Country with the Best Starting 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
CAN
Crosby-McDavid-MacKinnon
Toews-Makar
USA
J.Hughes-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
Q.Hughes-A.Fox
SWE
Pettersson-Zibanejad-Nylader
Hedman-Dahlin
FIN
Aho-Barkov-Rantanen
Lindell-Heiskanen
RUS
Panarin-Malkin-Kucherov
Sergachev-Provorov
CZE
Necas-Hertl-Pastrnak
Gudas-Hronek
SWI
Meier-Hischier-Fiala
Siegenthaler-Josi

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Not a certainty that this is the "best 5" from America:

USA
Q.Hughes-A.Fox

Either Jaccob Slavin or Charlie McAvoy would probably make that top pair; most likely Slavin-Fox would be the "top pair" for USA.

Also Jack Hughes hasn't overcome Jack Eichel and Brady Tkachuk would be right in that mix as well. Tough to not see a B. Tkachuk-Matthews-M. Tkachuk line as the #1 for USA; but if it is just based on "best" then it would be Eichel over Hughes.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Should include goalies IMO

Like how the Czechs look and I'll add Dostal as our goalie.

I'd pick USA out of these lists

Slovaks would be
Slaf-Tatar-Pospisil
Nemec-Cernak (or Fehervary if you prefer)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
What Buchnevich said.

Canada has the top starting 5. Include a goaltender and USA is the best.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Not a certainty that this is the "best 5" from America:

USA
Q.Hughes-A.Fox

Either Jaccob Slavin or Charlie McAvoy would probably make that top pair; most likely Slavin-Fox would be the "top pair" for USA.

Also Jack Hughes hasn't overcome Jack Eichel and Brady Tkachuk would be right in that mix as well. Tough to not see a B. Tkachuk-Matthews-M. Tkachuk line as the #1 for USA; but if it is just based on "best" then it would be Eichel over Hughes.
I don’t know many people that have Eichel over Jack Hughes. Hughes is just in a different world when it comes to skill. Eichel does bring a better all-around game tho and I understand why one would take him. Also love Slavin, but I would take Hughes if we’re TAKING the best 5 players from each country. Leaving the vets American Defenceman from that seems wrong.

Last edited:

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
I don’t know many people that have Eichel over Jack Hughes. Hughes is just in a different world when it comes to skill. Eichel does bring a better all-around game tho and I understand why one would take him. Also love Slavin, but I would take Hughes if we’re TAKING the best 5 players from each country. Leaving the vets American Defenceman from that seems wrong.
Yeah I understand the thought process about skill; just that there is alot of "great hockey" that gets left out of that conversation and guys like Eichel and Slavin bring that to the table. It's not a knock on Quinn Hughes; just that a pair like Q. Hughes-Fox is pretty one-dimensional compared to an actual pairing like Toews-Makar that is elite in all areas.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Canada used to have defensive lineup that they could’ve won with anyone in net even though they had guys like Price, Luongo etc

Nowadays, Canadian defense does not strike me as impenetrable and they definitely would need strong goaltending to succeed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad