Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
The illness gets worse when he asserts himself on the ice? oh FFS........someone tell this lunk to just stop talking.
Send someone with an IQ higher than an eggplant to do the media availabilities.

They all have medical excuse that prevents them from playing playoff hockey...

Keefe is coaching juniors, what's he supposed to do? They are already crying !!! You want him to yell at his bunch?

Now consider he knows Babcock and Lou were fired for being mean .. "I guess he does have injury that flares up when he needs to try hard... Mitch has suffered from the same illness for years now, I guess it's true"

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
If you want to see speed
If you want to see players following a system
If you want to see passion
If you want to see players playing their position
If you want to see core players leading

Watch Jets vs Avs.
I watch other teams play and wonder how there is so much space for them to skate. We play likes it 5vs6 with the room we have. Is it just because we are a slow team or is it the stupid "regroup" system that bleeds that speed away and makes us predictable?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Kampf and Samsanov were free agents, they were signed by Treliving... their being here before is irrelevant, he made the decision.

I am saying the entire team is playing badly... every thread is complaining about players who were here before this year, and no one is calling out new guys.

Guys like Bertuzzi, who is getting embarrassed by Marchand are off the hook for some reason, even though they were brought in for the playoffs.

Bertuzzi has been trash, I like Domi.

The majority of the team (including Marner) has sucked, not disputing that, people are just attacking anyone but new people, it is weird.
He only had so much time to find better options. Would you have preferred wholesale changes like his predecessor?

Not everyone is playing worse - that's an odd blanket statement to make. Matty and Willy are playing better, Mitch and JT are worse. The same applies to the old and new bodies.

And did you really expect him to make massive improvements in the short time he had, with the awful situation he was left with?

It's weird you can read these threads and think only the old players are being criticized.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think that is about it. Its still hugely lopsided.

2x Corey Crawford CHI
2x Matt Murray PIT
1x Braden Holtby WSH
1x Jordan Binnington STL
2x Andrei Vasilevskiy TBL
2x Jonathan Quick LAK
1x Antti Niemi (Undrafted) CHI
1x Marc-André Fleury PIT
1x Chris Osgood DET (+97 98)
1x Ilya Bryzgalov ANA
1x Cam Ward CAR
2x Martin Brodeur NJD
(18) 1x Pavel Francouz COL (Unbdrafted 6w - 0l)
-----------------

17(18) of 22 (1 year was lockout)

So I think it's safe to say drafting your own tender is pretty important to winning a cup.
Osgood was a free agent signing. (the multiple seasons he spent outside of DET between stints make him a HUGE reach for your case)
Bryzgalov was the backup goalie.
Niemi and Francous were free agent signings (one with no NHL experience at age 28)

And then the guys you didn't mention:

- Tim Thomas was a free agent signing.
- Adin Hill was traded for.

So really, out of the last 24 cup winners (the timeline you defined), 14 had goaltenders they acquired via the draft. 10 didn't.

This is not the correlation that you think it is.

Some of these goalies were elite, some were "just good enough to not blow it", a couple were not very good at all, and many were in-between. How well a goalie performs makes a much bigger difference in whether he'll eventually win a cup for you, than the manner in which you acquire him. Obviously.

How about the last 24 finalists:

Traded: 10
Drafted: 8
Signed: 4
Expansion Draft: 1
Waivers!: 1

so, 22 out of 48 finalists drafted their goalie.... big whoop. Let's focus on things that matter.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
how many of you actually wanna see this core return?

The most Leaf thing that will likely happen is Leafs find away to win Game 5 and 6 and then make everyone believe they got their shit together and they dont show up at all Game 7
I would prefer they get their doors blown off if they are just going to string people along and cause a game 6 or 7. Just make it obvious how much this team needs a major shake-up....no piddling excuses about luck and randomness.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I watch other teams play and wonder how there is so much space for them to skate. We play likes it 5vs6 with the room we have. Is it just because we are a slow team or is it the stupid "regroup" system that bleeds that speed away and makes us predictable?
I don't know what the statistics say but Bruins have to be one of the best defensive team in the league. Or playing like it. The Leafs have no time or space to do anything on the ice. This is not an excuse for Leafs play but I would give this credit to Boston so far this series.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Osgood was a free agent signing. (the multiple seasons he spent outside of DET between stints make him a HUGE reach for your case)
Bryzgalov was the backup goalie.
Niemi and Francous were free agent signings (one with no NHL experience at age 28)

And then the guys you didn't mention:

- Tim Thomas was a free agent signing.
- Adin Hill was traded for.

So really, out of the last 24 cup winners (the timeline you defined), 14 had goaltenders they acquired via the draft. 10 didn't.

This is not the correlation that you think it is.

Some of these goalies were elite, some were "just good enough to not blow it", a couple were not very good at all, and many were in-between. How well a goalie performs makes a much bigger difference in whether he'll eventually win a cup for you, than the manner in which you acquire him. Obviously.

How about the last 24 finalists:

Traded: 10
Drafted: 8
Signed: 4
Expansion Draft: 1
Waivers!: 1

so, 22 out of 48 finalists drafted their goalie.... big whoop. Let's focus on things that matter.

How many times did he win outside DET?

It seems to matter. Statistically sound

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
2 months till July 1st

What's the over/under of Keefe getting dumped before that and some huge roster moves? Or is it "run it back again"

I think I am warming up to the idea of investing my free time doing something else in the evening instead of just Leafs LOL
"run it back again" is my biggest fear. They'll find the excuses that Nylander missed three games, Marner was skating on one leg, Matthews had ebola, malaria and the bubonic plague all in one season, Samsonov finally found his game, Keefe coached them to a 100 point season again...and on and on. Change is absolutely necessary, you simply should not run it back under any circumstances.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
"run it back again" is my biggest fear. They'll find the excuses that Nylander missed three games, Marner was skating on one leg, Matthews had ebola, malaria and the bubonic plague all in one season, Samsonov finally found his game, Keefe coached them to a 100 point season again...and on and on. Change is absolutely necessary, you simply should not run it back under any circumstances.
If they run it back i would be shocked. There is so much heat on them they can’t be that stupid.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I’m not worried, for it has already been written:

IMG_2536.png

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Lol.

That is quite the list of illnesses.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Only way we even win 1 more game is to have Woll in net and playing like he did before injury.

Get Tavares away from PP1 and drop him down to 3 line wing. (NEED MCMANN BACK)
JT couldn't receive a pass or was way too slow to move the puck and got swamped every time he touched the friggen thing.

44 to pull finger and stop shooting his muffins into other players instead of space.
Move Robertson up the line up.

Aw **** it, who am I kidding?
Team is toast and I fear they will be toast for years until someone with balls, gets their Axe out and builds a proper team. I don't care who goes.

I would want to maybe keep Woll, Matthews, Willy, Knies, Mcmann, Domi Benoit, McCabe nxt season. The rest can figure out something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad