OT: Coronavirus XXXVI: Bat Scratch Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Makes sense that they would have a small increase then.

so really at any point were our ICU’s overwhelmed? If they were why hasn’t there been mass hysteria in the media for the last decade with the numbers where they have been?
no, but the threat was always the reason for the hysteria
despite ICU's only reaching 38% of its 398 bed capacity at it's peak (Dec 28th there were 153 people in ICU)
https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/about/publications/2018-19-annual-report-web-version.pdf
(page 146)

Reactions: oilers'72

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So curious whether we get further opening up. In my particular case I'm curious if restrictions on youth sports like hockey will open up any further. Will hockey games be allowed? My kids teams had exactly 1 game this year - which my kids had to miss because we were isolating due to a Covid exposure. After that hockey was cancelled completely. It would be nice to finish up the season with a game or two (although I think their club doesn't think that will happen - name bars have already been taken off their jerseys).

But... numbers are increasing. R-value is above 1. Not sure this is the time. Maybe once we get some more vaccines in people and the elderly are taken care of.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
3,2,1, before the twitter meltdowns..

I wonder how much the motivation for some to exhort govt to just keep everything locked down is so the revised EI keeps rolling in undeterred. Relaxation in restrictions could mean some people getting their job back..

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Wow. Trudeau’s really dumpster diving for vaccines :laugh:

What’s the deal with this AstraZeneca vaccine? Any countries having success with it right now?

From what I've been able to gather is it better to be given to the younger crowed because Ive seen anywhere from 57% to 78% effective rates and it tends to go down with the older patients. That's why they're not recommending it for older people

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Man I'll be happy with gyms back. What a tease to allow gyms to open - but only for those with personal trainers. :thumbd:
You’re in for even more of a tease. Genuinely don’t even know what they announced in regards to gyms. Still don’t think the every day person can go into a gym without a trainer

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The R value calculations are getting more suspect all the time. Just last week rural was high and Edm, Cgy really low. maybe they have a 10 yr old calculating these with crayons.

Wait'll CBC gets ahold of this. "Alberta blowing it!!!!!"

;)

But its interesting. Case numbers down to minimal for major cities, less deaths, less hospital but lets milk R for all its worth now. Could see this happening in the media.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Team sports are not permitted

• No sports games, competitions, team practice or league play of any kind is allowed.
Individual and group fitness activities are permitted, with restrictions

• All indoor fitness must be must be scheduled or by appointment – no drop-ins allowed.
  • Low intensity individual and group exercises are now allowed without a trainer.
    • Low intensity fitness includes activities not focused specifically on cardio, that have a low depth and rate of respiration.
    • Examples include: barre, pilates, stretching, tai-chi, low intensity yoga (e.g. hatha, yin), light weightlifting, indoor rock climbing.
  • High intensity activities are permitted for one-on-one or one-on-one household training only, with a trainer.
    • High intensity fitness is often focused on cardiovascular activities that have a high depth and rate of respiration.
    • Examples include: bodybuilding/heavy weightlifting, aerobics, rowing, Zumba, bootcamp, circuit training, cross fit, dance fitness, high intensity interval training, kickboxing, spin, power yoga, swimming etc.
  • Gym, studio, and fitness centre operators should use their best judgement in identifying what category their group exercise classes fall into based on these examples.

Reactions: Skar

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
From what I've been able to gather is it better to be given to the younger crowed because Ive seen anywhere from 57% to 78% effective rates and it tends to go down with the older patients. That's why they're not recommending it for older people

In fact in real situations where it has been used, ie the UK for example, it has not really been less effective for older people. The issue is that in the trials only about 10% of the volunteers were over 65 so the data set is not robust. They just don't know for sure how well it works based on the trials.

Out here one plan is to give the AZ vaccine to younger police and fire fighters. This makes sense because they fit in a relatvely low risk group as far as outcomes are concerned but a higher risk of infection with relatively minor or not symptoms. This is relevent becase preliminary studies suggest that the vaccine may significantly reduce asymtomatic spread.

The other thing about teh AZ numbers is that they are based on parts of the trials taking place in the UK, South Africa and Brazil so they include more exposure to the variants than the mRNA viruses. So comparing raw efficacy numbers is a bit apples to oranges.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So basically libraries and...gyms...kinda? What a joke

Unfortunately AHS perfectly timed it with a data dump for Edmonton and Calgary numbers and R value somehow being higher today, after going down for weeks..

Sometimes you gotta wonder about the timing of the data.

From my eye though they didn't count many recoveries today. convenient.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Unfortunately AHS perfectly timed it with a data dump for Edmonton and Calgary numbers and R value somehow being higher today, after going down for weeks..

Sometimes you gotta wonder about the timing of the data.

From my eye though they didn't count many recoveries today. convenient.
You said it man so convenient. At this rate we might be allowed human contact by 2030!

Skar

Jul 2, 2016

tenor.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So basically libraries and...gyms...kinda? What a joke
The libraries just figured out last week that you don't have to quarantine books and items for several days. Not making this up. As it is trying to get an item out of a library has been an overdone procedure. The doors are locked, you have to phone them all your information, when you are arriving, etc, and if you're lucky somebody comes out in hazmat suit when they've finished fumigating the item and resealed the airlocks.

OK I exaggerated last part..

Sometimes I think theyre getting this pandemic mixed up with the Salisbury poisonings...

Great series on TV btw. Worth watching.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Lol what a joke.

Oh well By the end of the month were going to get a scolding and drop back to stage 1 and then once april end we will be bounced back to stage 3

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
In fact in real situations where it has been used, ie the UK for example, it has not really been less effective for older people. The issue is that in the trials only about 10% of the volunteers were over 65 so the data set is not robust. They just don't know for sure how well it works based on the trials.

Out here one plan is to give the AZ vaccine to younger police and fire fighters. This makes sense because they fit in a relatvely low risk group as far as outcomes are concerned but a higher risk of infection with relatively minor or not symptoms. This is relevent becase preliminary studies suggest that the vaccine may significantly reduce asymtomatic spread.

The other thing about teh AZ numbers is that they are based on parts of the trials taking place in the UK, South Africa and Brazil so they include more exposure to the variants than the mRNA viruses. So comparing raw efficacy numbers is a bit apples to oranges.

Yep either way No Gov is giving up their unlimited powers they've given themselves

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
You’re in for even more of a tease. Genuinely don’t even know what they announced in regards to gyms. Still don’t think the every day person can go into a gym without a trainer
I got an email from Fit4less saying gym is back open starting tomorrow. Just in time for leg day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad