Could Jack Eichel become hockey's Tommy John?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Difference is Frank Jobe was putting his secondary career on the line. As an employee of the Dodgers, they were more likely to listen to him.

The doctor Eichel got to suggest this surgery isn’t a Sabres doctor.

That being said, if Eichel wants this surgery so badly, sign a waiver letting the Sabres off the hook for $50M if it fails. Why should the Sabres take all the financial risk?
Buffalo should take the risk because he was injured playing on their payroll. If he doesn’t play for them that’s a different story. Similar to if you were to get injured at work. Should you los your job if you want a surgery that sucks less and doesn’t limit you as much?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Eichel should just get the surgery he wants.

who cares about the 50 million.

his net worth is already 30 Million bucks

he will have breached his contract and the sabres will terminate his contract and get jack shit for Eichel

Jack then signs a deal with whatever club he wants

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
A team shouldnt have the right to decide for a human life. He has to do whats best for him, its not up to the Sabres.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I don't recall any other hockey players needing an invasive operation on their neck (maybe Gary Roberts in the mid-90s?) like Eichel is facing, unlike pitchers who due to the particular strain of their position on the elbow need surgery on that joint relatively often.

Letang.

Interesting point OP. While i would echo the rarity of TJ surgery in the "normal" public, spine/disk injury is very common... i dont know anyone who has had TJ surgery that wasn't a baseball play (more specific a pitcher), while i have and im sure many on here have had these types of injuries/surgery... i will tell you right now if i had the option to do it over i would do disk replacement over fusion surgery... and if i could go back to just surgery or no surgery i wouldn't have it at all....anyone who thinks fusion surgery is any better then 50/50 needs to find a different doctor or probably have never had spinal issues.

Malkin is set to have it after he retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad