Player Discussion Conor Timmins

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What are your impressions about this player so far? Timmins has been in the Leafs system for almost two years now and in-between injury stints and scratches has shown an ability to put up points at a decently high-rate for a defenseman, pacing for 38 points over a full 82 game season in his parts of three seasons here. Standing at 6'2.5" and 213 pounds, he definitely fits the defenseman archetype Treliving and Berube want.

So far this season, he's put up strong on-ice results in most of his games and has shown a good amount of physicality and better defensive awareness than previously seen. Personally when Berube was hired I was hoping he'd take a play-making defenseman and unlock hidden potential, I just thought it'd be Liljegren instead of Timmins.

Reactions: banks and ACC1224

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
He's been fine, as I predicted. I find it very funny that some people froth with rage at his play for some reason (because he's tall and not very physical), like they have PTSD from watching Cody Franson or something.

Also noteworthy that Berube has started giving him PK minutes, maybe more from a lack of options because if Tanev or McCabe is in the box then someone has to play. So I expect people will start clamoring for Hakanpaa to replace him except if we're running a third pair of Benoit-Hakanpaa they're going to struggle to move the puck, and as much as some want to see McCabe-Benoit again, Benoit's play has been slipping recently.

Reactions: arso40

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
What are your impressions about this player so far? Timmins has been in the Leafs system for almost two years now and in-between injury stints and scratches has shown an ability to put up points at a decently high-rate for a defenseman, pacing for 38 points over a full 82 game season in his parts of three seasons here. Standing at 6'2.5" and 213 pounds, he definitely fits the defenseman archetype Treliving and Berube want.

So far this season, he's put up strong on-ice results in most of his games and has shown a good amount of physicality and better defensive awareness than previously seen. Personally when Berube was hired I was hoping he'd take a play-making defenseman and unlock hidden potential, I just thought it'd be Liljegren instead of Timmins.

Still pulling for the guy and hoped Berube might be the kind of change of scenery he needed. Must be bias, because I don't see the glaring deficiencies in Liljegren's game. I wonder if it's a mental thing, because he has all the tools. The assembly of those tools seems askew, like it's not so much a function of his hockey IQ, but a deep lack of confidence. I'm glad we brought in the players we did and signed TL for what we did. Can't help but think selling him now is selling low.

I'd be more inclined to move a more expensive piece quite honestly.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Still pulling for the guy and hoped Berube might be the kind of change of scenery he needed. Must be bias, because I don't see the glaring deficiencies in Liljegren's game. I wonder if it's a mental thing, because he has all the tools. The assembly of those tools seems askew, like it's not so much a function of his hockey IQ, but a deep lack of confidence. I'm glad we brought in the players we did and signed TL for what we did. Can't help but think selling him now is selling low.

I'd be more inclined to move a more expensive piece quite honestly.
Like one who doesn’t play defence and has been the main player left from the losing culture

Reactions: ITM

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's been fine, as I predicted. I find it very funny that some people froth with rage at his play for some reason (because he's tall and not very physical), like they have PTSD from watching Cody Franson or something.

Also noteworthy that Berube has started giving him PK minutes, maybe more from a lack of options because if Tanev or McCabe is in the box then someone has to play. So I expect people will start clamoring for Hakanpaa to replace him except if we're running a third pair of Benoit-Hakanpaa they're going to struggle to move the puck, and as much as some want to see McCabe-Benoit again, Benoit's play has been slipping recently.
He was total shit last season, it's not like people made up a narrative. And I was early fan of his game, but evolved my take as he looked like ass defensively. Nice to see him playing decent now, he has vision and processes plays quickly, we can use that skill set.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Better than Liljegren so far. I feel like he's more confident this season, and I like how he handles the puck and seems to clear the zone when the opportunity arises.

Utah just lost 2 defencemen long-term. Liljegren should be a member of UHC by the end of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad