Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Am I just not that good with search engines, or is it hard to find the Slafkovsky post draft interview with Marek where they have a special video from Chara ?

Did Sportsnet like erase everything Marek did ?

Even on Twitter I couldn't find it. Found Demidov's that someone recorded off their TV with their phone and posted on reddit.

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
South Shore
Am I just not that good with search engines, or is it hard to find the Slafkovsky post draft interview with Marek where they have a special video from Chara ?

Did Sportsnet like erase everything Marek did ?

Even on Twitter I couldn't find it. Found Demidov's that someone recorded off their TV with their phone and posted on reddit.
It wasn't with Marek.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
How does everyone see our powerplay units shaping out?

I'm guessing we'll see Matheson/Suzuki/Slaf/Caufield/Laine on the 1st unit and Hutson/Dach/Gallagher/Newhook/Anderson on the 2nd to start off.
Gawd Damn! I hope to never see Gallagher and Donkey on the PP ever again.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rapala and Habano

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019

I'm guessing we'll see Matheson/Suzuki/Slaf/Caufield/Laine on the 1st unit and Hutson/Dach/Gallagher/Newhook/Anderson on the 2nd to start off.
I think I would put two centers per unit in case one gets chased from the faceoff. So one of Caufield and Laine goes to the second unit while Dach/Newhook goes on the main unit

Then, I’d put Dvorak instead of Gallagher and Roy instead of Anderson. Roy is a shooting threat and a great playmaker, I think he should see some PP time

So: Matheson, Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Newhook as a first unit and Dach, Laine, Hutson, Roy and Dvorak as the second one

Considering how strong the second unit is here, I would play them close to 50:50 with different strategies per unit

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I don’t know where to put this but if you want to buy authentic Adidas Habs jersey’s and get one before you can only get the new Fanatics ones, they’re on sale on NHL shop. Not a whole lot of sizes available but they beat Fanatics gear 10 times out of ten. I got one in « virgin » so I can have an Adidas Demidov one and I’ll wait for his official number before have it printed.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That could happen
Suzuki's track record with his wingers may play into it.
Dach took great strides on his flank as did Slaf.
It's very possible we want to give Laine that same opportunity/comfort zone to rekindle his game.
I had an inkling we'd be going Suzuki/Slaf and Dach/Caufield before we got Laine.
We actually have better options for that Caufield Dach pairing now.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Gawd Damn! I hope to never see Gallagher and Donkey on the PP ever again.
This is why ruling out two D on that second phase makes no logical sense.
You always always always play your best puck handlers.
If they happen to be Dmen so be it.
I'd rather see Guhle Barron or even Arber in the bumper before I gave those guys another kick at that can.
Crap Justin Barron got one opportunity on PP1 when Matheson was penalized and he scored.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: the

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
This is why ruling out two D on that second phase makes no logical sense.
You always always always play your best puck handlers.
If they happen to be Dmen so be it.
I rather see Guhle Barron or even Arber in the bumper before I gave those guys another kick at that can.
Crap Justin Barron got one opportunity on PP1 when Matheson was penalized and he scored.
Exactly! 2 man D on PP #2. I'm a big fan of Barron and believe he's a shoe in for that role but even Guhle and Arber can do a great job.

I think it's obvious the final spot belongs to Joshua Roy. How can someone think Gallagher and Donkey should still be on the PP?

If anything, Yo-Elle Armia is way above them and should have priority and all the goodwill "veteran" favoritism before these two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

You gotta somehow insert Roy in that second unit. He's got a great touch, can shoot the puck, very nifty. He can do a lot of damage with time and space.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
What is most exciting about this season is that we've got 5 forwards that each have something to prove and the skill/age/roster opportunity to have career best years...

Dach - injury return. Huge motivation + full summer of healthy training.

Laine - injury + recovery return, got the change of scenery he wanted, wants 40 or 50g.

Caufield - odd "disappointing" career best year last season. Year removed from injury, motivated to chase that 40-50 club as well

Newhook - injury marred career best season, motivated to show end of season was just tip of the iceberg (+ extra drive to cement a top 6 spot in light of Laine add)

Slaf - physical beast who got a taste of what he can do and ready to make a statement

Odds are not all 5 will have a career year... But imagine if they did :biglaugh:

2* 40-50 goal scorers in CC/Laine
Slaf & Dach going ppg
Newhook putting up a 30/30

None of those are unrealistic, even if all 5 happening is unlikely... Could we be that lucky :dunno:

And while I'm not expecting much, can't forget that Anderson & Gally will be motivated to show they still belong in an NHL top 9, and Evans, Dvo & Armia are all playing for their next UFA contract...

Throw in the steady eddy Suzuki & Roy trying to cement himself as an NHL regular, and we've got a recipe for a potentially stellar year from our fwd group.

Haven't had a group with this much potential heading into the season for as long as I've followed the Habs.

Future is bright 😎

Reactions: NewDef and Redux91

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
What is most exciting about this season is that we've got 5 forwards that each have something to prove and the skill/age/roster opportunity to have career best years...

Dach - injury return. Huge motivation + full summer of healthy training.

Laine - injury + recovery return, got the change of scenery he wanted, wants 40 or 50g.

Caufield - odd "disappointing" career best year last season. Year removed from injury, motivated to chase that 40-50 club as well

Newhook - injury marred career best season, motivated to show end of season was just tip of the iceberg (+ extra drive to cement a top 6 spot in light of Laine add)

Slaf - physical beast who got a taste of what he can do and ready to make a statement

Odds are not all 5 will have a career year... But imagine if they did :biglaugh:

2* 40-50 goal scorers in CC/Laine
Slaf & Dach going ppg
Newhook putting up a 30/30

None of those are unrealistic, even if all 5 happening is unlikely... Could we be that lucky :dunno:

And while I'm not expecting much, can't forget that Anderson & Gally will be motivated to show they still belong in an NHL top 9, and Evans, Dvo & Armia are all playing for their next UFA contract...

Throw in the steady eddy Suzuki & Roy trying to cement himself as an NHL regular, and we've got a recipe for a potentially stellar year from our fwd group.

Haven't had a group with this much potential heading into the season for as long as I've followed the Habs.

Future is bright 😎
Anderson also has something to prove. If he doesn’t get it together this year and score at least 20, his career is in jeopardy

Reactions: Miller Time

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Seems like Dach is in game shape

Great news!

kirby-happy.gif

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
So what's wrong with our captain showing the new guy the ropes and getting him acclimated to the team and style? Suzuki just doing what Suzuki does and why he got chosen captain of this team
Because if there's no drama, we invent it. Cause drama is fun and alleviates the monotony of everyday life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad