Couturier head shots Dach. Couturier drops the gloves with Xhekaj. Seeler comes in as a 3rd fighter. Xhekaj gets the penalty...?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Well either he gets a 2+5+10 and one of the Flyers gets 5 or just give Xhekaj 2. Couts is like a 15 year veteran, pretty respected, and has a pretty clean rap sheet. The other guy has been in hot water lately
What type of penalties do you get exemption from and how many years into your career do you have to be?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I would understand giving absolutely nothing to Couturier for the ... tussle (yeah, he dropped the gloves, but it was more code nonsense than him actually wanting to do so), and Xhekaj probably deserved exactly what he got (a minor for unsportsmanlike), but whatever Seeler did is actually what blown the play dead. The call makes no sense.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I actually agree that it wasn't a headshot (in terms of principle point of contact), but he did get hit in the head, and to see a guy who's injury prone snap his head back like that you kind of have to respond if you're Xhekaj. And I agree Seeler should have stepped in.

Really the only people at fault here are the refs, and they'll of course be the only ones not held accountable for it whatsoever.

Exactly this.

I don't blame Xhekaj from talking to Couturier after a hit that might looked dirty at full speed.

I don't blame Couturier from droping the gloves first because of the stupid "code".

I don't blame Seeler from trying to save his injury prone captain.

But the only logical consequence should be 2 minutes each for roughing to Xhekaj and Couturier + 2 minutes to Seeler for being the 3rd man.

Refs just had a brain cramp here.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Refs aren’t robots. If someone like Cooke was going after someone like Sakic or Lidstrom it’s safe to guess how the officials will rule. Either way he instigated so he’s probably better off sitting for 2 instead of 17
Watch what happened and edit your post accordingly.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Refs aren’t robots. If someone like Cooke was going after someone like Sakic or Lidstrom it’s safe to guess how the officials will rule. Either way he instigated so he’s probably better off sitting for 2 instead of 17
Yeah but this isn’t a situation where it’s unclear what should happen lmao

Third man in is pretty black and white

Reactions: dirtydanglez

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
And xhekaj stopped the tough guy routine.

Xhekaj has a reputation for not allowing a player to join the fight fairly
You're literally contradicting yourself here. So he's not a tough guy because he wasn't hitting him but also he's apparently a coward for not letting a player join the fight fairly which he clearly did here.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Couturier dropped the gloves first. We don't know what was said on the ice but Couturier was shaking his head, he probably didn't want to fight. Maybe refs took that into account. Seeler should have still gotten a penalty here.

Dropping the gloves first isn't necessarily an instigator. Everyone in the building knows Couturier doesn't want the fight. Calling it this way saves himl from getting the automatic 10 to go along with a 2 for instigating and 5 for fighting.

And absolutely we don't know what is said on the ice and the communication from the official who is right there. Just from this clip I can see why it would be called this way.

Reactions: Bileur and Korpse

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'm good with not calling third man in there, there was no fight (yet) to be third in on. Also good with Xhekaj getting unsportsmanlike or whatever but Seeler should have gotten roughing also.

Reactions: MXD

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Yeah but this isn’t a situation where it’s unclear what should happen lmao

Third man in is pretty black and white
I guess if you consider a half second of grappling with no punches thrown a fight. Often times the guy who starts stirring the pot gets called, especially if he has a reputation

Reactions: Bileur

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Dropping the gloves first isn't necessarily an instigator. Everyone in the building knows Couturier doesn't want the fight. Calling it this way saves himl from getting the automatic 10 to go along with a 2 for instigating and 5 for fighting.

And absolutely we don't know what is said on the ice and the communication from the official who is right there. Just from this clip I can see why it would be called this way.
Not saying Couturier should get an instigator, just that if he drops his gloves first after the two of them chatting I don't see how Xhekaj could be called for instigator here. I don't have an issue with anything Couturier did here, I just don't see how Seeler doesn't get a penalty.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I guess if you consider a half second of grappling with no punches thrown a fight. Often times the guy who starts stirring the pot gets called, especially if he has a reputation
It obviously should be considered a fight

Did Seeler intervene to stop nothing from happening? Makes no sense

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Maybe since He got there before the fight actually started, so technically not the third man in. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad