News Article: COULD LEAFS LET REIMER WALK? TheFourthPeriod.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avec Fromage*

Reimer's gone before next season, if not before FA. I've been saying this since Bernier was acquired.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don't agree with this fella.

The likes of Berra (2nd), Scrivens (3rd), Fasth (3rd+5th), Neuvirth (3rd + Halak rental) get positive value as UFA's or with a year on their contract. While, the younger, more experienced, more productive, RFA get's not only less than these players, but can't even return a 7th?

Realistically, he got a .911 sv% this year in what was dubbed the worst goaltending performance of all-time by HFboards. Might as well keep him if this is the case, he is likely better than anything on the FA market that the Leafs have a chance at and you give him an opportunity to increase his value for a future deal.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
They should have traded him when they traded for Bernier and signed a veteran backup instead.

I think they kept him to make sure Bernier was the real deal before passing.

Imagine if they traded Reimer right after getting Bernier and he blew up in their face? Can you imagine the hindsight 20/20 vision we'd be seeing upon that?

Keeping Reimer was the right move. Giving him a QO is the right move. At the very worst Reimer is a capable backup. No he's not Bernier, but anyone saying that Reimer can't be a backup isn't worth talking with.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
TO BE HONEST I DONT THINK THEY CAN LET HIM WALK, it would be better if they got something for him. I want him to stay though, having a solid backup goalie if bernier goes down could prove invaluable

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TO BE HONEST I DONT THINK THEY CAN LET HIM WALK, it would be better if they got something for him. I want him to stay though, having a solid backup goalie if bernier goes down could prove invaluable

How exactly did that apply to this past season? :)

That might have been the plan on paper, but it certainly didn't work out that way. Leafs couldn't win a game when Bernier went down with Reimer in net as the backup plan.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

That might have been the plan on paper, but it certainly didn't work out that way. Leafs couldn't win a game when Bernier went down with Reimer in net as the backup plan.

They had stretches with Bernier during the season where they couldn't win games to save their lives as well.

They let up a record worst SA totals during the season. Analysts predicted the eventual collapse all year long, it almost happened earlier in the year.

Any of the bargain bin FA back-ups probably don't fair any better behind this team, with this coach.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Reimer will do better with a solid D corp in front of him after he is moved. Guy deserves a chance to prove he should be a number one tender.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I don't agree with this fella.

The likes of Berra (2nd), Scrivens (3rd), Fasth (3rd+5th), Neuvirth (3rd + Halak rental) get positive value as UFA's or with a year on their contract. While, the younger, more experienced, more productive, RFA get's not only less than these players, but can't even return a 7th?

Realistically, he got a .911 sv% this year in what was dubbed the worst goaltending performance of all-time by HFboards. Might as well keep him if this is the case, he is likely better than anything on the FA market that the Leafs have a chance at and you give him an opportunity to increase his value for a future deal.

Ryan Miller, Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak, Evgeni Nabokov, Ilya Bryzgalov, Brian Elliott, Ray Emery, Jonas Gustavsson, Thomas Greiss, Alex Stalock, Al Montoya, & Chad Johnson are all UFAs, among others. In what is already a fickle market, the only way a team trades for Reimer, instead of just throwing money at any one of the many guys I listed, is if they really, really like him. Even then he's not worth much. The problem with signing him is that he'll come in at at least the same price tag as the one he had this season and the Leafs simply don't have the cap-space to burn even the additional 900k on a back-up goalie. Then theres the question whether he even wants to play in this market. The chances of Reimer being in a Maple Leafs jersey next season are reallllllly slim

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I was joking about the whole, going to italy thing :laugh:

I am not a fan of Reimer, most know this. Drew MacIntyre looked better then him down the stretch, and Reimer got the ball rolling on our collapse (the game against Montreal namely).

Putting my feelings aside, Reimer almost certainly sees no future in this organization and won't want to return. His value is practically nothing, due to the fact that he had such a poor year and the goalie market is dry.

At this point, if we don't get an offer before June 29th or whatever, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to just cut him loose. Especially since it appears Carlyle will be back. We don't need a disgruntled player in the room.

Do you not see what is so hypocritical with the majority of your posts in this thread? You go tooth and nail arguing with people defending players on our team that you believe don't deserve to be bad mouthed, namely Clarkson, and here you are, any chance you get, trying to rip on Reimer. The best thing that happened to this team, and to Reimer, was Bernier coming back from injury and playing terrible in front of a terrible team. That made it impossible to blame Reimer for the "collapse" that people like you would have jumped all over, shadowing the terrible play from the team. I hope and fully believe Reimer will be gone , traded.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

Even after with Bernier or McIntyre in net, the leafs didn't fare any better. When bernier came back he went on to post a .897 save % and a 3.40 GAA and a 1-3-0 in 5 starts. Going by some wizards in here, since McIntyre played better in 95 minutes than Reimer and also Bernier in the same stretch of games - i guess that means he's our new #1 next season.

Bernier right now is in rehab post surgery. the leafs dumping reimer for nothing, without knowing the full results of how Bernier recovers, and if there's any lingering problems (small goaltender and groin issues... sounds familiar anyone?!) is premature at best. costs nothing for the leafs to QO Reimer outside of cap space in the off season.

Will bernier come back 100%? will he start having groin issues? especially if the leafs ride him hard next season?

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I was joking about the whole, going to italy thing :laugh:

I am not a fan of Reimer, most know this. Drew MacIntyre looked better then him down the stretch, and Reimer got the ball rolling on our collapse (the game against Montreal namely).

Putting my feelings aside, Reimer almost certainly sees no future in this organization and won't want to return. His value is practically nothing, due to the fact that he had such a poor year and the goalie market is dry.

At this point, if we don't get an offer before June 29th or whatever, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to just cut him loose. Especially since it appears Carlyle will be back. We don't need a disgruntled player in the room.

I totally agree except that MacIntyre is not an NHL goalie. Not even close. If they ship out Reimer and go with MacIntyre as the back-up, then this team is doomed.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Ryan Miller, Jonas Hiller, Jaroslav Halak, Evgeni Nabokov, Ilya Bryzgalov, Brian Elliott, Ray Emery, Jonas Gustavsson, Thomas Greiss, Alex Stalock, Al Montoya, & Chad Johnson are all UFAs, among others.

yes and they will all be available come July 1st :help:

not to mention with some of those - I'd rather have reimer.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Even after with Bernier or McIntyre in net, the leafs didn't fare any better. When bernier came back he went on to post a .897 save % and a 3.40 GAA and a 1-3-0 in 5 starts. Going by some wizards in here, since McIntyre played better in 95 minutes than Reimer and also Bernier in the same stretch of games - i guess that means he's our new #1 next season.

Bernier right now is in rehab post surgery. the leafs dumping reimer for nothing, without knowing the full results of how Bernier recovers, and if there's any lingering problems (small goaltender and groin issues... sounds familiar anyone?!) is premature at best. costs nothing for the leafs to QO Reimer outside of cap space in the off season.

Will bernier come back 100%? will he start having groin issues? especially if the leafs ride him hard next season?

Thats a really good question but I don't think Reimer will be the answer for reasons previously stated. Its just another question mark hanging over a team with many of them to begin with.

yes and they will all be available come July 1st :help:

not to mention with some of those - I'd rather have reimer.

Only a few are needed to make a point. There aren't many teams looking for a #1 goalie and they don't normally pay for back-ups during the off-season either

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Thats a really good question but I don't think Reimer will be the answer for reasons previously stated. Its just another question mark hanging over a team with many of them to begin with.

anyone you bring in will have those same question marks, if not more because you then have removed any thought from bernier's mind that he'll be pushed.

the only reason i'd dump reimer was if i could get another goaltender who's style matched bernier's very closely.

I think the leafs defense struggled with both goaltenders having such a differing style of play - whereas that didn't occur the season prior with scrivens and reimer.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
anyone you bring in will have those same question marks, if not more because you then have removed any thought from bernier's mind that he'll be pushed.

Maybe you're right but its not like the Reimer/Bernier dynamic worked out so well for us to begin with. Toronto had a backup goalie who lost all of his confidence as Reimer was a starter in April but a bench-warmer in December.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Maybe you're right but its not like the Reimer/Bernier dynamic worked out so well for us to begin with. Toronto had a backup goalie who lost all of his confidence as Reimer was a starter in April but a bench-warmer in December.

*if* reimer was brought back, management and coaches would certainly have to handle this far better than they did.

it's difficult to go from a starter, to a #2 with occasional starts. - just like it is for a player to miss 4-5 games, your timing is certainly not up to par.

Reimer was certainly fighting the puck down the stretch - anyone that's played the position knows when you can't get into your groove; it's a very lonely place to be.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
entitled?

i wouldnt want a goaltender or a player on the team that didnt' want to play more than they were.
:shakehead
How about one that can adapt to a backup position and step up when needed?

I think it's key for guys to want all the playing time they can get. But at the same time I didn't think Reimer's attitude was great at times this season.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

I think it's key for guys to want all the playing time they can get. But at the same time I didn't think Reimer's attitude was great at times this season.

that's actually quite difficult to do mid season for any goaltender, especially one pretty inexperienced. we also have no idea how that was managed from the coaching perspective; and / or player expectations.

hell that's difficult for a player to miss 3-4 games, come back for 1, step out 3-4 games .. let alone someone that has to stop a puck at 150km/h. I remember people saying because clarkson missed 10 games at the start of the season, this season should be wash for him - but you then hear the same people assume that reimer moving from playing nearly 3 out of every 4 games to playing 1 out of 6, he's supposed to somehow be as brilliant as he was at the start of the season.

Then you have the leafs so poor in their own zone, and trying to read / predict and anticipate with such a porous defense without seeing it on the ice on a consistent basis - all sorts of bad things can happen to a goaltender. it's a very symbiotic level of trust and confidence between defense and the goaltender.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Boston could get Rask for Raycroft, we can get a mid round pick out of Reimer at the very least. Retaining him is just money.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

true, but then again if we're pointing fingers at players that disappeared or made the same amount of mistakes as the goaltenders during the collapse, you would have very little of the team left.

the team didn't play well enough to win, a good team will win games at times in spite of the goaltender; the leafs couldn't win games unless the goaltender was on.

Therein lies the problem, and no backup the leafs are going to get is going to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad