Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Too nice? Too stupid is more like it. Stay 2m apart, don't wear a mask, use public transit with enclosed loop ventilation jam packed with an airborne virus that kills the elderly. Doesn't matter if you work in a nursing home or not and the symptoms don't show for up to 14 days. What I just wrote is policy and reality and most importantly MORONIC, Counter intuitive/productive. If you can defend the above, you're a brave man.
They are limiting how many can be on the bus at one time. They are doing their best but at the same time the government is not a babysitter. People need to stay home unless you need to work or get groceries. Too many people keep acting like this is nothing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's enough Gary. Nobody wants to see a leader in panic, at that point people are thinking. We are totally not in the right hands right now.

Report summary - Mood and Anxiety Disorders in Canada, 2016
According to key findings of the report, approximately 1 in 10 (3.5 million) Canadians used health services annually for mood and anxiety disorders, and higher rates were observed among adolescent and adult females, middle-aged and older adults and those with other chronic conditions, particularly asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Most people seem to think Ford is doing just fine. But no matter who the leader is or what the message is, there will be people who aren't happy.

And LOL at Ford being "in panic". I think you may have reached the point where you're just not seeing things clearly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't blame him. Trudeau could order some of our factories to start pressing the very simple to produce surgical style mask though, but I guess we can just continue to keep 2m apart except on public transit. Because you know you can only let 15 people into a 60,000 sq ft Costco at a time, but have 30 on a TTC car which is like 500sq ft.

Love the logics.

Source?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Numbers from Ontario ... would have just went with herd immunity

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
While I agree with your premise we must all realize that going to Walmart and Costco you are effectively buying into China ... and unfortunately over da past 20+ years we have moved our manufacturing to China ... why? $25 per day labour costs to increase profits ... should we stop buying product from our fortune 500 companies? should we stop buying their stock in public markets? I mean what you are proposing is such a massive undertaking to turn back da clock 20+ years. I think we all are shocked by this virus. But first step is to find antibodies and trace them back to close to their origins. We must use a fact based approach. There are people out there saying this virus traces back to late 2018 in Italy too.
massive, but not impossible, the longest journey starts with a single step. I'm not a economics expert, but I wouldn't mind paying more for products exclusively Canadian, it would create jobs here and improve the economy over the long term. And does anyone think putting your life in danger to save a few bucks is a good idea, well enjoy that Chinese mystery meat, one thing I've always bought is meat from Canada.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ontario corona virus model press conference is live now.

Deceptive numbers... How many of those people are elderly and in critical care expected to die at any time? How many were already in hospital for other reasons or high risk people?

100,000 of 15,000,000 = .0006666% which is less than the standard flu statistically. That was his worse case scenario
3,000 of 15,000,000 = .0002%

And they want us to forfeit our economies and ways of life for those "horrific" numbers.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
A thread on who has stopped or suspended shipping what to Canada would be a great reference thread to show the deficiencies that could, can, will or after this was the cause of endangerment to our self sufficiency and health

I will take my shot at the Global economy right now. It’s dangerous to not be self sufficient and have to much dependencies on other countries.

It should be a lesson learned for all Canadians. Certainly this is a great view of why we need to increase purchasing local/ Nationally from within our own country. Also manufacturing needs to increase with competitive upstart companies in this sector. This shortage should not happen again.

Reactions: rumman

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Use of Hydroxychloroquine
AHS is connecting with clinicians, operations, researchers and other experts to review emerging evidence and guidance of national and international bodies to ensure we have the most current information to provide care to Albertans during this pandemic.
At this time, Hydroxychloroquine is not recommended to be used as prophylaxis for COVID-19 outside clinical trials, given the lack of established benefit (with no existing data on prophylaxis) to counterbalance potential harms. There is minimal evidence for hydroxychloroquine in use as prophylaxis for COVID-19 illness. There are multiple trials underway to explore this, including determining what groups would be considered at highest risk and therefore in need of prophylaxis.
Potential harms of hydroxychloroquine include serious clinical and laboratory adverse effects, potential drug interactions, and pediatric morbidity and mortality. We will continue to monitor the research and evidence for hydroxychloroquine. More information is available here.

Reactions: ronzigato

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
3000-15,000 deaths projected in Ontario over the next 24 months.

Not statistically significant and does not even approach the rates of a bad flu year. Even with the 100,000 number is less than 1% death rate. I guess money families will have fun buying up all the leveraged peoples homes, all the debt strapped. Meh, whatever fine lock it up boys I don't care anymore. Lock her right up.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've never had a disdain for Ford as many others, but understand his abrasiveness rubs people the wrong way. But I too think he has handled this extremely well. It's brought humility/humbleness to him. And when he kept saying he was all about the people of the Province of Ontario -- you see that was completely genuine.
perfect summation, Ford's been exceptional thus far. I had zero doubts that he wouldn't be up to the challenges this crisis has/will present.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Their response was not rapid. They delayed for weeks but when they did lock down it was very thorough. That's what kept it from being a complete catastrophe.
They also were not forthcoming with news of what was going on.

They did a complete lock-down when they fully comprehended the potential gravity of the situation...meanwhile, we still have idiots here having backyard birthday party gatherings...even if you believe the claim that 42,000 people died in Wuhan, with a total population of over 1.4 billion people in China, it's extremely fortunate that it's only 0.003% of the population.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
On the market/financial channel this morning Cramer mentioned moving the supply chain for medical equipment & supplies back to the U.S. Two other interesting ideas were:
  • A 30-year bond like the war bond to help raise money for the medical system, state & local governments.
  • Greater utilization of the American military. One part of that was that the military has 150,000 doctors.
not sure if true, but I heard the US is trying to block N95 facemasks from being exported to Canada, if true depending on a foreign country albeit our closest ally still isn't ideal.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Actually I have a guy who works for me in Shanghai who has contacts all over da country for stuff I import into Canada. People did not know this but the reason Wuhan infections did not spread across country is very very simple. There were only certain fenced in checkpoints in and out of da city. They were military controlled checkpoints. I mean Uzis everywhere. Do you realize you could not drive your car out of your driveway in Wuhan without proper military approval? Everything was locked down super tight. On top of that cell phones were completely controlled as a secondary means of physical restraint. On top of that every building had a military staff taking your temperature both entering and exiting your building.

That is the reason very little if nothing left Wuhan. Of course there were a few infections here and there as military and very high wealth individuals were granted special permission to leave before da lockdown. It has only been very recently that some of da controls have been reduced ie there is no longer someone taking your temp when you leave your condo building.

Thanks for your insight, it's very interesting. These sound like events happening during the lock-down...but there were already plenty of people movement into and out of Wuhan before the lock-down.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
massive, but not impossible, the longest journey starts with a single step. I'm not a economics expert, but I wouldn't mind paying more for products exclusively Canadian, it would create jobs here and improve the economy over the long term. And does anyone think putting your life in danger to save a few bucks is a good idea, well enjoy that Chinese mystery meat, one thing I've always bought is meat from Canada.

I have my hierarchy of purchasing:
Canadian
North American
Japanese - cars prefer cars that are shipped over
European / South American
India
China

And of course prefer ethically sourced and humanely treated food sources.

It is more expensive, but we used to make shoes where I used to live and when they sent it overseas the price didn't drop. Money just went to the middleman. Unless it is junk, you aren't paying less, it's just going to someone other than a local worker.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Watching this Dr. Donnelly speak and explain the models reminds me of the guy from the Chernobyl series explaining the disaster.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Deceptive numbers... How many of those people are elderly and in critical care expected to die at any time? How many were already in hospital for other reasons or high risk people?

100,000 of 15,000,000 = .0006666% which is less than the standard flu statistically. That was his worse case scenario

And they want us to forfeit our economies and ways of life for those "horrific" numbers.

Go out do what you normally do and 1 of you out of every 150 will die each day. You would rather they say that! Your sick man

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What the heck is South Korea doing? They think it's over?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-covid19-april3-canada-world-1.5519144

The South Korean capital of Seoul says it will ask more than 8,500 theatregoers to self-monitor at home after Canadian and American cast members of The Phantom of the Opera were found to have the coronavirus.

Seoul City official Na Baek-ju said Friday the musical's international tour was halted following the positive test of an unidentified Canadian actress, who began experiencing throat pain and dry coughs days after she began performing at the city's Blue Square theatre on March 14. She last appeared on stage on Monday, a day before her test.

Officials have since tested 138 of her contacts, including colleagues and guests at the downtown Somerset Palace hotel, and confirmed the infection of an American actor on Thursday. Na said officials were still awaiting test results for 48 people while the other 89 tested negative. He said the hotel was ordered to prevent guests from leaving the property and stop taking new customers.

South Korea earlier on Friday reported 86 new cases of the coronavirus, bringing its nationwide total to 10,062.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

It’s a joke

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Go out do what you normally do and 1 of you out of every 150 will die each day. You would rather they say that! Your sick man

Where did you get 1 in 150 every day, that's not how it works. He said worst case is 100,000 spread over 2 years! Do you know how many people we have in their 80's on oxygen that smoked all their lives? Many of these people were set to die, you can't stop death. It's less than 1% and you are going to have 30% of people losing their homes for this?

Those are their official numbers and they aren't even taking special care to isolate the seniors, didn't for mths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad