CountDown to Camp - Opens September 19

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Now that Labour Day has passed things will start ramping up towards the beginning of camp, the pre-season which begins September 22 and Opening Night in Montreal October 9th. Hopefully the thread can be used for discussion of the team going forward for the new season and leave the playoff failures to the other threads.

Prospect tournament kicks things off in Montreal September 14-15.

Pre=season schedule

1725366067619.png

Strange that they haven't announced the actual date for the start of camp, if I were to guess I'd say around the 19th.

Not much news as yet but thought this may be of interest as something to watch going forward.

IMO, Cowan and Timmins make it, Murray gets hurt.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Missing the prospect tournament which is on Sept 14 and 15 and officially kicks off the season. This year a new format, playing a back to back against the Habs prospects.

It is from these games we will see which guys are serious about making the roster. Last year Minten and Cowan both had strong tournaments leading to one making the team out of camp.

But we are about ~2 weeks out from opening day of training camp with the big boys

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I am starting to talk myself into Patches on the basis of last year being his Connor Brown year. Just took some time to get back into game speed after a major injury.

If he can get past that and return to the form he scored at the prior two years it would be nice.

Failing that he gets waived into oblivion, so his cap hit would have to align with that flexibility.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Timmons is a bubble guy for sure but IMHO is too weak defensively to play a role for Berube and not gifted enough on the O side to be a top 4. 7th d man must be strong. He is too much Tyson Barry style

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Timmons is a bubble guy for sure but IMHO is too weak defensively to play a role for Berube and not gifted enough on the O side to be a top 4. 7th d man must be strong. He is too much Tyson Barry style
Roger that, with Rielly and Lilly on the backend no room for anymore defensively inept D men on the Leafs this coming year……….

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Roger that, with Rielly and Lilly on the backend no room for anymore defensively inept D men on the Leafs this coming year……….

Timmins was 1st in GF% and 1st in xGF%, Benoit played badly in the playoffs... I'd at least give Timmins some games, they score more when he is on the ice.

Liljegren had the lowest HDCA last season, he is good defensively.

Timmins was ahead of most (4th) for the lowest HDCA while being good defensively.

Not saying give Timmins a job... just give him a look, he is good at hockey and he has put up points every time he has been playing.

There is less of a need for him this year because we have more puck movers, but he is still good at hockey and has done well in a tough position.

The fact they gave Klingberg a chance because he was good 5 years ago and barely gave Timmins a chance is insane to me.

Does Berube play a super defensive game? Seems weird to give him a lot more puck movement on the backend and move to smaller D who try to defend less in this case...

Barrie in his prime was great, Babcock didn't use him well.

Reactions: Al14

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Barrie was worse here than Holl. Right up there with Lebda and easily my least favourite Dman of the Matthews era. Trading Kadri for him didn’t help as I was sour from day 1.

Barrie was fine under Keefe, terrible under Babcock.

Overall he was terrible, no disagreement there, but his game improved a ton when he was used in an offensive role instead of trying to make him a two way D.

Kadri got suspended again after being traded... this is why he was traded and he proved everyone who said he can't be trusted right.

Some Colorado fans wanted him gone after that.

Kadri was probably a top 5ish player on Colorado during the run, congrats to him, I like him, but not sure why people get upset about that trade, he performed terribly in Toronto production wise, was constantly suspended and then got suspended again after leaving.

I like Kadri's attitude and think he was a good player, but he never helped the Leafs... it is weird that people hate some players who have actually stepped up in playoff series and then love some guys who never helped them win but showed "heart" sometimes.

I don't know, man. I remember Barrie playing here and he was terrible defensively. Any 2 on 1s were automatic goals.

Bring Brodie back? He is the best at 2 on 1s.

Reactions: bax

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Barrie was fine under Keefe, terrible under Babcock.

Overall he was terrible, no disagreement there, but his game improved a ton when he was used in an offensive role instead of trying to make him a two way D.

Kadri got suspended again after being traded... this is why he was traded and he proved everyone who said he can't be trusted right.

Some Colorado fans wanted him gone after that.

Kadri was probably a top 5ish player on Colorado during the run, congrats to him, I like him, but not sure why people get upset about that trade, he performed terribly in Toronto production wise, was constantly suspended and then got suspended again after leaving.

I like Kadri's attitude and think he was a good player, but he never helped the Leafs... it is weird that people hate some players who have actually stepped up in playoff series and then love some guys who never helped them win but showed "heart" sometimes.

Bring Brodie back? He is the best at 2 on 1s.
Bro we got Barrie and Kerfoot. That was a hard loss day 1 of the trade even if Kadri got suspended every playoffs. Kerfoot was useless besides that one tip goal 13 points in 30 games for us. His sweater may as well have said Jarnkrok on it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Timmons? Barry?

I appreciate Timmins was sheltered, yet his stats are quite good. He has a rocket of a point shot, something people regularly beg for…. His offense for his minutes and his puck moving ability is very good.

Yes, he has work to do, but he’s been injured so often, and missed so much time that his development has been Pejorative Slured. (Edit Hmm. That’s not a slur in this context think delayed, but starts with a r) . I don’t know if he can ever overcome that, or not be so injury prone, but he is worth the chance.

Reactions: ACC1224

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Now that Labour Day has passed things will start ramping up towards the beginning of camp, the pre-season which begins September 22 and Opening Night in Montreal October 9th. Hopefully the thread can be used for discussion of the team going forward for the new season and leave the playoff failures to the other threads.

Prospect tournament kicks things off in Montreal September 15-16.

Pre=season schedule

View attachment 904702

Strange that they haven't announced the actual date for the start of camp, if I were to guess I'd say around the 19th.

Not much news as yet but thought this may be of interest as something to watch going forward.

IMO, Cowan and Timmins make it, Murray gets hurt.

FYI you have the dates of the prospect tournament wrong (and so does the article). If you click the source of the hockeynews article, the montreal on says it

Fans who can’t afford tickets to watch the Canadiens play NHL games at the Bell Centre will have an opportunity to see the team’s top prospects play two games at the arena on the weekend of Sept. 14-15 at a very affordable price.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
FYI you have the dates of the prospect tournament wrong (and so does the article). If you click the source of the hockeynews article, the montreal on says it
I thought the Sunday and Monday dates seemed weird.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A decision on Pacioretty will come soon. And we'll also have some sort of resolution on Robertson hopefully soon as well. It's been a long summer of nothing.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
A decision on Pacioretty will come soon. And we'll also have some sort of resolution on Robertson hopefully soon as well. It's been a long summer of nothing.
It does seem unusually quiet this year. I'm guessing that's how Treliving likes it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Bro we got Barrie and Kerfoot. That was a hard loss day 1 of the trade even if Kadri got suspended every playoffs. Kerfoot was useless besides that one tip goal 13 points in 30 games for us. His sweater may as well have said Jarnkrok on it.

Bro

Kadri: 19GP 3G 7A 10PTS and 2 suspensions
Kerfoot: 30GP 4G 9A 13PTS and 0 suspensions

Was Kadri that much better for us?

If you exclude the 2013 playoffs, Kadri's stats are 12GP 2G 4A 6PTS and 2 suspensions, just wanted to show his stats with the core we have now.

Reactions: Jojalu

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Bro

Kadri: 19GP 3G 7A 10PTS and 2 suspensions
Kerfoot: 30GP 4G 9A 13PTS and 0 suspensions

Was Kadri that much better for us?

If you exclude the 2013 playoffs, Kadri's stats are 12GP 2G 4A 6PTS and 2 suspensions, just wanted to show his stats with the core we have now.
Such is the unfortunate circumstances of dumb coaching not utilizing him properly.

Colorado didn't make that mistake though, how were his playoff stats over there?

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Unfortunately he didn't perform like it, so there is a big issue there, he just couldn't elevate his game with all the pressure I guess.
He did perform better. It's ok to dislike a player and want him gone, doesn't mean he isn't a better player than his replacement.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Such is the unfortunate circumstances of dumb coaching not utilizing him properly.

Colorado didn't make that mistake though, how were his playoff stats over there?

Being the 6-10th most important player likely helped, maybe less pressure was all he needed or maybe Babcock just misused him, not sure.

He didn't produce here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad