Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VI: Hart, Ross and Lindsay Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

This is frankly amazing, considering McDavid has almost no one to pass to :)

duul

Jun 21, 2010

This is frankly amazing, considering McDavid has almost no one to pass to :)

Would LOVE to see that stat coupled with time spent in the offensive zone. McDavid surely plays what, half the amount of time in the offensive zone as the rest of these players?

Reactions: MikeGrier99

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Would LOVE to see that stat coupled with time spent in the offensive zone. McDavid surely plays what, half the amount of time in the offensive zone as the rest of these players?

They did post this one:

But that is time that 1 person has possession, not when others are carrying the puck and making plays. Usually, as soon as someone else aside from McDavid has to do something with the puck, the time in the offensive zone is pretty much over for us.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They did post this one:

But that is time that 1 person has possession, not when others are carrying the puck and making plays. Usually, as soon as someone else aside from McDavid has to do something with the puck, the time in the offensive zone is pretty much over for us.

I doubt that’s accurate. 1 minute with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
They did post this one:

Yea, that's not a fair assessment. I would love to see those original slot passes incorporated into a stat of time spent in offensive zone per player. Just something simple like OZ time / # of slot passes. That would be the best representation of the stat IMO.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I doubt that’s accurate. 1 minute with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone?

Yeah, think that's what they are counting. I'd love to see what kind of numbers other guys on our team have, but probably costs a pretty penny for access to the sportlogiq data. Would consider if I won the lottery :)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
There is no perfect stat for how good a player is. Baseball has WAR which is quite accurate but hockey will never get such a easy stat. That said the one I look to more than any is the percentage of your teams goals you have points in. To me it seems pretty simple, the better you are the higher the percentage of points you are in. If you are in 25% of your teams points it doesnt' matter if you have half the points as a player who does the same but has double the goals. McD owns that stat since he has come into the NHL.

The oilers make him look worse. If he was on Tampa I could only imagine the damage he would do, would be insane.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Thought this was interesting.

xeVg71m.png

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Last year McDavid played 33% of the Oilers minutes at evens, second in the NHL amongst forwards

This year he's playing 36% of the Oilers minutes at evens, that would be the most out of any forward since 2012

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
McDavid talking about how the team isn't going to out-skill anyone is just depressing as f*** to listen to.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He's starting to get pissed.

I hope he understands the target of our anger and frustration; however, their play on home ice has been barf bag worthy.

St. Louis
Phoenix
Vancouver
Calgary
Carolina

All home games the majority of the players looked like beer league spare hockey players getting called an hour before game time to fill a roster spot.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
There is no perfect stat for how good a player is. Baseball has WAR which is quite accurate

WAR isn't "quite accurate" by any means. It actually isn't even a consistent stat, Fangraphs and baseball reference calculate it differently. It was designed to be, and serves as, an estimate of a players value.

Advanced stats are powerful things and it's true it's theoretically impossible to have one kind of number that measures a players on field value. All must used with careful consideration and most people on the internet don't understand their use.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
McDavid just said again in an interview that if you don't believe in the group then you don't have to be here.
Do you think he's referring to any players the team traded away this season? This is just pure conjecture here.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
"We hear the booze"
What does that mean? Buzz?

I liked his hesitation talking about the the issue being discussed now, "

To be fair though, what he did say was this:
"The only guys that seem to believe in us are in the locker room"
When asked the follow-up:
"Well if there is guys that believe that then they should theeee...... you know, they should get out of the room"
"I don't get that sense, I don't feel that way"

Seems pretty innocent to me tbh, I didn't really get the sense that this was calling anyone out. Especially since he added that he himself didn't get that sense from the locker room (if I interpreted that correctly)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
"We hear the booze"
What does that mean? Buzz?

I liked his hesitation talking about the the issue being discussed now, "

To be fair though, what he did say was this:
"The only guys that seem to believe in us are in the locker room"
When asked the follow-up:
"Well if there is guys that believe that then they should theeee...... you know, they should get out of the room"
"I don't get that sense, I don't feel that way"

Seems pretty innocent to me tbh, I didn't really get the sense that this was calling anyone out. Especially since he added that he himself didn't get that sense from the locker room (if I interpreted that correctly)

Boos. Like fans booing them.

He was just saying that the team as a whole needs to buy in. What Inget from it is that the team was dysfunctional under TMac and it’s getting better, but they still don’t play as a unit out there.

Reactions: LaGu and Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid just said again in an interview that if you don't believe in the group then you don't have to be here.
Do you think he's referring to any players the team traded away this season? This is just pure conjecture here.
Spooner perhaps?

Maybe Chiarelli himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad