Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 1 day)

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 147 61.0%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 36 14.9%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It embarrasses me a little that MSL and/or the org as a whole thinks the 4F/1D deployment should apply to the 2nd unit. All three of those D you listed not only bring more to the potential of a second unit, but also simply deserve those opportunities more than two maybe even all 3 of those forwards not named Newhook.

I won’t lose sleep over it, it’s really not that serious, but it makes my eyes roll.
They have a good reason to go 4F1D on PP2.
His name is Lane Hutson.

The plan is to transition him onto PP1. It will be more seamless if the units are running the same scheme.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Just read the MSL quote on the official practice article on Habs website. He thinks the team will be ready for Wednesday home opener.

I think I'm going to bring popcorn.:popcorn:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Just read the MSL quote on the official practice article on Habs website. He thinks the team will be ready for Wednesday home opener.

I think I'm going to bring popcorn.:popcorn:

It's always a coin flip with the Leafs, I wouldn't be shocked if they come out less "ready" than the Habs on game 1. I'm more worried about the 2nd game tbh.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I am bringing drugs.

norm-macdonald.gif

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We might have the worst bottom 9 forward core in the league. As much as it pains me to say, the top line may need to get broken up just to spread them out.

What has changed since last year to "turn the tide on half the losses"? The only difference is Dach instead of Monahan, and Hutson in the lineup. It seems like a MB strategy to just pray for luck.

I don't think they're praying for anything. No one has said they need to make the playoffs just that they want to see improvements in their young players and be in a position to play meaningful games towards the end of it.

Improvement is going to have to come from the young players: Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble & Barron on D. You can't expect more from Matheson/Savard.

Upfront continued improvement from Suzuki & Slafkovsky, better season from Cole and healthy ones from Newhook and Dach.

Until this team can move on from deadweight players like Dvorak, Anderson & Gallagher there's only so much you can do.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I'm worried about Slaf this year. He looked off in the preseason, and seeing him drop his gloves with the new monster contract... just bad judgement considering nothing was on the line, he wasn't hit from behind etc.. he sought out a fight and pulled a dude's hair.

Hope he's mentally ready for this season, that big money can change a guy

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm worried about Slaf this year. He looked off in the preseason, and seeing him drop his gloves with the new monster contract... just bad judgement considering nothing was on the line, he wasn't hit from behind etc.. he sought out a fight and pulled a dude's hair.

He doesn't have that money yet. Contract starts next July.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

He dropped his gloves because no veterans wanted to do it

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't think they're praying for anything. No one has said they need to make the playoffs just that they want to see improvements in their young players and be in a position to play meaningful games towards the end of it.

Improvement is going to have to come from the young players: Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble & Barron on D. You can't expect more from Matheson/Savard.

I think Matheson's +/- is going to take a leap forward.

Upfront continued improvement from Suzuki & Slafkovsky, better season from Cole and healthy ones from Newhook and Dach.

Until this team can move on from deadweight players like Dvorak, Anderson & Gallagher there's only so much you can do.
Agreed on Anderson and Dvorak.

Gallagher was overpaid last year, but we won't get more than 16 goals from a bottom line player we suit up instead. That being said, I don't like Gally on PP2.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

This. 100000000000.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
LaPresse reporters were probably bored yesterday considering what they wrote this morning.

The main takeaway is that one of them forgot Dvorak was still on the team after the others reminded him.:sarcasm:

It's always a coin flip with the Leafs, I wouldn't be shocked if they come out less "ready" than the Habs on game 1. I'm more worried about the 2nd game tbh.
2nd game is the back of a back-to-back, statistically it's supposed to be a loss.

• Haha
Reactions: Leto

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I agree with everything except for jumping on the back of Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher at the end of your post. These are vets who will have good moments and will help our youth.

Don't expect much from Dvorak. He's going to continue to do what he does. Maybe he gets some momentum if he can stay healthy.

Gallagher to me was better in the 2nd half last year. I think he helps our bottom 6 more than hurts it.

Anderson has more to offer. He should be coming in this year with more energy. He's not dumb, he knows how bad his season was. I don't think Hughes/MSL will tolerate complacency this season.

Only Armia is better

I believe Armia wants to stay in Montreal and take less to stay too! He really did wake up last year and played well in the 2nd half. I'm sure Hughes/MSL told him that if he keeps it up, we have room for him. If he stays at this level, he's a great middle 6F to have IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't think we should expect break out type play with Slaf. He will be fine but expect modest growth as the season moves along. A lot of his points came from momentum last year.

Reactions: Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad