Corey Perry and goaltender interference in Flames v Oilers game. WATCH THE VIDEO.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think the call was technically right. I wouldn't mind if goals were allowed in situations like that, though. Who remembers the "toe in the crease" rule from the late 90s? Ugh. This disallowed goal reminded me of that rule. It did seem that disallowed goal and Ryan's disallowed goal deflated EDM (which is understandable).

The irony is that goal was disallowed for goalie interference, but somehow Perry got away with far more blatant goalie interference in the 2017 playoffs.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Similar to the Rempe call the other night. Both should be non goals because they walked into the creased on their own accord and planted themselves in a place that prevented the goalie from utilizing the top of the crease.
You’re allowed to stand in the crease tho, no?
Didn’t see any interference aside from him blocking his view. Don’t think he touched him?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Didn’t see any interference aside from him blocking his view. Don’t think he touched him?
You can stand in an unoccupied area of the crease unless the goalie decides he wants to occupy that part of the crease and starts moving there. At that point, you're committing goaltender interference.

In short, unlike on the rest of the ice, an opposing skater never has the right to occupy an area of the crease over the goaltender.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

No you can’t. He’s impeding the ability of the goalie to move to the top of his crease and properly set up for a save. You don’t have to have contact for it to be interference. That’s the way the rule is written.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I’m actually surprised he doesn’t get a penalty for hooking the goalie’s foot out from under him a couple of seconds before the goal. The commentators shook that off as if it was no biggie, because Vladar had time to reset again. But seriously, how is that play legal?

Reactions: Grantham and Lilou

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Watch the video in the OP.
the interference happened well before the shot came and Vladar was able to reset.

The issue is consistency with the rule. Perry also probably doesn't the benefit of doubt.

I was upset at the time, but I don't really care now.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't like the rule at all. Let the goalie fight for position. If a player wants to stand in the crease, the Dman or goalie should have the right to blast the guy. If a player decided to try to screen me in my crease, he ended up on his butt because I would step around him with my leg conveniently behind his legs. PK had nothing on me.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
the interference happened well before the shot came and Vladar was able to reset.

The issue is consistency with the rule. Perry also probably doesn't the benefit of doubt.

I was upset at the time, but I don't really care now.
Physical interference or not... it doesn't matter. Perry was in the crease obstructing Vladar while he was trying to play the puck.
Watch the video. If you still disagree I just don't know what to say otherwise. The video explanation is iron clad.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Pretty blatant interference and really easy call here. Add in the cross-check to the defender, the stick between Vladar's skates right before the shot and I'm confused how anyone could have an issue with this being no goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad