Connor McDavid’s Media Persona

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Nah. Gretzky hosted SNL at one point! He had sketches where he was singing, or in a swimsuit…he may say he’s an introvert but there are levels to this and I cannot ever imagine McDavid doing something like that.

He was also a bigger star than McDavid by some magnitude given he was playing in LA at a time when hockey had a lot more relevance in pop culture. And was clearly less awkward publicily.
You think hockey was more relevant in the 80s and 90s than it is now?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Watching the Amazon Prime Docuseries I came away from it with a completely different view of McDavid than what I perceived.

He said that he hears all the claims from the outside that he’s a robot with no emotions, but he said that he’s a natural introvert. He kept mentioning how he’s prepared for his success his whole life, meaning the hockey. It really does seem like he’s a hockey nerd that has out worked everyone and put in the time that others aren’t to make himself the best hockey player in the world as opposed to being some naturally amazing at everything elite athlete who also is very unfriendly with the media.

I came away feeling like he’s not some arrogant robot who fits all the NHL cliches. I felt sympathy towards him. He’s a guy who loved hockey and worked to make himself great and it just so happens that off the ice he’s not as naturally comfortable as a person being so outgoing to match all the attention that some of the greats in sports are. He shouldn’t get a bad reputation for his personality. He seems the same way that Lionel Messi was.

Why would anyone care about his personality?

It’s relevant to nothing except the league being able to market his personality. The league wouldn’t do that anyway, so there is no relevance to his personality at all

If the league was interested in marketing players personalities they would have done it with guys like Ovechkin and Subban, two players who have marketable personalities and were top performers in their positions.

A guy like Matthews is a legit athlete who can play basketball and baseball, and in a city like Toronto the cross sport marketing opportunities should be massive for something like that, but the league isn’t interested at all

Last edited:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
In the States, absolutely by quite a margin.
I live here and am old enough to remember the late 80s and 90s and must disagree in strong terms. There was a push of growth and culture media attention in the mid 90s after the Rangers won the Stanley Cup, but subsequent labor stoppages hurt that momentum.

I don't mean to go off topic.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He’s just a dude who plays hockey.. who cares about how outgoing he is in the media.

Hockey isn’t going to break through the noise of choices people have with their time because of one guy.

The first thing to improve hockeys popularity is stopping the whole sport from becoming a country club.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And that's perfectly fine.

Define dolt.
Look at him in the photo a few posts up. A dolt is someone who appears to be dim witted. Great player, but very uncomfortable socially which is all we (fans) get to see. He’s great on the ice but not so much off it.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Nah. Gretzky hosted SNL at one point! He had sketches where he was singing, or in a swimsuit…he may say he’s an introvert but there are levels to this and I cannot ever imagine McDavid doing something like that.
McDavid is pretty funny if you actually meet him, he just has a dry sense of humor that wouldn't play well to the media.

Jun 25, 2021
You think hockey was more relevant in the 80s and 90s than it is now?
For sure. Gretzky was huge in the early 80's in the States. Meaning I knew about him even though we had 3 channels and it wasn't possible to watch NHL games in the 80's where I lived. It was a monoculture then and hockey was one of the big 4 sports. Hockey I doubt is in the top 15 now. Hockey is much more of a niche sport with so many other options.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I follow hockey to be entertained by the on-ice product. If a player is engaging off the ice, then cool. McDavid delivers on the ice in spades.

Reactions: Acallabeth

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I am not going to take culinary advice from a website that ends in .uk
1728755705776.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad