OT: Coronavirus chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacWinnon

Jul 2, 2012
Mountains, Somewhere
Meh, that's what you get with full governmental control. They dragged anybody who had a fever and put them in quarantine camps. Might be ruthless, but you're right that it worked (if we were to believe the numbers which I don't) whereas in 'Merica you have college idiots still conducting spring break. The problem though that is due to the nanny state, those wet markets won't ever go. It's already deep in Chinese society as the acceptable norm and peoples' basic rent is made in markets.
I think it is delusional to believe China about anything here.
1. Look at how their government silences literally everything
2. Look at how they original handled this mess, you know by not telling anybody about it
3. There have been reports that they aren't even bothering testing for it
While yes, some people in the US haven't taken matters seriously enough (while many are overdoing things) it is beyond foolish to believe whatever China reports at this juncture.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think it is delusional to believe China about anything here.
1. Look at how their government silences literally everything
2. Look at how they original handled this mess, you know by not telling anybody about it
3. There have been reports that they aren't even bothering testing for it
While yes, some people in the US haven't taken matters seriously enough (while many are overdoing things) it is beyond foolish to believe whatever China reports at this juncture.
No doubt. I forgot their exact names, but the leading physician that warned of the dangers was put in prison and then later died. Then one of medical school doctors told her students to wear protective gear and she has disappeared from the public sector. Not that the WHO is any better, organisations like these are easy for lobbyists to target and there is a good percentage supporting China like that crazy Canadian bloke. However, China did lie to them in regards to downplaying covid's human to human rate.

Not only that, but brand new information that was released by Free Asian Press is indicating via funeral rates in the Wuhan province is that closer to 300,000 people have died. That sadly sounds much more accurate of a number for a country of 1.4 billion than the bogus one they're giving to the world. Plus, since Taiwan is calling for independence as well, China hasn't really done anything to help their population. As I said sometime last week, at this point would any of you lot be surprised if they accidentally released it from their biohazard lab or tried to use it on the Hong Kong uprisers?

My friend is a doctor at Anschutz and its pretty bad over there, he hasn't been home in three weeks and PPE supplies is remarkably low, especially considering that he's a critical care surgeon.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

MacWinnon

Jul 2, 2012
Mountains, Somewhere
No doubt. I forgot their exact names, but the leading physician that warned of the dangers was put in prison and then later died. Then one of medical school doctors told her students to wear protective gear and she has disappeared from the public sector. Not that the WHO is any better, organisations like these are easy for lobbyists to target and there is a good percentage supporting China like that crazy Canadian bloke. However, China did lie to them in regards to downplaying covid's human to human rate.

Not only that, but brand new information that was released by Free Asian Press is indicating via funeral rates in the Wuhan province is that closer to 300,000 people have died. That sadly sounds much more accurate of a number for a country of 1.4 billion than the bogus one they're giving to the world. Plus, since Taiwan is calling for independence as well, China hasn't really done anything to help their population. As I said sometime last week, at this point would any of you lot be surprised if they accidentally released it from their biohazard lab or tried to use it on the Hong Kong uprisers?

My friend is a doctor at Anschutz and its pretty bad over there, he hasn't been home in three weeks and PPE supplies is remarkably low, especially considering that he's a critical care surgeon.
I wouldn't, at all. That country does some scary, crazy shit that I wish were just conspiracies, but I would certainly not put it past them. I work at a hospital myself and things haven't been too crazy yet considering elective surgeries have been cancelled, but I'm sure the next 2-4 weeks will be hell. I know that they're sending mild cases home or people that aren't in critical care.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Thought this was an interesting tidbit, although not all too surprising given we're talking about a nation of 364k people: Iceland has the equivalent of 47k coronavirus tests per a million people, whereas most other countries have maybe a few thousand.

Reactions: avsfan09

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Can we get hockey back yet?
Coronavirus: How a Champions League match contributed to Italy's COVID-19 outbreak

Coronavirus: How a Champions League match contributed to Italy's COVID-19 outbreak

No NHL team wants to see a similar headline attributing the spread of Covid-19 to a game involving them. It's doubtful we will see any more games from this season, perhaps next as well unless we see widespread anti-viral drugs and a vaccine being available.

Besides, all of us would be mortified if someone like MacKinnon or Rantanen were infected with Covid-19. It isn't worth the risk.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Thought this was an interesting tidbit, although not all too surprising given we're talking about a nation of 364k people: Iceland has the equivalent of 47k coronavirus tests per a million people, whereas most other countries have maybe a few thousand.

An most of those people are contained in the capital region. They are probably the most representative of a total population so far. They might be a bit older than other nations, and a bit healthier... but the biggest sample yet to pull data from.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Welp got laid off today... Really hoping this stupid virus is peaking.
A buddy of mine got laid off at the start of the pandemic and found work at one of his local dispensaries. Not sure if you'll be looking around, but I would check out some lesser known retail places, just in case. That, or Amazon, or any warehouses since stuff is still being shipped around during the quarantine.

Best of luck through this ordeal, my friend.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I keep waiting to hear I'm laid off, thought it was happening this week but now it looks like that isn't happening anytime soon lol
Ironically I was feeling a little secure. Last week we were told we were in a good spot financially, but obviously the economy right now is beyond f***ed so things definitely change quick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ironically I was feeling a little secure. Last week we were told we were in a good spot financially, but obviously the economy right now is beyond f***ed so things definitely change quick.

Putting it mildly... 10m unemployment claims in 2 weeks is unfathomable. Since it has been tracked, the 4 week moving average has never crossed 700... we could basically have zero claims the next two weeks and be near 4x the highest amount on record. The fallout economically is going to be vast. I just hope that businesses take advantage of the stimulus programs to keep people employed instead of pocketing it...

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seems like a league/PA idea not to release the names publicly, but even if they decide to ok that at some point, what are the chances the Avs tell their fans which two players got the virus?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why do people think that the virus will just go away? Is it because that we are used to influenza? This virus is actively spreading all over the world right now in all possible climate combinations (cold, hot, dry, humid).

Even if we get a "peak" soon and start reopening businesses after that, it won't just leave by itself for no reason. It will come back until either:

A) They find a cure
B) They find a vaccine (they never found one for any coronavirus)
C) 60% to 70% of the population gets it and becomes immunized (even that, we don't even know yet if we truly become immunized after recovery).

Either way, it's not realistic to expect any of these things to happen in the next few months.

For those who are waiting for a vaccine there's a sizeable chance that they never find one for covid-19 (like they never found one for HIV or previous coronaviruses). Even that 1.5 year projection is wishful thinking.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Why do people think that the virus will just go away? Is it because that we are used to influenza? This virus is actively spreading all over the world right now in all possible climate combinations (cold, hot, dry, humid).

It most likely won't go away but eventually it will mutate to a less deadly version that we will have a vaccine for, so it will pop up occasionally but won't be a big problem.

Eventually so many people will have had Covid-19 or be vaccinated for it that pack immunity will make it much harder for it to spread and outbreaks will be more easily controlled.

The Spanish Flu went around the world several times, so there is most likely going to be a second and third wave of Covid-19 which is a bit scary for the countries that have locked down (like China) because they have no real immunity.

They'll most likely find a vaccine for this because of the impact Covid-19 have had. SARS and MERS were defeated without a vaccine so they abandoned vaccine research, which we now are paying for. If they had come up with a vaccine for SARS it would be easier to make one for Covid-19.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It most likely won't go away but eventually it will mutate to a less deadly version that we will have a vaccine for, so it will pop up occasionally but won't be a big problem..

That's a pretty big assumption. How would you possibly know that?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
That's a pretty big assumption. How would you possibly know that?

Because that's usually what happens with pandemics. It's very hard to get rid of them completely. It has happened with Smallpox, so it's possible we'll end Covid-19 with the help of a vaccine and a global effort but it doesn't seem like Covid-19 is a severe enough disease for that to be necessary. The more likely outcome is that we'll have a weaker version of it popping up now and again.

As for the reason virus tends to get weaker over time. A virus has no other purpose than to spread and keeping the host alive is an evolutionary advantage. This means mutations that are less lethal tend to take over while mutations that are more lethal tend to disappear.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The seasonal flu is a coronavirus, and we have a vaccine for that. It just mutates so rapidly that we have to keep refreshing our formula every year. From what I've heard, Covid-19 is evolving more slowly, so it's very possible that a vaccine, given a wide enough distribution, will be highly effective. It'll probably still hang around just like the flu (especially with anti-vaxx idiots all over the place), but for a large swath of the population a vaccine could grant immunity for a long time.

The big issue, though, is that developing, testing and manufacturing a vaccine for a new disease takes time. A year minimum, even with vast amounts of money being thrown at the problem. There are some things you just can't speed up.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The seasonal flu is a coronavirus, and we have a vaccine for that. It just mutates so rapidly that we have to keep refreshing our formula every year.

No influenza isn't a coronavirus. We've never successfully made a vaccine for any type of coronavirus.

There are yet to be vaccines or antiviral drugs to prevent or treat human coronavirus infections.

Coronavirus Vaccine in 18 Months? Experts Urge Reality Check

The big issue, though, is that developing, testing and manufacturing a vaccine for a new disease takes time. A year minimum, even with vast amounts of money being thrown at the problem. There are some things you just can't speed up.

I'd say the (much) bigger issue is we don't have the template to make a vaccine for this type of virus and it could turn into HIV 2.0 where they failed for the last 35 years to find a vaccine.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad