal challenge threats.

The call on the ice was unsportsmanlike conduct. And roughing or unsportsmanlike lie could have been given both ways for dropping the gloves if that is what official wanted to do.

He chose not to, he was right there and I guarantee you he is talking the players as this is all going down.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

That’s not how that works. Dropping the gloves first can be justification for calling an instigator but it isn’t what determines the infraction.

Officials knew that exactly what was happening here, sure they could have called more on everyone involved. Given it didn’t escalate they decided to let the players off.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
why are people saying the fight hasn't started. coots throws a right and seelers attack from the xhekajs blindside after xhekaj had already dropped the gloves and squared up with coots. should have been called.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
can someone post the complete play? Like the previous 30 seconds?

That is why I want to watch the 30 second previous to the gloves being dropped

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
because the never actually engaged in a fight I can see not getting third man in.
but should have been at least offsetting.

I did like couturier there. Drops his glove. Looks at the ref. Ref doesn’t step in. Shakes his head and squares up.

He was going to try it. Good for him.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Nurse got an instigator the other night for a fight that seemed mutually agreed upon off a faceoff. Starting to wonder if there's some sort of mandate to give an extra 2 to whoever they deem to have "initiated" a fight, even if only verbally.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
That’s not how that works. Dropping the gloves first can be justification for calling an instigator but it isn’t what determines the infraction.

Officials knew that exactly what was happening here, sure they could have called more on everyone involved. Given it didn’t escalate they decided to let the players off.

That's kind of where I'm at.

There should've been more offsetting penalties but it's pretty obvious what Xhekaj's intentions were.

As for the headshot, I haven't seen a great angle but from the one posted it looked like Couturier was trying to play a puck going by his skates and not even throwing a hit?

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Refs are tired of Costco Boys antics. Couts is a respected player around the league, there's no reason to fight a scrub like Xhekaj. Third man in didn't even try to swing a punch - just broke up what would have been a completely useless fight for his Captain. Good on him and good on the refs for recognizing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad