Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 1 day)

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 147 60.7%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 36 14.9%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
We play a real-life NHL game tomorrow! Not a clown show one where nothing matters and other team's scrubs take runs at our best guys!

Yay!!!
That's right. Now will have opposing teams' regular lineup scrubs taking runs at our best guys. I'm looking at you, Max Dummi.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I hope it's not his groin. He bulked up this summer. When one bulks up it's important to also strengthen one's core, including groin, hip flexor, etc... And he's had nagging groin problems in the past.
Would be kinda ironic that he didn't hurt his groin at the start of camp like all the previous year, it happened in the last game instead. :(

• Wow
Reactions: 26Mats

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Veterans typically don't get "promoted" or even "demoted" based on preseason performances.

Armia on the 2nd unit is a reflection of the team's depth or lack thereof.
Armia was our fourth leading goal scorer last year.
How many new guys beat him out at camp this year?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Armia was our fourth leading goal scorer last year.
How many new guys beat him out at camp this year?

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with my post.

When I say by lack of depth, it essentially means there was no better option, unfortunately.

Reactions: jrom

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
A huge part of our problem last year was our complete lack of offense outside of the 1st line. I don't expect any notable improvement from our bottom 6, and with Laine gone our 2nd line looks among the roughest in the league if you look at it from a career PPG point of view. I decided to take a quick look at how our projected 2nd line's career PPG compared to the projected 2nd lines of the other bottom 10 teams last season.

Armia is dead last among right wings and tied with McBain to have the lowest career PPG out of the group at 0.35. Armia's is technically slightly higher, but he's also 7 years older and likely not going to improve.

Newhook is 3rd last among left wings and Dach is 2nd last among centers. A huge part of our potential success is both of these players making significant improvements, but with Dach's injury troubles and missed development time I'm not sure how much of a step he can make this year.

We're arguably going into the season with the worst 2nd line in the league, and on top of that we have a hilariously overpaid bottom 6 that's also likely going to be bottom of the barrel.

I'm not trying to be too much of a doomer, but our special teams look terrible, our bottom 9 looks worrisome and we're a team riddled with injuries. I'm excited to see if our 1st line can carry off their momentum from last season and I like our defense pairs, but it's going to take about 10 miracles happening simultaneously for this to be a playoff team.

Montreal (28th)
Newhook: 0.47Dach: 0.47Armia: 0.35

San Jose (32nd)
Granlund: 0.66Smith: N/AZetterlund: 0.46

Chicago (31st)
Hall: 0.84Kurashev: 0.44Bertuzzi: 0.64

Anaheim (30th)
Fabbri: 0.50McTavish: 0.58Zegras: 0.73

Columbus (29th)
JVR: 0.62Fantilli: 0.55Labanc: 0.47

Utah (27th)
McBain: 0.35Cooley: 0.54Guenther: 0.64

Ottawa (26th)
Greig: 0.38Norris: 0.67Batherson: 0.73

Seattle (25th)
Schwartz: 0.65Stephenson: 0.55Burakovsky: 0.57

Calgary (24th)
Zary: 0.54Backlund: 0.54Coleman: 0.46

New Jersey (23rd)
Tatar: 0.56Hischier: 0.78Mercer: 0.53

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
A huge part of our problem last year was our complete lack of offense outside of the 1st line. I don't expect any notable improvement from our bottom 6, and with Laine gone our 2nd line looks among the roughest in the league if you look at it from a career PPG point of view. I decided to take a quick look at how our projected 2nd line's career PPG compared to the projected 2nd lines of the other bottom 10 teams last season.

Armia is dead last among right wings and tied with McBain to have the lowest career PPG out of the group at 0.35. Armia's is technically slightly higher, but he's also 7 years older and likely not going to improve.

Newhook is 3rd last among left wings and Dach is 2nd last among centers. A huge part of our potential success is both of these players making significant improvements, but with Dach's injury troubles and missed development time I'm not sure how much of a step he can make this year.

We're arguably going into the season with the worst 2nd line in the league, and on top of that we have a hilariously overpaid bottom 6 that's also likely going to be bottom of the barrel.

I'm not trying to be too much of a doomer, but our special teams look terrible, our bottom 9 looks worrisome and we're a team riddled with injuries. I'm excited to see if our 1st line can carry off their momentum from last season and I like our defense pairs, but it's going to take about 10 miracles happening simultaneously for this to be a playoff team.

Montreal (28th)
Newhook: 0.47Dach: 0.47Armia: 0.35

San Jose (32nd)
Granlund: 0.66Smith: N/AZetterlund: 0.46

Chicago (31st)
Hall: 0.84Kurashev: 0.44Bertuzzi: 0.64

Anaheim (30th)
Fabbri: 0.50McTavish: 0.58Zegras: 0.73

Columbus (29th)
JVR: 0.62Fantilli: 0.55Labanc: 0.47

Utah (27th)
McBain: 0.35Cooley: 0.54Guenther: 0.64

Ottawa (26th)
Greig: 0.38Norris: 0.67Batherson: 0.73

Seattle (25th)
Schwartz: 0.65Stephenson: 0.55Burakovsky: 0.57

Calgary (24th)
Zary: 0.54Backlund: 0.54Coleman: 0.46

New Jersey (23rd)
Tatar: 0.56Hischier: 0.78Mercer: 0.53
The more we got through preseason and started to see things unfold, with injuries and how players were playing, it seemed more and more that we were primed for a bottom 10 finish. It's hard for me to pick more than 4 or 5 teams that I feel pretty comfortable about us finishing above. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope so.

Reactions: BergevinBurner

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
The more we got through preseason and started to see things unfold, with injuries and how players were playing, it seemed more and more that we were primed for a bottom 10 finish. It's hard for me to pick more than 4 or 5 teams that I feel pretty comfortable about us finishing above. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope so.
Another lottery pick wouldn't be the end of the world with how some of the draft eligibles have started out. Martone and Misa are absolutely dominating the OHL right now.

I think Demidov's going to be a pretty major spark plug to our offence next year, and once some of our dead weight contracts like Dvo/Gally/Anderson expire it's going to give us a pretty big boost.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
They should have dumped Barron while they had the chance, not looking forward to him all year.

• Wow
Reactions: the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad