Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 2 days)

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 36 15.0%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I didn't really haven't liked him on that left side either for a couple of seasons now.
A huge focus will be put on where the power play is breaking down this season both on zone entry and zone possession.
Might be why they had NS with him on the left for a while, with Slaf on the right. Looks like that won’t be the case, starting out.

Reactions: Rapala

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Any ideas of being "in the mix" went out the door with Laine's knee. It's not that he was this amazing player that would singlehandedly propel us to or anything, but now there are players in chairs they're not suited for (again) and all the bulk of the offensive for the PP now falls on the first unit (again).

That's the underlying issue of injuries. Some guys do step up and emerge, of course, which is nice, but it really can be a trickle-down effect.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Any ideas of being "in the mix" went out the door with Laine's knee. It's not that he was this amazing player that would singlehandedly propel us to or anything, but now there are players in chairs they're not suited for (again) and all the bulk of the offensive for the PP now falls on the first unit (again).

That's the underlying issue of injuries. Some guys do step up and emerge, of course, which is nice, but it really can be a trickle-down effect.
Management was saying "in the mix" before they acquired Laine. Talk of it started in the end of season review last year.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Management was saying "in the mix" before they acquired Laine. Talk of it started in the end of season review last year.
Yeah, and then they acquired Laine. It's no secret they had irons in the fire all over the place this offseason looking for a top-6 option. I think they had it in mind all along when saying that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With this personnel, our best lines may be:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
ABB - Dach - Kapanen
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Dvo - Evans - Anderson

Not sure Armia - Dach - Newhook will bring the offense.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Armia did absolutely nothing in preseason yet got promoted to the 2nd line. This roster is really bad. Don't even get me started on that 2nd unit PP.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who else deserves it tho? If you are going off pre season merit than Evans and Pezz should be in our top 6 :laugh:
I would still have gone with Roy since I value actual NHL games where he looked good before his injury. The second line fell off a cliff once Roy was gone. Most of the team looked awful in preseason outside the first 2 games and the line juggling was a large reason why.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Its all jokes but its actually embarassing if we suck on the pp again. And the fact matheson is starting the season and that Laine barely got any reps with the first unit just shows that they aren't very worried about making big changes , alarming to say the least
Matheson finished 2nd on the team in PP points and also 8th in the league in PP points amongst Dmen.

Yes, he's not the ideal PPQB, but he's far from being THE problem.

Hutson will get his chance but I think it's completely fair for MSL to run with the same unit to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad