HF Habs: Copa America 2024 | QFs: Canada beats Venezuela 4-3 in PKs | TSN, CTV2, RDS, FOX ||| Euro 2024 (TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
A lot of European teams play tough defense. Very few lopsided scores. Switzerland absolutely came to play and was well prepared, based on what I am reading on Twitter about their formation, with an emphasis on limiting Kroos' impact.

Scotland was never really in the mix to move on, as much as I like the country itself and appreciate its single-malts.

Scotland didn't get a shot in the first half. They were better in 2nd half, and got into dangerous spots, but we're just awful trying to complete plays.

Any set pieces were pretty bad, too.

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Edmonton
Uruguay vs Panama was pretty entertaining. Darwin Nunez should have had 3. Panama woke up in the second half and could have had more than one. Christiansen always has Panama playing pretty well.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Scottish Hab

Mar 2, 2018
Glasgow
Scotland didn't get a shot in the first half. They were better in 2nd half, and got into dangerous spots, but we're just awful trying to complete plays.

Any set pieces were pretty bad, too.
We have a overly negative manager who should prob call it a day after this.

Naebody was expecting to be challenging for the title but the lack of ambition in the final two winnable games has been a joke to be honest

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
We have a overly negative manager who should prob call it a day after this.

Naebody was expecting to be challenging for the title but the lack of ambition in the final two winnable games has been a joke to be honest

yeah, they didn't play well, looked sloppy, and didn't deserve to win. They didn't move as a unit on the field and it didn't look like they had a game plan to attack Hungary. Hungary sat back, saw what scotland was attempting, and countered their strategy, oh well.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
That's it. 2-0 win for USA.

Bolivia took a couple of yellows late, as they were getting frustrated.
my hot take. The US and Mexico because of climate and stadium infrastructure get to play all these home games in the regional tourneys and beyond getting to play lightweights in Bolivia and Panama (because of my aforementioned point) it inflates their qualities as teams.
Canada would have a much higher ranking if we played more at home - which as we know presents a host issues.

also need better clinical finishing !!!
:laugh:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
my hot take. The US and Mexico because of climate and stadium infrastructure get to play all these home games in the regional tourneys and beyond getting to play lightweights in Bolivia and Panama (because of my aforementioned point) it inflates their qualities as teams.
Canada would have a much higher ranking if we played more at home - which as we know presents a host issues.

also need better clinical finishing !!!
:laugh:

Yeah, Mexico is playing in Texas. Definitely home field advantage for them. Lol

US missed a lot of opportunities in second half. It was kind of crazy.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Modric misses a penalty (handball in box by Italy) then scores in open play less than a minute later.

1-0 Croatia. They finish second if they can hold on for the win.

Reactions: Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wow Italy save it in the last minute (98th) with a glorious equalizer on a beauty pass
Croatia gutted

But still, that was fun!
LOL Croatia in total disbelief. They've won their fair share of those nail-biters.
Not taking advantage of field position towards the end by putting the ball out cheaply instead of making Italy come get it.
They definitely had Italy pointed the wrong way for most of that extra time.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Damn, I can't believe Italy won it in 98th minute.

Albania is definitely eliminated. They're out along with Scotland and Poland.

Croatia not officially eliminated. We'll have to see what comes of the other games. It seems likely they're eliminated, though.

One ROUND of 16 match is set. Switzerland vs Italy.

Reactions: Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A mistery how the official found 8 minutes of extra time in that game.
Good point and a bone of contention.
Stop the f***ing clock in real time so fans can see exactly what remains.
When a player starts wasting time stop the clock the dude will look up and get on with it.
It is a mystery and if I was betting on Croatia I'd be furious.
I gave it 5 minutes max and even that was generous.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
There are 4 games tomorrow, as Group C & D both play.

Group D:

12 p.m.: Netherlands vs Austria

12 p.m.: France vs Poland

France & Netherlands are tied in points & goal differential in the group. The next tie breaker is goals scored, which The Netherlands lead 2-1, so they top Group A.

Poland is already eliminated.

Austria is on the edge of getting to Round of 16, as a #3 team. A draw would guarantee them a spot. A loss they may still get in, but it'll come down to goal differential.

Theoretically, Austria can still win the group if they beat The Netherlands and France draws against Poland. A Polish draw would be considered a major upset. Lol Very, very doubtful that scenario plays out.

Group C:

3 p.m.: England vs Slovenia

3 p.m.: Denmark vs Serbia

England just needs a draw to get to Round of 16, although even with a loss they'll still get through. A win gives them Group A.

Denmark and Slovenia are tied with 2 pts. Slovakia has one point. If they don't pick up a win, they're eliminated. Slovenia needs a draw to be considered for Round of 16. Ditto Denmark.

Reactions: Redux91 and ArtPeur

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Colombia beat Paraguay 2-1.

But, the stunner is Brazil and Costa Rica playing to a 0-0 draw. Apparently, the Costa Rica goalie was unbelievable.

Canada back in action tomorrow night. 6 p.m. vs Peru. I won't be able to watch that game as I'm working.

Chile vs Argentina at 9 p.m.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Are the Netherlands in no matter what today?

I saw something about them needing a point but they have 4 and realistically that should secure them in as a #3 at worst?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Are the Netherlands in no matter what today?

I saw something about them needing a point but they have 4 and realistically that should secure them in as a #3 at worst?

They're already through. Four #3 teams make next round. They already have more points than #3 teams in A & B. There's 6 groups.

They can still finish 1-3 depending on today's results. The #4 team in their group is Poland and they're eliminated and clinched 4th spot in that group.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad