Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 2 days)

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 36 15.0%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Never said that but Hutson without a doubt will get heavy PP and 3-on-3 TOI
Going from bottom 5 to playoff mix because of one player means that the player should be one of the best at their position in the league. You don't make that jump when the player is simply solid.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Going from bottom 5 to playoff mix because of one player means that the player should be one of the best at their position in the league. You don't make that jump when the player is simply solid.
It’s more a reflection of team strategy & depth at play. 2007-2008 team couldn’t score 5-on-5 but was dominant on PP despite not having much in the way of elite or secondary scoring finishing 1OA in Eastern Conf…

IF Laine actually does return to the lineup healthy in 3-4 months, I find it hard to believe Habs won’t be battling for a playoff spot

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
What has changed since last year to "turn the tide on half the losses"? The only difference is Dach instead of Monahan, and Hutson in the lineup. It seems like a MB strategy to just pray for luck.
They stop hemorraging goals on the special units! PK, PP and defending 6v5. Habs 5v5 differential was -4 last year, but their total differential was -53.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It’s more a reflection of team strategy & depth at play. 2007-2008 team couldn’t score 5-on-5 but was dominant on PP despite not having much in the way of elite or secondary scoring finishing 1OA in Eastern Conf…

IF Laine actually does return to the lineup healthy in 3-4 months, I find it hard to believe Habs won’t be battling for a playoff spot
Depth? What depth? Have you seen the lines after the top line? I don’t even know why you think it’s a slam dunk guarantee that the PP will be elite when we just went 0-30.

Assuming that Hutson will help the team have a net +30 goal differential from last year, Dach stays healthy all year, and Laine comes back early and doesn’t miss a beat after essentially 1.5 years of no real hockey is incredibly optimistic. I’d be shocked if we weren’t bottom 10.

They stop hemorraging goals on the special units! PK, PP and defending 6v5. Habs 5v5 differential was -4 last year, but their total differential was -53.
So ignoring the fact that our special teams was worse this preseason than last year, what makes you confident that we will go from bottom of the league to even above average while everything else remains the same?

Reactions: habsfan891

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I like you guys but you're crazy.
8th-12th draft pick incoming (and that is being generous)
playoff hopes are DED.

crying-still.gif

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
The roster looks really poor. Bottom five.

At some point, the fans will demand more. Seeing Gallagher and Dvorak in the lineup again is very disheartening.

Reactions: 1909

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Especially PP2. Outside Hutson, it is darn awful. I would had given a chance too to Guhle and Xhekaj, even Barron on PP.
Which is why IMO there will be 1PP unit that’s put out there taking 70-80% of TOI and Hutson will inevitably end up being the QB w Matheson coming in for last 20-30% as other point option

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So ignoring the fact that our special teams was worse this preseason than last year, what makes you confident that we will go from bottom of the league to even above average while everything else remains the same?
When Mailloux is your most played PKer by ~4 minutes, I'm not sure you can compare the two pre-seasons (it was Savard and Guhle who lead the pre-season PK TOI last year). But 6 GA in both pre-seasons (and 4 of that in a single game this year), not actually worst.

The PP, the 1st unity only played 2 games this year compared to 4 last pre-season...and last year their PP QB was Norlinder when they scored (2 goals), not Matheson. ;)

6v5/6v5 looked better this pre-season, but who knows what the season group will looks like. If Gallagher/Anderson are there expect goals against.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Especially PP2. Outside Hutson, it is darn awful. I would had given a chance too to Guhle and Xhekaj, even Barron on PP.

It embarrasses me a little that MSL and/or the org as a whole thinks the 4F/1D deployment should apply to the 2nd unit. All three of those D you listed not only bring more to the potential of a second unit, but also simply deserve those opportunities more than two maybe even all 3 of those forwards not named Newhook.

I won’t lose sleep over it, it’s really not that serious, but it makes my eyes roll.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Looking forward to seeing Suzuki in “gritty veteran” mode. Caufield finally healed. Slafkovsky as “arrived”. Dach back. Guhle a year better. Lane Studson.

Laine back.

God, I love hockey.

Go Habs Go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad